AA Battery Test

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been keeping track of the battery performance in my Excal & WOT so I thought some of you could use this information. (results my vary depending on machine, coil size, and hunting conditions):

Batteries were checked with a volt meter before and after each hunt through 12 battery exchanges.

New batteries usually check between 1.54 and 1.61 volts.
Batteries will begin to noticeably fail at 1.40 volts. This will start with falsing, erratic threshold, lower then normal threshold, and general stability issues, etc.
At 1.45 volts the batteries are weaker and will start to drain faster. Depending on hunting conditions you may only have a couple of hours remaining before the batteries begin to fail. I always change batteries now at 1.45 volts to prevent having problems while I'm in the field.
I get about 12 - 15 hrs actual beach/water hunting time depending on brand of AA battery used. (This hunting time could probably be extended a couple of hours if I was willing to risk machine failure in the field.)

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using PowerGenix rechargable NiZn Products | PowerGenix Batteries for a year now, and strongly urge you to try them!

I've been keeping track of the battery performance in my Excal & WOT so I thought some of you could use this information. (results my vary depending on machine, coil size, and hunting conditions):

Batteries were checked with a volt meter before and after each hunt through 12 battery exchanges.

New batteries usually check between 1.54 and 1.61 volts.
Batteries will begin to noticeably fail at 1.40 volts. This will start with falsing, erratic threshold, lower then normal threshold, and general stability issues, etc.
At 1.45 volts the batteries are weaker and will start to drain faster. Depending on hunting conditions you may only have a couple of hours remaining before the batteries begin to fail. I always change batteries now at 1.45 volts to prevent having problems while I'm in the field.
I get about 12 - 15 hrs actual beach/water hunting time depending on brand of AA battery used. (This hunting time could probably be extended a couple of hours if I was willing to risk machine failure in the field.)

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Maybe you have already thought of this, but if you can find a used Excal battery pod you can buy and 10 battery replacement pack from onlybatteries, that will hold a charge a little longer than the stock Excalibur rechargeables. I know if gets expensive to replace AA's and rechargable AA don't work to well in the Excal as it take so much power to run the multi-frequency circuitry.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rechargeables just don't last near as long and their life expectancy sucks! Been down that road several times. Also kept track of the higher cost batteries VS dollar store batteries, not enough life difference there to make much of a difference either. I'm not complaining about the cost of batteries because I buy in bulk and I don't buy the brand named stuff anymore. I just put the battery info out there for others to look over. Regardless what battery I use, when I see them down to 1.45 or lower they're changed out unless I'm just taking a quick short spin.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
You are correct about rechargeables on the Excal. And very good info on the AA throw aways. I also buy the bulk batteries and can't tell much of a difference in hours either on some of my other uses.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Excal 2 works well with the rechargable batteries, usually 10-12 hrs. I also purchased rechargables from Only Batteries which I use in the alkaline pack. After recharging the packs they show 14volts. I have tried several times to use alkalines on my Excal 2 but they last only 2 hours, then the volume increases to the point the detector has to be shut off and batteries replaced. Alkalines work well with my old Excal, they last 10-12 hours. Any similar experiences??

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try the NiZN It is a different animal. If you decide you don't like them, I'll buy them from you! I got mine on Amazon - Cheap. At least check them out..

Rechargeables just don't last near as long and their life expectancy sucks! Been down that road several times. Also kept track of the higher cost batteries VS dollar store batteries, not enough life difference there to make much of a difference either. I'm not complaining about the cost of batteries because I buy in bulk and I don't buy the brand named stuff anymore. I just put the battery info out there for others to look over. Regardless what battery I use, when I see them down to 1.45 or lower they're changed out unless I'm just taking a quick short spin.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using thos Genix batteries too, but out of 16 batteries, I have had 9 stop charging. Generix wouldnt do anything about it. They said to return them to where I got them, but it was too late for that. Although having some decent power numbers with them, im a little leary to buy anymore. This is with my Whites V3i. Maybe its just too much of a battery hog.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
I also had problems with Genix batteries. Tried them in my old Surfmaster PI+. Bought through Amzon and providing Genix with purchase date they replaced them...but replacements also failed.

Not sure if there's a trick with charging them for longer periods that might improve their use.

Genix claimed I got the "older" build version. Out of 16 batteries I do have maybe 4 or 5 still good. They worked fairly well in my digital camera...but when they failed...they failed rapidly.

SO..my opinion..worth a try (maybe the newer ones are better) but realize there is a 1 year warranty and you can get your money back. I recommend Amazon too cause they keep track of your purchase history...which helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread