Why is the Tesoro Sand Shark the shallowest PI metal detector on the market?

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
That the Tesoro Sand Shark is 4 to 6 inches less deep than the other massed produced PI dectors on the market is obvious, even to the most casual observer. My question is why? Is it the high fixed pulse delay? The "printed circuit-board" coils, which, mysteriously, only Tesoro uses? Or is it simply that the machine's 1990's era electronics are outdated? I have been using the Sand Shark as a back-up PI for a number of years, but am seriously thinking of ditching it. After all, in low mineralization there are many VLF detectors that out perform the Sand Shark...what sense is there really in using a pulse induction metal detector that struggles to find a 7g. gold band at 11 inches?

The appearance of Tropical Storm Alberto forced me to spend a little time in the wet sand last weekend. I took my White’s BHID and Tesoro Sand Shark ashore for a little comparison. The location was a barrier island on the southeast coast…relatively low mineralization…I buried a 4 gram gold ring to a depth of 12 inches in the wet sand and tried to detect the ring with both machines…the result: the BHID with a 9.5 inch coil got the ring clearly in all metal and even ID’d it visually, while the Sand Shark with the 8 inch coil got no response…nothing. This is the second actual test I have conducted in the wet sand with a Sand Shark and a VLF…it is the only way to compare a VLF and a PI, and , both times, the VLF has out performed the Sand Shark. The first test was with a Gary Storm Excal. It is becoming clear to me that in an environment of low mineralization, a top VLF can out perform a PI…at least the lower tier, older technology PI units…

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evidently no one is listening, language is a major problem on this thread, substituting characters in a word to bypass censor or rules does NOT make it alright to use or post in thread.

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobbit at first I thought your videos were good and informative. But now I can see you're just out to spite Terry. IF you really gave a crap about your sand Shark how come you're not posting these concerns directly to Tesoro and telling us what their responses are? Facts don't lie, I realize that. so why not forward all this information you gathered together and see what Tesoro has to say about it. They no doubt have to know about all these threads. I know for a fact Tesoro employees see these threads. No need for direct and indirect personal attacks.
DC

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Evidently no one is listening, language is a major problem on this thread, substituting characters in a word to bypass censor or rules does NOT make it alright to use or post in thread.

I was expressing myself with the use of a PG 13 rated quote.

That said, your objection is noted!!!

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I a reading this, dinner is smelling really wonderful. My "Aunt Sue's chicken" (coated with crushed Ritz Crackers and butter-- wifey perfected the recipe), pasta in a four-cheese tomato sauce. Topped with parmasan cheese and more sauce over all. :)

Beats the debate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Hobbit at first I thought your videos were good and informative. But now I can see you're just out to spite Terry. IF you really gave a crap about your sand Shark how come you're not posting these concerns directly to Tesoro and telling us what their responses are? Facts don't lie, I realize that. so why not forward all this information you gathered together and see what Tesoro has to say about it. They no doubt have to know about all these threads. I know for a fact Tesoro employees see these threads. No need for direct and indirect personal attacks.
DC

A PR man for Tesoro has already replied to my PI test post on the "Friendly" forum. I invite you to read it and make your own decision regarding its content. I believe his handle was "Allcav" or something like that. "Rudy", one of the administrators over there, called his explanation, "voodo physics". The guy was trying to explain why a Sand Shark only air tests on a nickle to about 12 inches max. It is very interesting that he never "denied" it. He simply tried to "explain" it, conveniently forgetting that if any part of his argument was valid, the increased depth to be seen on a Sand Shark would be seen on all the other tested machines as well. You can make of his argument what you will. I stand by everything I have said about the machines in question as being nothing but the truth. Who is making "personal attacks" ? The title of this post is just the unvarnished truth, like it or no. I never said that the Sand Shark was a "bad detector". As a matter of fact, I stated on several occasions that if I could only own one hobby waterproof PI, it might be the Tesoro Sand Shark. That might be a little misleading to some people though, because my Sand Shark has interchangeable coils and the high pulse delay of the machine, while not optimum for wet sand and shallow water, actually makes the Sand Shark a very decent diving unit. But I digress. Depth is not everything in a detector, obviously. I just don't believe people should be misled into believing that the Sand Shark can stack up to the Dual Field or the HHPI or the Infinium in that department. It can't. And it is demonstratable.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Show us the Dual Field, Head Hunter, Infinium booty you have found Hobbit. What? You don't have any? Ahh, that's a shame. Does your Mom even know you are using her computer? Has school let out for summer yet? When will you be able to go to the beach and actually find something? Come on up to New York, I'll take you under my wing and show you how its really done... With your parents permission of course!

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sand Sharks unstable threshold used to drive me nuts

I have to agree with this somewhat as I bought a Sand Shark last year and used it on several beaches and found that the threshold is not really stable. I had a hard time determining the really deep targets as it was hard to distingish a target
sound from background noise on deep targets.
And although I did not have a side by side comparison, it did not seem to me to be any deeper than my DFX which I have been using on beaches for 10+ years and doing well with.
And maybe not as deep. After a few days of use I could tell the Iron double beep from the non ferrous single beep.
It's a good machine no doubt, but I'm not sure it's what I was thinking it was going to be.... when I bought it.

Last edited:

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah I know those sounds too Torrero ... but ... it happened again for me the other day ... a loud bobbypin like double twang - for all money an iron trash signal...like a sparkler firework wire - dug it as I dig all always and it turned out to be three targets at once.... two individual stainless tweezers and a chunky silver ring I posted earlier this week, I reasoned a lady may have dropped an open bag? anyway I find really green coins also double twang on rare occasions - as do multiple coins in the same drop close together.....however I do get wavers in the threshold on intense black sand (usually 6 inches under the white washed up sand - occurs in bands) but it never sounds like a target in VCO where the pitch really helps. I love my shark , but would want an excal or better PI if they will bring home more booty - but I suspect it is like casper says - 33% ability 33% luck - that is alot of gold - 2/3 of your booty without even considering your machine. For the money it has really been profitable and fun, and I look at it this way - when / if I step up to a deeper gold getter I can then go back and hunt all those classic places I feel I've bashed with the SS?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any more attacks, mocking of or insults directed towards other members and this thread will be locked....... Members who continually attack, mock, or insult other members will earn a vacation....

Watch the language, changing the spelling of a word by adding *,-,_ and so on to get it by the rules does NOT change the violation of the rules……

Straight from TreasureNet Rules Page....

“Sniping, name calling, denigration and other generally negative or abusive actions are grounds for moderation. In extreme cases grounds for banning!”

"Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone."

“Keep the discussion civil, respectful and on topic. (This is a family friendly website!)”

“You may not.... Impersonate, imitate, pretend to be, or mock another member.”

“We make no guarantees as to the lifespan of a post or thread, or attachment. We reserve the right to delete any post at any time for any reason.”

“Don't use profane or obscene language.”

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geez...Another thread where Terry and Hobbit can throw mud at each other. Terry and Hobbit, you both have good information to pass to the masses, but the personal and subliminal attacks you're throwing in each other's directions are getting annoying. Thanks for the pertinent information that makes purchasing a machine easier...No thanks for the verbal attacks. Lets all grow up a bit...High school was over years ago, wasn't it?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoro Sand Shark, is just as good or better, than any beach pulse induction metal detector costing $1,200.00 or less, and Tesoro is the ONLY water OR land detector with a LIFETIME warranty. If you can find it with a Dual Field, Infinium, or even an Excalibur, you will find it with a Sand Shark. End of story..

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me: I learn of detecting on the beach, you need PI and VLF. Over this you need All search coils too. Big and Small and very Small as excelerator.:laughing7:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself,I come to this site for enjoyment,not to bust anybodys you know what.:leprechaun-hat:

bj139

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2011
It's all B.S. but the bolded part is hilarious. The Sand Sharks unstable threshold used to drive me nuts,, if you have used the Infinium like you said you have, you would know that the threshold is rock solid, never a waver unless there is a target.

I just bought a used Sand Shark and the threshold has a beat frequency in it. It seems to be stronger under my power line. Could there be something wrong with it?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EMI can affect all Pulse Induction units. If you feel there is a problem call Rusty Henry at Tesoro 928-771-2646

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a used Sand Shark and the threshold has a beat frequency in it. It seems to be stronger under my power line. Could there be something wrong with it?

I just bought a new SS 10.5" coil and that "beat" threshold is normal according to friend with 10+ years on a SS. It's almost like a bee "galloping" sound. I personally like it but have only used it approx 6 hours. Plan for 3 day beach tour this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Dew Guru is unquestioned in his ability with the Sand Shark. He is a Great detectorist who KNOWS his detector. Anyone who knows how to get the best out of his machine will always be way ahead of the average detectorist. Same goes for an Excal, Dual Field, Cz 21, Infinium, BHID, CTX 3030, and others. Anyone who takes the time to learn their beach, mineralization, and capabilities of their machine and learns how to read their beaches and do research will always find the best gold and silver. Which particular machine will depend on conditions of your particular area and hunting style...Stuart

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee hobbit I don’t know. How does one answer a conclusion posed as a question? Why don’t you call Tesoro, I am sure that they would be glad to let you know a thing or two. After all if it is true that they are the only manufacturer who uses printed circuit board coils, they are the only one who can answer your question. What you call mysterious is most likely company propiatory.
As far as top VLF detectors for salt water beach hunting , and diving I only know of two manufacturers who make them. Both are multifrequency and their technology is seasoned or as you say outdated, certainly not cutting edge.
. I would say that the Sand Shark’s technology is also proven and seasoned. Judging by it’s populatity I am sure that many treasure hunters would agree.
Oh by the way, I don’t have a PI and never have used one nor have I met anyone or have anything to do with Tesoro. So if you are seriously thinking of ditching it, I will gladly pay the postage for having it returned to Tesoro for repair as well as the postage for your shipping the repaired detector to me.
This way I will be able to try it out and see if it works as well in Hawaii. I will then be able to fairly answer your question as I primarily hunt with an Excalibur ll 1000.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a person who owns both the sand shark and the dual field I can say there both good pi,s . Sure they have there differences like the sand sharks headphones are way more comfortable than the dual fields and the controls are easier to access and a bit nicer on the sand shark . The dual fields coil stays in place a bit better than the sharks when hunting and it floats a bit less as well than the sharks. Ive had no trouble with mineralization the threshold or any noises on the beach with the Sand Shark and I'm in Cali that has some of the worst beaches when it comes to black sand etc. In fact the sand shark is a bit smoother and quieter than the dual field on the beach. Now depth wise in actual targets not air tests there hasn't been too much difference between the two . Now the Dual field might be a bit deeper but not much. Sensitivity wise is say there pretty close. I really think some factors can make performance vary on any detector. Such as type of batteries what beach your at Low tide or high tide luck detectorist experience etc etc etc. Some people have detectors they love and others hate them go figure. I say go out there hit the beach hard and best of luck to all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread