Cape cod which detector is best?

Xabran

May 15, 2012
South Eastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Fisher Cz21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Am from Mass and most of my detecting will be on the beaches of cape cod. My Dad has a Garret At Pro and it works good on land and dry sand here but once you hit wet salt water beaches it goes nuts.
From all that I have read so far I think I have it narrowed down to the Minelab Excalibur 2 or the Fisher CZ21. My question is , are one or the other of these 2 better then the other for New England's beaches? Are there any others better then these 2?
Just looking to get the best rig I can because this will be it for a long time.
Thanks Xab

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my new friend, detecting on the beach its a big sea so for to get best resultat of hunting, you need much metal detectors: VLF as Excalibur and Sovereign GT; PI metal detector. In my idea you buy the first Excalibur and in futur: Day after day you learn the technics of detection. In finaly you need All metal detector as package of golf. I wish you luck. Happy hunting.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt Cape waters around 3-5 times a year
go to my album - you can find finds there made on Cape
Flickr: casperther's Photostream
start on this page and work your way to the right to find more pics of cape finds
I used to use Pi Pro yrs ago there - last 4 i been using my CZ21
visit Eleanor in Dennisport area J& E detectors

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I have never been to Cap Cod so I can’t say what is best there. I hunt Delaware, Maryland and Florida, on the East Coast. The person I learned the most from has found much more then anyone I know or seen on forums. He has owned over 50 different detectors. He does it for a living and has for a long time. The only detector he uses now and for the last 5 years is the CZ 21 with the 8" coil. Regardless if he is diving, on the wet beach, dry beach, or looking for artifacts on land, this is the machine he uses. He finds silver and gold from shipwrecks on the beach and in the water. He finds gold and silver, modern jewelry and artifacts on the beach and land. He prefers this to any detector regardless of land, water or beach hunting. He does not need to look at a screen and can discriminate just with the sounds. He sells detectors also and has many choices. He will admit that on rare occasions the discrimination abilities of some detectors would be better. But he feels it is not even close to being worth the effort of learning another machine. I think if you hunt the beach and water and Excal or CZ 21 will be all you need. I have both and like both. I use the CZ 21 about 75% of the time. If your going to hunt the land also, the CZ 21 would be my choice.
Another person in the local club, with a lot of seasoned hunters, finds the most on land and the most interesting items, only uses an Ace 250. So don’t believe you need a bunch of detectors.
Some like to try and have lots of machines and that’s fun. But believe me the best and most successful hunters I know, only use one and know it very very well! A new CXT 3030 by minelab is coming out which may be better but who knows? It is only water proof to ten feet and I wouldn't want to have it in the waves.

OP
OP
Xabran

Xabran

May 15, 2012
South Eastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info , I think I am going to go with the Fisher CZ21.
I am new to this sport , currently going through a nasty divorce and sorta been in a bad place for the last 7 months. But I got my dad that Garret's AT Pro for his birthday 2 months ago and it's gotten me outa the house doing stuff again. I have used his detector a lot more than he has. Found my first real ring the other day is a sterling silver ring in shape of a Key from Avon from the 70s. The rush you get when you actually hit something good is great.
Do all of you who get in the water actually get in deep and scuba dive or do you just get in with a mask and snorkel? I have been snorkeling in the Caribbean and scuba once as a trial. Just wondering if I should get certified for diving or if I can get away with a mask and snorkel?
If any of you live in New England and want to hook up some time and teach a newbie some things let me know. I am currently in East Bridgewater but lived in my house in Wareham for last 20 years. I work as a tech for Comcast so see a lot of places I plan on hitting once I get my Cz21 while driving around at work on the cape.
I was thinking of getting my CZ21 at Kellyco which is where I got my dads Garrett Pro, anyone have any other places they use to get theirs?
Again thanks for all your help and advice, you will hopefully be hearing a lot from me in the future with pics of all my great finds(I hope).
Tom

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would try not to enter the food chain when water is warm, ie sharks,etc. you can also find them in courts{lawyers}, I have used a tesoro stingray for 7 years and hope for hurricanes, try Mr Henderson in Taunton as he is honest{another state worker}, Mine was half price and is 4.4 lbs with phones. I plan to use it the rest of my retirement, and have found much in 40 years. I posted photos in what is it? I used to see some of it for sale on Sommer Islands sites. Heritage in Texas said it is gold/silver mix{electrum} and not aluminum 20 years ago. I was born in Wareham and would think Welfleet would be on anyone's wish list{Whydah site}.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xabran

Xabran

May 15, 2012
South Eastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I am ready to get my Fisher CZ21 unless anyone wants to talk me out of it for another one?what about the Minelab Ctx-3030? It comes out in 2 weeks.....if not One last question before I order it should I go with the 8" coil or the 10.5" coil? Bigger is better right covers more area goes deeper? Just not great for tight areas? Let me know your opinion as they are not interchangeable it's a one shot deal. Thanks

Last edited:

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
You can actually swing the 8" coil easer in the water (also on the beach). The 10" covers more area but has to process more information. The 8" will pick up smaller jewlery. I would call Felix at Fisher he will explain the differences in detial. Most who have had both sizes prefer 8" for beach and water. I prefer 10" because I fell like I am cover more area but it is a hard one in the water. In the water 8" also for pinpointing. But call Felix he has been talking to users for years. The CTX 3030 is not going to be much use in water deeper then waist deep. If a wave catches the screen thats it. It may be ok for wetsand an shallow water. If you get the CZ 21 and don't like it you can ebay and get back at least 80% of what you paid.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok so I am ready to get my Fisher CZ21 unless anyone wants to talk me out of it for another one?

SurfnTurf, near you, In Boston......... kills the Gold with his Excalibur II and 2011 was his rookie year http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/267012-2011-gold-ring-totals.html

Lotta lakes and ponds all around you also, I would start researching these areas.. SwimmingHoles.info Massachusetts Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors

Good Luck..................OBN

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from mass too i use an excal and a dual field Bill Henderson sold out his shop a couple years ago

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions