NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm buying a 350 this week and planning a trip to a spot along the lake here. I've done really well in the dry sand there but from looking at old photos I can see a lot of the original beach is underwater now and I want to give it a shot in the shallows.

Is the Ace 350 up to the task? Will it perform well in brackish water? Any thoughts appreciated.

Upvote 0

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm buying a 350 this week and planning a trip to a spot along the lake here. I've done really well in the dry sand there but from looking at old photos I can see a lot of the original beach is underwater now and I want to give it a shot in the shallows.

Is the Ace 350 up to the task? Will it perform well in brackish water? Any thoughts appreciated.

250 works fine in the river and lakes around me good luck.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is high salt concentration, just turn your sensitivity down to eliminate the chatter.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If brackish you mean salt, yes it will cause you problems, you can turn the sense down till it is somewhat stable, but it is still going to give you false signals. 350 not designed to hunt salt water, but it is better than nothing if your wanting to hunt and dont have a true water detector.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that info, I'll be hunting Lake Ponchartrain, I don't know how high the salt content is, but it does connect to the gulf. I'll definitely give it a try and see how it goes.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good start, i wish you luck.

shern_0711

May 19, 2012
I live on the north shore in Slidell. I have a ace250 but haven't tried it around lake pontchartrain. I'm looking for some good places to go around the lake north or south if u have any suggestions. My wife an I are kinda new still. But post your finds!

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi shern, I'm not really sure about places to go on the Northshore, I don't get over there much. South of the lake there are plenty of old parks that occasionally give up some good stuff. The place I was talking about here is old Ponchartrain Beach, but it's closed now since a couple guys drowned themselves jumping off the rocks. I'm hoping it'll be open again sometime this summer but who knows?

shern_0711

May 19, 2012
SHRRA southern historical research and recovery assoc. I have only been a member a few months but they meet every month on the first Monday at Italian pie restaurant in Slidell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread