🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
every one goes back and forth about what machine - who's machine is better

all I can add is this - I hunted a beach on Cape Cod
I started with my PI Pro and detected for 2 hrs - the waters were a little rough
I got blind sided by a wave and stuck my arm out and my coil hit a trough and I snapped my lower rod
(hold the jokes) - I had my CZ20 as a back up - jumped back in for about another 2 hrs
came out pretty equal if you ask me
around the same amount of coins - I got 2 gold & silver earing with Pi
and 2 gold & A silver ring and 2 silver toe rings with CZ
I believe if you had handed me a Tesoro or a Minelab or a Garrett - that day - I would have done
just as good

nuff said

cz-pi.jpg

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel done. I like Minelab

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I looked at all the beach guys who consistently scored I saw just two constants....."Time & location". The machines they use/prefer were seldom the same. Most of the gold they find is less then 12" deep. I'd say your post is dead on......

PS: Their knowledge of thier machines was an obvious given.

Last edited:

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
Casper... we have to get together again for a hunt... I'm going to sound like a parrot here but its the person behind the machine that makes the machine good...

Here is some finds from 5 hunts from a public beach that not alot hunt... all but one of the rings was found with the Dual Field.. I started with the GT and found a dozen silver and 1 gold on my first hunt and when the GT only nulled once I switched over to the DF.

This beach had a swim platform from the nineteen teens to the 60's ;) and I found exactly where it was :)

I ended up with 34 gold from that one spot before that tropical storm closed the mine with several feet of fresh silt and mud...

Attachments

• user32_pic24109_1315183237.jpg
    user32_pic24109_1315183237.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 128

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't agree more. As long as you are using a detector that is made for what you are doing I think it comes down to preferences. One may be slightly deeper while the other is slightly more stable but they are all very close.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Casper, Like many of us you own and use several different machines, the right tool for the right job. You are always there to share your knowledge and I have never seen you gloat over and over about any of your machines. Personally, I don't think it has as much to do with depth as it does with the way "some" people present themselves.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Caspers a great guy CS... we hunted a couple times together here in CT... what a nice each time we hunted he brought me a little something which he didn't have to ;) I took him to my mucky rocky beaches and he did very well with the gold... one of the beaches gave him a nice big fat 18k wedding band that was out there a long time... I can still see it :)

Casper, Like many of us you own and use several different machines, the right tool for the right job. You are always there to share your knowledge and I have never seen you gloat over and over about any of your machines. Personally, I don't think it has as much to do with depth as it does with the way "some" people present themselves.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe like you have said before Craig..... ATTITUDE and attention span is very important out there. You just cant go brain dead after an hour and start just taking your detector for a walk.... if you do you may as well go home. By the way..... impressive finds Craig you sand bagger lol.

Dew

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craig - youre a great guy !- for taking me out before and offering me to come again
you have the drive to get out there - you got good equipment and you got the luck

I always tell people -its is 33% the hunter - 33% the machine and 33% luck
you can be the best TH'er - with the best machine - but if your not lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time
youre not gonna get the finds
then again you could be a newbie with a low end machine and be on a virgin site and make a killing
you just never know in this hobby

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think research & planning are the most important.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
True... you know me.. I'm not a fresh drop hunter so I have to do alot of research looking for old spots... some of the places I hunt are just shoreline but back in the day they were beaches.. :) Historic Aerials is my friend :) Let me know if you have some time this summer... I have a spot I have yet to hunt that had 4 swim platforms in front of it and it no longer looks like a swimming beach... been too busy to check it out yet..

Craig - youre a great guy !- for taking me out before and offering me to come again
you have the drive to get out there - you got good equipment and you got the luck

I always tell people -its is 33% the hunter - 33% the machine and 33% luck
you can be the best TH'er - with the best machine - but if your not lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time
youre not gonna get the finds
then again you could be a newbie with a low end machine and be on a virgin site and make a killing
you just never know in this hobby

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
I have followed Casper for many years on The Depot and he has always been there to politely help others so I can really believe he is twice as nice in person. Speaking of meeting people....we have already planned next summers motor home trip and it will be up the east coast again all the way to Maine. I sure hope we can meet on my way through your beautiful state.

Caspers a great guy CS... we hunted a couple times together here in CT... what a nice each time we hunted he brought me a little something which he didn't have to ;) I took him to my mucky rocky beaches and he did very well with the gold... one of the beaches gave him a nice big fat 18k wedding band that was out there a long time... I can still see it :)

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
I think research & planning are the most important.

+1 Though I believe experience and research are one in the same. Experienced hunters are not only competent at using their machines, but also knowing where to hunt. All this comes with experience. An experienced hunter who does no research is as likely to fail as a hunter who doesn't know how to use the machine or the basics of good hunting technique.

That said, I do believe the machine used can make a difference. Some machines work better than others on some beaches. Other machines don't work well at all. Most of us know what the go-to machines are on their local beaches.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
That would be cool CS ;) I'll bring ya to my favorite mud beach :) no sugar sand where I hunt ;)

I have followed Casper for many years on The Depot and he has always been there to politely help others so I can really believe he is twice as nice in person. Speaking of meeting people....we have already planned next summers motor home trip and it will be up the east coast again all the way to Maine. I sure hope we can meet on my way through your beautiful state.

H2oHunter

May 4, 2012
Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Garett, Fisher, Troy Whtes.
Primary Interest:
the machines:metaldetector: is just as good as the hunter at the controls :thumbsup:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But mine is the best.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detector is only as good as it's operator. That's my two cents worth!

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Hope your Pi Pro coil is ok sounds like it took a hard hit .(One of my favorite detectors) Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread