Why is the Tesoro Sand Shark the shallowest PI metal detector on the market?

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
That the Tesoro Sand Shark is 4 to 6 inches less deep than the other massed produced PI dectors on the market is obvious, even to the most casual observer. My question is why? Is it the high fixed pulse delay? The "printed circuit-board" coils, which, mysteriously, only Tesoro uses? Or is it simply that the machine's 1990's era electronics are outdated? I have been using the Sand Shark as a back-up PI for a number of years, but am seriously thinking of ditching it. After all, in low mineralization there are many VLF detectors that out perform the Sand Shark...what sense is there really in using a pulse induction metal detector that struggles to find a 7g. gold band at 11 inches?

The appearance of Tropical Storm Alberto forced me to spend a little time in the wet sand last weekend. I took my White’s BHID and Tesoro Sand Shark ashore for a little comparison. The location was a barrier island on the southeast coast…relatively low mineralization…I buried a 4 gram gold ring to a depth of 12 inches in the wet sand and tried to detect the ring with both machines…the result: the BHID with a 9.5 inch coil got the ring clearly in all metal and even ID’d it visually, while the Sand Shark with the 8 inch coil got no response…nothing. This is the second actual test I have conducted in the wet sand with a Sand Shark and a VLF…it is the only way to compare a VLF and a PI, and , both times, the VLF has out performed the Sand Shark. The first test was with a Gary Storm Excal. It is becoming clear to me that in an environment of low mineralization, a top VLF can out perform a PI…at least the lower tier, older technology PI units…

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And now for a completely different opinion..

The Tesoro Sand Shark is one of the finest and most versitile pulse induction beach machines on the market today, with a stellar reputation and a lifetime warranty - the ONLY lifetime warranty in the industry. It offers TWO operating modes, a customizable tone frequency so that you can adjust it to your personal hearing for maximum signal recognition; the smoothest threshold on the market; outstanding battery life; ALL controls are OUTSIDE the box and easily accessable; and it can compete with ANY other PI unit costing $1,200.00 or less.

I have found gold, silver, platinum, brass, bronze - ipods, phones, BOBBY PINS, you name it! Depth with my 8" coil is well over 15" on a freaking dime! I have found small gold earrings at 10" and gold hoops at 17". So I guess we disagree..

That the Tesoro Sand Shark is 4 to 6 inches less deep than the other massed produced PI dectors on the market is obvious, even to the most casual observer. My question is why? Is it the high fixed pulse delay? The "printed circuit-board" coils, which, mysteriously, only Tesoro uses? Or is it simply that the machine's 1990's era electronics are outdated? I have been using the Sand Shark as a back-up PI for a number of years, but am seriously thinking of ditching it. After all, in low mineralization there are many VLF detectors that out perform the Sand Shark...what sense is there really in using a pulse induction metal detector that struggles to find a 7g. gold band at 11 inches?

Scottyboy

May 15, 2012
Northwest Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I, Whites Prizm III, Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher 1280-x, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm a newcomer here, and to metal detecting in general, so I'm not qualified to comment on the performance of any detector.
That said, I'm NOT a newcomer to life.

Given your post history, and your obvious position on the matter, this post reeks of childish vendetta.

I mean, did you really need ANOTHER thread?

I came here to learn about beach detecting, not to watch 2 grown men in a pizzing contest.

You guys need to get a room (or another forum) and make out or something... you're obviously obsessed with one another.

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
I'm a newcomer here, and to metal detecting in general, so I'm not qualified to comment on the performance of any detector.
That said, I'm NOT a newcomer to life.

Given your post history, and your obvious position on the matter, this post reeks of childish vendetta.

I mean, did you really need ANOTHER thread?

I came here to learn about beach detecting, not to watch 2 grown men in a pizzing contest.

You guys need to get a room (or another forum) and make out or something... you're obviously obsessed with one another.

The main reason I made the post is so that newcomers can see what members who are not in it for the money and do not religiously tout one brand over the others , really think and really experience in the field. The only thing I am "obsessed with" is the truth. Some members of this forum do not share this obsession. The have other "obsessions"...like touting their websites and conning unknowing "newbies" into paying them for lessons and advice...here is a quote, a "copy and paste", from another thread on this forum:
"Oh, and EVERY time you jokers get into with me, it drives traffic to my web sites. I MAKE money off of you, and the other haters. Think about that. I do."

I think that members who use this forum for the advancement of their business interests should be barred from the site. If that sounds like a "childish vendetta" to you, so be it.

At least I am not trying to make money off of you.

Last edited:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hobbit, Hobbit, Hobbit ..... Grow up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Hobbit, Hobbit, Hobbit ..... Grow up.

What I have done that is childish eludes me. The Sand Shark IS the shallowest massed produced PI on the market. The fact that in low mineralization it can't even beat a good VLF speaks volumes about its performance. I have not read this forum for a couple of weeks and, I suppose, have just as much right as anyone else to post my observations and opinions.

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to inflame this thread whatsoever but I have to agree with Hobbit's views on the Sandshark.
It is the shallowest seeking PI currently available but that does not make it a bad detector. I also agree 100% that some VLF's will hunt as deep as PI's in low mineralised/black sand free beaches.
When people's views are set in concrete then any further debate is futile really.
Tony.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Members can disagree and they can debate, but dont turn the thread into a flame war like the last one........

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Members can disagree and they can debate, but dont turn the thread into a flame war like the last one........

That is definitely not my style......I always aim to be civil and polite as well as make posts that have substance.
Thanks,
Tony.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony, my post wasn't directed at you, it was in general. The other thread on this topic is on the verge of being locked. Any more flaming on it and it will be locked....

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hobbit, I have seen your posts on the various forums, and believe you are trying to offer useful data. I just ordered a Sand Shark anyway, and the lifetime warranty has a lot to do with it as we're talking a saltwater machine. I like the machine's simplicity, reputation and price point for a first PI. I also continue to be impressed by the wisdom and actual experience of many of the folks that use them -- guys like Casper and Terry and DewGuru among others. Finally, the beaches in Oregon are loaded with minerals and black sand. I suspect a VLF would be at a major disadvantage. What other PI would you suggest for an under $600 street price with such a fabulous warranty?

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 mans machine, 1 mans result. 1 man with no reporting history at T Net other than a single post of a few bullets found with a GT. If you ask me, i'd say the 1 mans machine is broke. (If his claims are actually unimagined).

Now onto an experienced shark hunter:

Having found hundreds of golden trinkets, from the smallest of the small, to the largest of the large, with the Shark, a super large portion of which is well documented at this site (amongst others) [and within my signature line below] it is quite clear that the Shark is more than capable of getting the job done.

Over the last 45 days, I tossed in an Excal into the "swinging armament" with a 10" coil. While it has also found some goodies, it's been no where near the amount produced by the Shark during the same period, likewise, with the Excal i've been using the Shark has produced finds at depths the Excal couldn't register at all.

Being in the unique position to afford any machine of my choice, I stand behind my Shark 100%.

Opinions are like aholes, everyones got them. One things for sure: You can't argue with results.

Happy Hunting Brethren!

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Hobbit, I have seen your posts on the various forums, and believe you are trying to offer useful data. I just ordered a Sand Shark anyway, and the lifetime warranty has a lot to do with it as we're talking a saltwater machine. I like the machine's simplicity, reputation and price point for a first PI. I also continue to be impressed by the wisdom and actual experience of many of the folks that use them -- guys like Casper and Terry and DewGuru among others. Finally, the beaches in Oregon are loaded with minerals and black sand. I suspect a VLF would be at a major disadvantage. What other PI would you suggest for an under $600 street price with such a fabulous warranty?

Honestly, I would spend 225.00 more and buy a Dual Field with a two year warranty. It will give you as much as a 6 inch depth advantage over the Sand Shark. How many finds would it take to covrr the difference in price? White's charges a flat 65.00 for labor plus the cost of parts. Repair costs from White's are almost always under 100.00 from what I understand. If you swing a Dual Field regularly for two years at a productive beach you will almost certainly have enough gold to pay for any potential repairs to your Dual Field for life. The depth advantage on high specific gravity targets is just too great to ignore. If we were only talking about 1 or 2 inches it would not. We are talking about 5 to 6 inches. It is just a huge difference in perfprmance. If you are not detecting in the water, don't discount the possibility that a good multi frequency Vlf might out perform the Sand Shark. Even in black sand. I did a test with a Sand Shark and an Excal on the black sand beaches of San Diego and the Excal beat the Sand Shark in discriminate and in pinpoint mode.

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
1 mans machine, 1 mans result. 1 man with no reporting history at T Net other than a single post of a few bullets found with a GT. If you ask me, i'd say the 1 mans machine is broke. (If his claims are actually unimagined).

Having found hundreds of golden trinkets, from the smallest of the small, to the largest of the large, with the Shark, a super large portion of which is well documented at this site (amongst others) [and within my signature line below] it is quite clear that the Shark is more than capable of getting the job done.

Over the last 45 days, I tossed in an Excal into the "swinging armament" with a 10" coil. While it has also found some goodies, it's been no where near the amount produced by the Shark during the same period, likewise, with the Excal i've been using the Shark has produced finds at depths the Excal couldn't register at all.

Being in the unique position to afford any machine of my choice, I stand behind my Shark 100%.

Opinions are like aholes, everyones got them. One things for sure: You can't argue with results.

Happy Hunting Brethren!

Tell you what, I don't normally post finds of any kind except to ask questions. You will no doubt note that "guru" is nowhere in my title and I don't need to stroke my ego. I don't hunt tourist beaches for shallow, recent drops, but I will post my finds this summer starting this weekend. I operate out of a boat, so please be patient.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And now for a completely different opinion..

The Tesoro Sand Shark is one of the finest and most versitile pulse induction beach machines on the market today, with a stellar reputation and a lifetime warranty - the ONLY lifetime warranty in the industry. It offers TWO operating modes, a customizable tone frequency so that you can adjust it to your personal hearing for maximum signal recognition; the smoothest threshold on the market; outstanding battery life; ALL controls are OUTSIDE the box and easily accessable; and it can compete with ANY other PI unit costing $1,200.00 or less.

I have found gold, silver, platinum, brass, bronze - ipods, phones, BOBBY PINS, you name it! Depth with my 8" coil is well over 15" on a freaking dime! I have found small gold earrings at 10" and gold hoops at 17". So I guess we disagree..

It's all B.S. but the bolded part is hilarious. The Sand Sharks unstable threshold used to drive me nuts,, if you have used the Infinium like you said you have, you would know that the threshold is rock solid, never a waver unless there is a target.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hobbit, What State are you huntting in ?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whole lotta yadda, yadda, yadda from the haters and baiters.. Not much booty though. Taking me on is one thing Hobbit, insulting Dew, well, you just shot yourself in the foot. If I were you I would hobble on off to the beach and try and find some booty...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have said it before - 33% the machine - 33% the user - 33% luck
I believe that the items i have found - I would have found with any machine you put in my hand
If what you own works for you - then fine
what works for me - works for me just fine
My VLF works just fine in mineralized and black sand as PI I own
its all how you use it
they are all made to find all metals - if you are not finding as much
as you think you should or as much as others hitting the same spots - maybe you should lower
your discrim. - I hunt mostily in all metal - so if I miss something - its because it is too deep that day
(could be sanded in) or because I was swinging sloppy
I would never blame my machine
Its either my fault or luck is not with me that day

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobbit I would send in the Sand Shark for a checkup as it either isn't operating at specs. or you don't know how to set it correctly. Or maybe you just want to stir up trouble.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Happy Hunting Brethren!

Money talks, xxxxxxxxxxxxx walks!!!! This post is money!!!!!!!

This post made by an experienced hunter without an axe to grind says it all!!!!

DewGuru's results directly contradict the negative feedback by the OPs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread