Favorite wet sand and shallow salt beach scoops?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot depends on the bottom material such as sand, shells, small rocks, etc. Stainless steel is stronger and lasts longer than Alum though Alum is lighter mainly because those scoops are smaller dia and lenght. I've used many and now prefer the Sunspot Stealth in the large size for salt and the smaller one for freshwater.
http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

Stealth Classic Scoo;p.jpg

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Sand man.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I too use the large Sunspot scoop and it is built like a tank. Although there are several good scoops on the market to choose from.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great looking scoop all right. I was also looking at the RTG. A factor in my choice is that I may only get to the beach four or five times a year. Hate to tie up so much money in a tool that sees only occasional use. If I lived closer than two hours from the sand, I would not hesitate.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do any of you make your own handles, even though Sunspot recommends against this?

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
I use the Babbs aluminum scoops with the stainless lips... I am not a fan of the 90 degree scoops...

The scoop on the right has 8 years of hard digging on it and I still use it at times... the one on the left I asked to be made custom for me... I needed the larger scoop for the Dual Field...

Attachments

• 2008_11190002.jpg
    2008_11190002.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 2008_11190003.jpg
    2008_11190003.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 187

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I too use an aluminum scoop similar to Craig's. The lighter weight is a factor when hunting for long stretches of time.

How strong are they? I ran mine over with my car. Right front wheel went right over the basket. It bent it slightly. The scoop was still fully usable for the day's hunt. The handle wasn't affected. When i got home I used a pry bar to completely straighten out the basket. Today, over a year later, the scoop is still seeing every hunt use. Light weight and strong!!!!

As far as shelling out for a good scoop: Only a rich man can afford cheap tools. If you want to beach hunt, and are serious about it, you need the right tool for the job.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Craig, Native Floridian, thanks for sharing your experiences. I am debating between and Sand Shark and White's DF; what is it about the DF that requires the bigger scoop, Craig? NF, I hear where you are coming from!
I will Google the Babbs scoops.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
Where I dig in the mud and rocks I just wanted a better chance of getting the target on the first or second scoopfuls...

Craig, Native Floridian, thanks for sharing your experiences. I am debating between and Sand Shark and White's DF; what is it about the DF that requires the bigger scoop, Craig? NF, I hear where you are coming from!
I will Google the Babbs scoops.

GroundHog

Greenie
May 9, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with the high cost of scoops I decided to build my own. I built all these for under $60.. 2 sand scoops and 2 gem scoops DSCF3755.JPG DSCF3756.JPG

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the models with the wood handles that go into the scoop basket - I hate
coins and thin rings get caught under the wood and have to fight to get out
specially in the cold months where I wear thick gloves - forget about it
I got one I used twice and wasted so much time trying to get finds out of it - it sits in corner of my
garage collecting cob webs

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Casper, thanks for the article link. Very nicely written. I was very impressed by the Nuttall scoops in the links posted at the end of your piece.
Also have an e-mail in to Mr. Babb.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread