A"mystery" coin found at beach this morning.....solved the mystery after electrolysis

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A"mystery" coin found at beach this morning.....solved the mystery after electrolysis

Hi :hello:

Got in a couple of hours while Hank golfed this morning.

Not much to show for the time I hunted, but I did recover a "bit" of silver.

Here's some pics of my adventure this morning just before the rain started.

Thanks for looking

Lorraine

DSCF1419.JPG

DSCF1420.JPG

DSCF1428.JPG

DSCF1424.JPG DSCF1426.JPG DSCF1429.JPG DSCF1432.JPG

DSCF1453.JPG DSCF1456.JPG

DSCF1446.JPG

Upvote 0

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Wow Lorraine, that coin has seen better days! Your posts are so good showing the before and after shots. I'd have never guessed a walking liberty was under that crud. Beach shots look great, how I wish I was closer to any beach!

Keep it up Lorraine, you and all the other posters are my fix until I can get back to a beach!

Cliff

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!! I wish you luck next hunt.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the look of that beach.:leprechaun-hat:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, Lorraine. That is the condition they are in when I find silver coins in the water here

jtindover

May 8, 2012
Dover , DE
Detector(s) used
minelab Equinox 600,Minelab Excalibur 2, White's M6, Detector Pro Uni-Probe headphones, Tesoro Sand Shark , Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre 8", Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"theater of operations" I love it! Great detail on your pictures! Great work!

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Salt water seems to change a coin's identity at times, I have a clad dime that looks like boat and pig coin. Detecting is good for health too, and priceless.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still - always nice to find a half - means no one went over that spot and there could be more missed there :thumbsup:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Very cool!!! I too like the before and after pix along with the location shots. Shame you over zapped it ruining its high numismatic value. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!!!!:laughing7:

Seriously, great job!!!!

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you for your reply, Native Floridian,

I was sure hoping that it was one of these 1899 Beauties ( see attached pic) that I had found several years ago under the same muddy, salty beach low tide conditions...and would you believe I then returned to that same beach the very next day and found another Barber Liberty dated 1895...also in great condition , which I promptly gave to my brother a coin collector who lives in Florida , in appreciation for his on - going advice and assistance in this terrific hobby.

Very cool!!! I too like the before and after pix along with the location shots. Shame you over zapped it ruining its high numismatic value. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!!!!:laughing7:

Seriously, great job!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF1460.JPG
    DSCF1460.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 188

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Thank you for your reply, Native Floridian,

I was sure hoping that it was one of these 1899 Beauties ( see attached pic) that I had found several years ago under the same muddy, salty beach low tide conditions...and would you believe I then returned to that same beach the very next day and found another Barber Liberty dated 1895...also in great condition , which I promptly gave to my brother a coin collector who lives in Florida , in appreciation for his on - going advice and assistance in this terrific hobby.

This is exactly why I love this hobby! You never know what's going to show up in the scoop today. Just like everyone else I love finding gold bling, but I gotta tell ya, I really love the old coins too!!!!! And these are beauties!!!! Thanks for posting!!

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Lorraine , your post are the most enjoyable . Congratulations on your find .:thumbsup:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Interesting result. I'm wondering about the HUGE loss in weight...over 12g. A good half, I believe, should weigh about 12.5g so looks like you had some extra on there rockysand particles. But going down so low to 2.76g seems excessive electrolysis :dontknow:.

I have found some pretty bad halves in salt water (Walkers too) never as bad as yours. Interestingly I also got some coins which apparently were imbedded in the clay (deep enough) and protected from corrosion and came out looking brand new.

Yesterday I also picked up a mystery silver coin about quarter size from my landfill site. Usually those have been Washingtons but this guy is only 4.75g (instead of 6.25g). I'm using the aluminum foil method and hope to have an ID soon.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thankyou for your interesting, informative comments, Dr. Joe

Yes, that weight business is strange...I know that the coin is so thin, that a piece of it broke off as I was gently rubbing after about 40 minutes of intermittent electrolysis.:icon_scratch:

I feel bad about this coin, but I don't think I could have gotten it in any better condition..it had to be down there for many , many moons.It was not deep enough to have itself protected..just about 5" in mud.

Sometimes I find coins down deep in that gray clay...almost cement -like level, and it's true that they are in not so bad condition from being protected in that deep matter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread