Why is the Tesoro Sand Shark the shallowest PI metal detector on the market?

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
That the Tesoro Sand Shark is 4 to 6 inches less deep than the other massed produced PI dectors on the market is obvious, even to the most casual observer. My question is why? Is it the high fixed pulse delay? The "printed circuit-board" coils, which, mysteriously, only Tesoro uses? Or is it simply that the machine's 1990's era electronics are outdated? I have been using the Sand Shark as a back-up PI for a number of years, but am seriously thinking of ditching it. After all, in low mineralization there are many VLF detectors that out perform the Sand Shark...what sense is there really in using a pulse induction metal detector that struggles to find a 7g. gold band at 11 inches?

The appearance of Tropical Storm Alberto forced me to spend a little time in the wet sand last weekend. I took my White’s BHID and Tesoro Sand Shark ashore for a little comparison. The location was a barrier island on the southeast coast…relatively low mineralization…I buried a 4 gram gold ring to a depth of 12 inches in the wet sand and tried to detect the ring with both machines…the result: the BHID with a 9.5 inch coil got the ring clearly in all metal and even ID’d it visually, while the Sand Shark with the 8 inch coil got no response…nothing. This is the second actual test I have conducted in the wet sand with a Sand Shark and a VLF…it is the only way to compare a VLF and a PI, and , both times, the VLF has out performed the Sand Shark. The first test was with a Gary Storm Excal. It is becoming clear to me that in an environment of low mineralization, a top VLF can out perform a PI…at least the lower tier, older technology PI units…

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all B.S. but the bolded part is hilarious. The Sand Sharks unstable threshold used to drive me nuts,, if you have used the Infinium like you said you have, you would know that the threshold is rock solid, never a waver unless there is a target.
I use to own an Infinium LS. Doesn't work very well in the Gulf Of Mexico. Very UNSTABLE,so it's not the detectors fault, A lot o the problem is got to do with where you are hunting. I live in Fl.The Infinium and the AT PRO do not work go in FL. waters and Garrett knows of this Problem. In AZ. the Infinium Work great ,but the AT PRO suck so bad that some dealer won't sell it in AZ.The sand shark work well in AZ. but works great in FL. this just show that it's not the detectors that are bad ,but the ground that you are hunting in .I now own a sand shark,sea hunter AT PRO and soon will own a Tiger shark for fresh water. HH Ron Lord 35years of hunting!!

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Tesoro sand shark and the excalibur 1000 I personally prefer the Excal but The sand shark isn't crap.. my first platinum band was with the shark... I have dug pull tabs at least 12-16 inches... 4 scoops with the stavr scoop... its not bad.. personally I like it... I don't want a war but just expressing my view.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread, worn out old war.The Sand Shark is a fine PI machine that has proven itself time and time again.

Pull Tab Hunter

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2013
Sunny SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use to own an Infinium LS. Doesn't work very well in the Gulf Of Mexico. Very UNSTABLE,so it's not the detectors fault, A lot o the problem is got to do with where you are hunting. I live in Fl.The Infinium and the AT PRO do not work go in FL. waters and Garrett knows of this Problem. In AZ. the Infinium Work great ,but the AT PRO suck so bad that some dealer won't sell it in AZ.The sand shark work well in AZ. but works great in FL. this just show that it's not the detectors that are bad ,but the ground that you are hunting in .I now own a sand shark,sea hunter AT PRO and soon will own a Tiger shark for fresh water. HH Ron Lord 35years of hunting!!

Hi Ron,

I also own a Sea Hunter. I just got one from Bart. Do you hunt Naples beaches most with a Sea Hunter or Sand Shark?

Regards,
Bill

Last edited:

bj139

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2011
I have not seen a post where someone said their Sand Shark was broken. I recently bought one and figure if it works I have a better chance at finding metal than with another brand that is broken again.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS: Old thread true, but little can be resolved by approaching this as a battle of strong opinions/war as there are no meaningful specifications for measurement and the ground matrix is not only complex it is location specific. Yes - the Sand Shark is a fine PI machine that has been proven time and time again. However, this can also be said for the Dual Field, Sea Hunter, and the Infinium. All of these PIs have slightly different capabilities and engineering tradeoffs .The trick is using the detector which works best at the location hunted and your hunting style.
When I consider a new detector, I first focus on the machine human interface. This is crucial as there is no sense in buying something that I cannot stand, no matter how well it performs. Next I focus on performance, as I want the best that I can afford. The final selection criteria is the life cycle cost(s) over the period that the detector will be owned. Life cycle cost(s) include purchase price, plus operation and maintenance cost(s) less the projected resale value when the detector will be sold/scrapped.
Be aware that paying less for a particular metal detector may actually cost you more if that detector has low resale value/high maintenance cost(s).
Likewise a life time warranty is a two edged sword in that it is only of value to the original purchaser and is of negative value to the second hand buyer as the lifetime warranty is not transferrable. In this case it is far more desirable to buy new.

Old thread, worn out old war.The Sand Shark is a fine PI machine that has proven itself time and time again.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ron, I was considering a pi machine, and the price is right on the Sand Shark. I live in New Mexico and do mostly dry hunts. Am I to understand the Sand Shark would be a good pi for my dry hunts? I mostly look for lost stuff around and under rocks. My VLF can only do so much. The soil is bad here as far as mineralization. Thanks for the post.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a person who owns both the sand shark and the dual field I can say there both good pi,s . Sure they have there differences like the sand sharks headphones are way more comfortable than the dual fields and the controls are easier to access and a bit nicer on the sand shark . The dual fields coil stays in place a bit better than the sharks when hunting and it floats a bit less as well than the sharks. Ive had no trouble with mineralization the threshold or any noises on the beach with the Sand Shark and I'm in Cali that has some of the worst beaches when it comes to black sand etc. In fact the sand shark is a bit smoother and quieter than the dual field on the beach. Now depth wise in actual targets not air tests there hasn't been too much difference between the two . Now the Dual field might be a bit deeper but not much. Sensitivity wise is say there pretty close. I really think some factors can make performance vary on any detector. Such as type of batteries what beach your at Low tide or high tide luck detectorist experience etc etc etc. Some people have detectors they love and others hate them go figure. I say go out there hit the beach hard and best of luck to all.

I am glad that you mentioned the "near-neutral buoyancy" coil of the Dual Field. I can't why White's, a company that should know how to make water detectors, continues to make coils for water detectors that want to float like corks. So your not only cussing out the POS headphones, but fighting to keep the coil near the sand while in the water!
I have use both and have to agree with Terry completely.

Sent by SANDMAN

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS: Old thread true, but little can be resolved by approaching this as a battle of strong opinions/war as there are no meaningful specifications for measurement and the ground matrix is not only complex it is location specific. Yes - the Sand Shark is a fine PI machine that has been proven time and time again. However, this can also be said for the Dual Field, Sea Hunter, and the Infinium. All of these PIs have slightly different capabilities and engineering tradeoffs .The trick is using the detector which works best at the location hunted and your hunting style.
When I consider a new detector, I first focus on the machine human interface. This is crucial as there is no sense in buying something that I cannot stand, no matter how well it performs. Next I focus on performance, as I want the best that I can afford. The final selection criteria is the life cycle cost(s) over the period that the detector will be owned. Life cycle cost(s) include purchase price, plus operation and maintenance cost(s) less the projected resale value when the detector will be sold/scrapped.
Be aware that paying less for a particular metal detector may actually cost you more if that detector has low resale value/high maintenance cost(s).
Likewise a life time warranty is a two edged sword in that it is only of value to the original purchaser and is of negative value to the second hand buyer as the lifetime warranty is not transferrable. In this case it is far more desirable to buy new.

Well spoken. I would also add, pertaining to warranty, that a "lifetime warranty" is only good if the company chooses to honor it, which, in my case, Tesoro did not. I have had more "lifetime warranty" experiences with White's (even when bringing in used machines whereby I was not the original owner) than I have with Tesoro. Therefore, I don't really consider Tesoro's guarantee of "lifetime warranty" worth much. Of course, many have had different experiences; I won't deny that. However, mine was less than favorable; enough so I will not return to that brand again!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well spoken. I would also add, pertaining to warranty, that a "lifetime warranty" is only good if the company chooses to honor it, which, in my case, Tesoro did not. I have had more "lifetime warranty" experiences with White's (even when bringing in used machines whereby I was not the original owner) than I have with Tesoro. Therefore, I don't really consider Tesoro's guarantee of "lifetime warranty" worth much. Of course, many have had different experiences; I won't deny that. However, mine was less than favorable; enough so I will not return to that brand again!

DBSMonkey, You HAVE to be a White's employee or dealer. There is just no other explanation for your nonsensical posts..

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DBSMonkey, You HAVE to be a White's employee or dealer. There is just no other explanation for your nonsensical posts..

Explain how it's nonsense!! Give a good explanation this time, not skirting the issue or name-calling. I wish I were a White's dealer, but they are too numerous in my neck of the woods! The other explanation, Terry, is what I am saying is true!! I know it's confusing and maybe hurtful, but Tesoro isn't as perfect as you claim; they have lost me as a customer, with CAUSE!! I'm not claiming White's Electronics is perfect. There are several posts from customers who aren't happy. I'm just claiming Tesoro isn't as perfect as YOU say it is!! I say nice things about White's because they have kept their word with me (even beyond expectation) and their machines have worked well for me. I am considering a Fisher CZ to try out as well. I am not stuck on one brand; I just like to use what works and use a machine that is backed with good customer service.

P.S. Terry, I am still waiting on the explanation on the other thread of how the SS performed in San Diego and in Longbeach, Washington. Also, you haven't yet explained how Pulse Delay changes stability of a PI. I will await your knowledgeable explanation.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You just have know the history of this thread. Sort of dates back to the era when men were still shooting each other in duels in the name of honor and pride. :laughing7:

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A time when men fought for kingdom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread