Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got some questions on Bay hunting for you guys near Venice, Fl. I was going to hit the beach there today and in fact got in the water early, but it was just green nasty and still to deep to get where i needed to be. So i decided to hit a couple of bay spots where ive seen fishermen. I must have dug 100 to 150 pieces of, as Max calls them, gray matter. I was getting those darn sinker by the 3s. I ended up after less than an hour with about $3 or $4 in change and all these sinkers and surprisingly few pull tabs or bottle caps. I have to believe the can be productive spots because i hunted a spot once with a friend and he ended up with 2 gold rings out of all the trash. Im sure research could help but how would you pick a spot that might produce gold over a 5 gal bucket of lead? If anyone is hunting the bay areas give me some info or how about a hunt.

Dew

Upvote 0

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might mention that lead is not totally without value, especially to bullet casters. And if the enviros have their way, it might become even harder to get.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lead can be sold $$$$$

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone hunting these kind of areas ...... with any success? Is beach hunting the money maker or have we just not done this much? I know i used to hunt old homes and parks.... then started hitting those corn fields. Now they seem to be a lot of people taking a good look at them.

Dew

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead = Fishermen = Casting = Flying rings.

I've done a fair bit of bay hunting -- Lots of work, but nice rewards!

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
If you're willing to clean out the lead then yeah they can be productive... I've pulled quite a bit of jewelry and silver coins from these types of area's because not many have the patience to hunt them..

Anyone hunting these kind of areas ...... with any success? Is beach hunting the money maker or have we just not done this much? I know i used to hunt old homes and parks.... then started hitting those corn fields. Now they seem to be a lot of people taking a good look at them.

Dew

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I hit another one today.... and yes filled my pockets with lead. But i did find out my brother-in-law whose sons fish a good bit during their visits here are always buying weights. Took them a coffee can full today. You are right Craig.... lot of work. Its amazing how many various weights there are. I ended up with a kind of neat necklace and a couple silver earrings. There is a fair amount of clad in those places as well.

Dew

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew the oldest coin i have ever found in FL was on a bay beach (1908 quarter)it was an old boat whay. there was an old one on the intercoastal near the north jetty pm me some time

Jonnie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread