Waders or wet suit?

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those of you hunting the colder northern waters (50-60 degrees) what is your most comfortable water gear? I have neoprene stocking foot waders and a dry jacket that I could by with, but I am thinking breathable lowers would be a lot nicer. Obviously a full wet suit would be warm, but maybe too warm with all the digging that goes with a pulse induction machine.
Just feeling may way along here ... any advice welcome.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look at my recent hunt posts - I wear a wet suit
90% of the stuff I got - I got out where you could not get to with waders
ask Whydah - he used waders before May - he bought wet suit like me to get out farther
he has cleaned spots he hits from about 4 feet to shore - I hunt out from about 5 ft +
its all in what you feel comfortable with

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best grass is on the other side of the fence. You will always want to detect the spot that is just out of reach. After all you can hunt a long time in the wrong place. Gear up and go for it Bill.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wetsuits - Fit is the most important factor when purchasing a wetsuit. You must try on the wetsuit, as every wetsuit manufacturer's size chart is different. Thickness is also important. The thicker the suit, the warmer. 'Smoothie' neoprene, stretches better and is warmer in windy conditions. Seams are also important. The types of seams used in a wetsuit differ greatly. An "Overlock" seam, is found on inexpensive suits. This type of stitch lasts forever but it is not watertight, and can cause skin irritation or a rash as it protrudes against the skin. A "Flatlock" seam, is a flat stitch that does not push into your skin like the overlock. It is not watertight, but does not cause as much of a rash or chaffing problem. The "Blindstitch," is a flat stitch that does not penetrate all the way through the neoprene, so there are no stitch holes. It is watertight which makes a tremendous difference. Blindstich seams are found only on more expensive wetsuits. Last but not least, wetsuit zippers - or closures, are extremely important. "Back-zip" suits are the most common type. Look for a sturdy metal zipper (rather than plastic), and thick flaps behind the zipper to prevent water flushes. You would look for the same qualities in a "Shoulder-zip" suit. Hope this helps! [/FONT]

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, and Terry -- for that stitch clinic. I have been told that having access ports for male, um, plumbing issues, can also be critical to a happy day in neoprene!
:unhappysmiley:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been in the waters of New England every winter with my wet suit - after the initial chill of the little bit of water that gets in
till your body temp warms it up - I was in water the other day for close to 5 hrs - I get tired before i get cold
it all depends on the person - down in Fla. in winters months - friends wear wet suits - I am comfortable just wearing a sweatshirt and shorts - and the sweatshirt is not for warmth usually it is to keep the jelly fish off me

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OBN: Inland waters are like those anywhere, and can warm to quite comfortable temps in summer. But our coastal waters range from 51 to 58 in summer, with most beaches in the low 50s all summer long. Because of the strength of our wave action, even wading waist-deep in the Oregon surf would result in multiple tumbles per hour, so I looking at not much more than ankle deep except for a rare day. Still thinking I can try this with chest waders and a kayaker's dry jacket the first few outings. We shall see!
Casper, what is the thickness of the neoprene your wet suit is made of? I am thinking a 5/7 might be about right.

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A wetsuit gets me out in untouched water most of the time,I stick with waders in the winter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread