maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting on the low tide beach today, in the Gulf of Siam. There were lots sea anemone laying on the beach, so I made a pass over one with my Excalibur, and to my surprise, I got a signal. I thought there must be some trash under it, since it wasnt a good signal. Checked out all the others, and they all gave the same signal, so they must they must have absorbed some metal, but is it just on this beach, I dont know. They were green, like a corroded copper. Didnt have a camera, but since they were high and dry, they just looked like blobs, and not much to photograph.

Not a earth shattering discovery, but it just seemed interesting, and Google was no help in identifying it. Anyone else find any sea creatures with a metal detector?

Upvote 0

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fascinating! Perhaps they do concentrate trace metals. Can't wait to hear the answer to this one.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
One time my Whites DF was giving a signal on a sand flea(mole crab). I was worried the movement of his legs was causing it, because that would cause lots of false signals on beaches I hunt. Then I thought it might be good for finding sand fleas for bait, but that was the only one it ever gave a signal on.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's wierd. First I've ever heard of a living (or dead) thing setting off a detector.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Bounty Hunter Shapshooter 2 that would reliably give an iron signal on anthills.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmmm, well i thought i was crazy but i had the same thing happen on crabs.

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do absorb heavy metals. Google... sea anemone heavy metals.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One time I accidently (sp)hit my head with the coil and got a signal. Turns out I had a loose screw.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had some sea life give off a signal and have other sea life null out my machine
on the Cape there is a type of sea weed that will completely null out my machine when I go over it
really weird

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread