No Hallmark & a Hallmark

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went water hunting the other day. I Water Rings (2).JPG Water Rings (3).JPG Water Rings (5).JPG Water Rings (10).JPG Water Rings (12).JPG Water Rings (14).JPG Water Rings (15).JPG Water Rings (16).JPG Water Rings (18).JPG found a couple oddities.. Any help will be apreciated. Thanks in advance. One ring tests out at 18K but I am curious about the date if possible. It was the Mother's ring that was missing all of it's stones... & The other ring that tests out at 10 K but is it white Gold, seems to be prety heavy. weighs in at 11.1 grams. but the funny thing about it is it is very pitted so thats what is throwing me off, and also shows some glimmer of yellow gold on the face? Crazy stuff for sure. Paladium? Platinum? does the saltwater corrode that type of metal after a very long time in the water? No markings in the ring, Need help... Thanks Whydah

Upvote 0

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
They tell me my rings are melted beer cans? 925 and IC K. Don't you just love the salt water? I was born in Wareham and have recovered many rings in 40+ years, maybe its the alloy that melted out, the oil spill of 2003 really helped destroy metals and birds. see silver colored nuggets by Boris, Have you ever found things from Sommer Islands{Bermuda} as I think they were here around 1695, I may have a III pence but a different variety. BoB started my obsession as much is unknown on my island. I did find arrowheads too{quartz clovis} + others. That wind storm in early Jan'2012 did help a lot! Gold stays perfect and paid for the tesoro stingray, the store had a gold ring on the floor! Also pieces of plate in shape of hogge then upside down its a boat? site is near Col. greene's home "round hill" near Padanarum. He had the 5 1913 V nickels made by the Mint! I have also found gold plated lead.

Last edited:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Looks to me like erosion rather than corrosion. I personally have never seen that much but I suppose it is theoretically possible.

I've had freckled looking 14K gold but nothing as bad as yours.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Older rings end up appearing like yours after the alloy added to the gold has been eaten away, normally on a salt beach. British "silver" coins had increasing amounts of other metals added after 1920 as we had to pay for each major war. Even when they show only slight signs of corrosion you can snap the coins like carrots. Gold had all sorts alloyed in including iron to give a red gold tint.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation! Old ring, i wish you luck.

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian is right on the money with his facts.Anything lower than 24 kt has other metals mixed in and you know how kind the ocean is on metals.A nice ring none the less..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread