Lake hunt with my excal 800 finds silvers

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Corps of Engineers finally re-opened the gates to the lake beaches, so it was time to hit them again! This time I was trying a "new to me" Excalibur 800 instead of my trusty old White's SM2.

There were a lot of pulltabs, but for once I didn't dig a single bobby pin, hair barrett, nail, or fish hook.

I did find some nice silver, although they came out extremely toasted. If you watch the video, I included a video response that shows how to clean silvers like these.

I will be going back as soon as possible because during the cleaning of the chain pieces, I found a 3rd end. I think there must be another chain in the hole, so I will be trying to find it.

Attachments

• P1000375.JPG
    P1000375.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt! :thumbsup: When I lived in Indiana we use to have to deal with the Corp Lakes the same way, could only hunt them "out of season" after the draw down and the cold weather had set in.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice silver finds, Jason..keep up the good work!

Lorraine

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason: I was just wondering if they made the reservoirs off-limits to detecting for part of the year, or whether they simply kept vehicle traffic out. We have a lot of Corps projects in my neck of the woods. I guess I need to find out what the general policy on detecting is. Wish all the federal agencies were on the same page!
And I should have congratulated you on finds I would have been thrilled with.
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, You should check your regional USACE website. I THINK they are all the same though. I know my region says that metal detecting is allowed in all pre-disturbed areas including campgrounds and swimming beaches as long as they are not a historical location.

I also think that they just close the road access to the beaches. I have parked beside the gate and hiked in multiple times in the past without trouble. A person could land thier boat next to the beach and walk in, so why can't a person walk in from the road?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traveled full time for a few years and stayed at a lot of Corp parks. Unless they changed something recently Jason is correct on the information. I never got a hassle there.

Dew

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Treasure, and the video..that little eight rocks, she will be payed for in no time!

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason:I just checked the Corps site and here are the rules from one of the FAQ pages, which among other things prohibit my use of my Lesche, if I am reading them right:

"What is the policy on metal detectors?

A permit must be obtained from the Lake Office prior to use of metal detectors. Permits must be carried by the person it was granted at all times when using a metal detecting device on government property, otherwise, anyone found digging on the land may be subject to a citation and may be asked to leave the area. Metal detectors must be used in accordance with the lake policy. Permits are granted subject to the following:

Use of metal detectors will be confined to shoreline areas of the Corps parks, except the overnight camping areas, unless you have a camping permit. Shoreline areas are defined as those park areas periodically disturbed by wave action, approximately eight vertical feet above or below the lake's "normal" conservation level of elevation 522 MSL. Use of metal detectors is not permitted in non-park or upland areas.
Non-identifiable items of nominal value (defined as less than $25.00), which are found, do not need to be deposited with the Corps of Engineers. Identifiable items (rings, watches, etc.) and items of greater than nominal value will be deposited with the Corps of Engineers for disposition in accordance with federal regulations.
Any item, which may contain historical, archaeological, or pale ontological significance, will be left in place if practical. The Corps of Engineers must be notified; if the item is or has been removed from the site, it will be deposited with the Corps of Engineers.
Any item pertaining to a criminal offense will be turned over to the local police or to the Corps of Engineers.
Digging shall be limited to small instruments, scoops, or other hand tools, which can be used by one hand only. Hand tools shall be limited to four inches wide, four inches deep, and twelve inches long.
No holes will be dug and left uncovered. All trash, litter, or other debris uncovered will be removed and placed in an approved trash receptacle. All disturbed or displaced soil will be returned to its original site. The areas will be left in as good or better condition than before hunting occurred."

I will call the local Corps office and ask about the permit thing.

Matt C

Jan 18, 2012
Waco tx
Detector(s) used
Ex cal 2 800 ,Garrett AT PRO,Garret ACE 250 [kiddos] ,Tesoro Tejan mine lab excal 2 1000 , mine lab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is prmit for waco tx

just added a line for us to sign

Attachments

• CORPS PERMIT 001 800 permit.jpg
    CORPS PERMIT 001 800 permit.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 183

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread