lostlugnut

Greenie
May 16, 2012
Emerald Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the market for a detector that I can use here in the Emerald coast. It will be used in all kinds of environments from sand both dry and wet, knee deep salt water to snorkeling depth, brackish water etc. I would love a excal but that is more then this old boy makes. I am in the $500-600 range, maybe a little more. Which one would fit the bill best. I understand that I will be digging iron I will be paid in exercise with those targets. If you have nay other suggestions from the ones listed please let me know. I am not against buying used if someone knows any leads.
I think I have narrowed it down to...

Sand Shark
Seahunter Mk II

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fyi if you watch the boards you can pick up a good used excal for $600 to $800. I have 2 excals i bought used, 1 i paid $$ 475 for, added a wot coil and a extended shaft for a total of $ 600. The other i picked up for $750, both worked perfectly.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen used White's Surfmaster PIs go for about $600 on the auction sites. That might be a consideration for you! There is a lot of information and opinions about the performance of the Waterproof PI machines on this Forum and others.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of your two options listed, hands down my vote would be for the Sand Shark. Performance, price, and warranty.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you much monney i advice you buy all metal detectors: PI and VLF. Detecting on the beaches you need PI and VLF. Its my idea so i wish yoou luck. In other hand when bought All metal detectors its good for you: Just to know defference beteween make metal detectors.
Excalibur II for under water.
Sovereign GT with 10'' and Wot 15'' when the beach much iron and salt water you need Coil 8'', because the good target was between trash.
PI: when the beaches much sand you need PI. its more deep.
Happy hunting. Hamid:dontknow::dontknow::bronzetrophy:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
New, the Tesoro Sand Shark is a good choice. No disputing dew guru's great number of finds. Used, my vote would be for a Whites Dual Field. I have both and the DF is a little deeper in my opinion. The SS is my backup and performs well. I did put a weight on the DF coil so I do not have to fight the bouyancy of the coil and it works very smoothly in the water. It does make the coil too heavy on the wet sand for hunting long periods of time however. The SS coil tends to flip up in the surf, and the support bracket for the coil they make is poor fitting. So the best option is to make your own out of plexiglass as I did. In the long run you really should invest in a good VLF machine like the Excalibur or any of the other top notch machines for the beach as finances permit. I finally spent the money on an excalibur the first of the year, and it has been awsome on the beach and wet sand. I have hunted eight times with it this sprinng and already it has produced four gold rings and one with diamonds! Needless to say my confidece in the Excalibur II has grown everytime I go out. In the water the DF is my favorite. Now, this is only my second year of water and beach hunting, although I do have over twenty years of relic hunting, and there are lots of more experienced treasure hunters on this site for the water. They have been a world of help to me and are always more than happy to help out with the best info you will ever get on anything to do with beach and water hunting. They have cut my learning curve greatly and I appreciate all I have learned from them. That being said, do not cut cost on your water scoop. It is the most important piece of equipment in your water hunting arsenal. It does no good to get a good signal with whatever detector you use if you lose the target to the surf or wave action. Best of hunting!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take a look at some of the threads there is good info in them if you can sift thru the ... you know. There isnt a lot of minerals here in Fl so like TH said you might also think about a VLF CZ or Xcal seem to be the chosen machines. There are times these beaches really produce.... but when they do the down side is they produce more trash to sift thru as well. A PI is a deep machine and a beep and dig.... EVERYTHING, which you may or may not know. A VLF gives you more tones and you can disc out iron which includes fish hooks, bottle caps, cheap jewelry, bobbie pins, and crabs traps. If you have patience any machine will pay for its self out there. If you want new then you have your choices and DewGuru does great with his as do other hunters. AMAN to that water scoop post.

Dew

Last edited:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Wow bigscoop, that is a great price on a really good machine. Wish my budget would allow me to buy it, but after buying four machines since last summer I can not do it right now. Guess it shows I am no longer married when I get to buy most of the big boys toys that I want, but even with that, I still have my spending limits.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can find a good used PIPro - whites - for $300 + look for weighted (neutral buoency coil )
have seen new/used dual fields for $400+
if you can find a good used CZ20 - might be good too

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of your two options listed, hands down my vote would be for the Sand Shark. Performance, price, and warranty.

Ditto. Good Luck!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
SS owners, can the warranty be transferred?

Sand Shark
Seahunter Mk II
Both are good detectors but
Best pratices would be to see what the locals are using before purchasing a detector.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS owners, can the warranty be transferred?

Sand Shark
Seahunter Mk II
Both are good detectors but
Best pratices would be to see what the locals are using before purchasing a detector.

None of Tesoro's warranties may be transferred to another....:BangHead:

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I vote for Sea Hunter, interchangeable coils, battery compartment seperate from electronics, and adjustable pulse delay.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Doesn't really matter, as none of us sell our Sand Sharks. If we did, Tesoro still honors the warranty if it is a manufacturing defect. Anyone else ever have a different experience with Tesoro?

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Garrett Sea Hunter MKII. Very good performance and solid detector and being able to swap out a possible faulty coil or headphones is a major advantage. I had the Sand Shark many years ago and it is a good machine BUT doesn't get the rings as deep as the Garrett. I could still happily swing the SS but knowing that I am missing the deeper stuff bothers me.
I would guess about 20% less depth than the Garrett.
Tony.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't really matter, as none of us sell our Sand Sharks. If we did, Tesoro still honors the warranty if it is a manufacturing defect. Anyone else ever have a different experience with Tesoro?

None of us sell our Sand Sharks eh? I beg to differ... I know about 5 people that did... including me.

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
I would go for a used machine to fit your budget - either the Excal or the Whites Dual Field. I know multiple top water hunters who stopped using the Garett PI s and switched to the DF due to better results with small gold. Having used multiple PI machines for many years I can't say enough about the DF for beach or water hunting. However if your environment is trashy go for a used Excal first.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny that no one mentions that Tesoro really laboured the importance of using a variety of coils with their water machines (7", 8", 10" and 10.5" I think they had) now its back to picking 8.5" or 10" and hope you have not made a mistake.

Now for me the dual field coil on the DF doesn't work quite as well as it does on the TDI but its a step foward for Whites, whilst Tesoro took a step back.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Of the two PI's in your price range, I elected for the Sea Hunter Mark II. I travel a lot so the interchangeable coils was very important to me as I hunt in a lot of different conditions. Under normal beach use, the 14 inch coil was my biggest deciding factor. I can cover much more beach than the normal 10 in coil in the same amount of time. Changable headphone is another nice feature and the Sea Hunter is as deep as most detectors on the market. Mel Fisher's dive team discovered the Achoia and has made over $400 Million using Sea Hunters, that was good enough for me and I sure haven't been sorry.

I forgot to add, the Sea Hunter is adjustable and has adjustable pulse delay. Not to important if you hunt the same beach everyday, but if you plan to hunt different locations, it can be a big plus.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread