Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at CWB Friday and couldnt believe with all the gold people were wearing I couldnt scoop any. There was a huge cobia cruising the waist deep water. He made my hair stand up like Buckwheats. He had to weigh 80 or 90 pounds and had a smaller one swimming with him. Circled me twice within 6 feet so I got a good look. Heard people up and down the beach tralking about the shark that swam by. I thought he was a shark for a few seconds.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at CWB Friday and couldnt believe with all the gold people were wearing I couldnt scoop any. There was a huge cobia cruising the waist deep water. He made my hair stand up like Buckwheats. He had to weigh 80 or 90 pounds and had a smaller one swimming with him. Circled me twice within 6 feet so I got a good look. Heard people up and down the beach tralking about the shark that swam by. I thought he was a shark for a few seconds.
PHEW! A cobia, I feel so much better now. I just did a little checking and would have to agree it was a cobia. Yeah, it was nuts, I even saw at least a dozen little kids wearing gold and silver chains. Oh well, there's always next time.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the water, detecting, watching the sights, scooping up some tunes....'Great day!" :thumbsup:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. You just cant beat this weather for detecting in the water.

Not much happening here with no water machine right now. Its morning or night because you just cant detect with the crowds ON the beach. I was reading the paper this morning.... looks like CLB has had a few sting ray incidents this year. They were talking about what to do and how painful it can be.

Dew

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WillieD, I enjoyed your video and narration..very nice!

I like that "Peace" pendant:headbang:

Be careful of those ocean critters.

Lorraine

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the big one cruising with the smaller one on saturday morning. They have that shark kinda look and the way they swim too. Just prior I saw 2 HUGE spotted eagle rays cruising, I imagine the cobia were hanging with them or the manatee. Having caught quite a few I knew pretty much immediately that they were cobia, but the VW sized manatee that nudged my rear end gave me a startle before i realized what it was :)

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. You just cant beat this weather for detecting in the water.

Not much happening here with no water machine right now. Its morning or night because you just cant detect with the crowds ON the beach. I was reading the paper this morning.... looks like CLB has had a few sting ray incidents this year. They were talking about what to do and how painful it can be.

Dew
It's a great time of year. I can sympathize with being without your water machine. Hopefully that doesn't last too long. They usually have a bunch of people getting stung every year. The tourists don't heed the warnings and some of us who know better get complacent. I know I've caught myself on multiple occasions. It seems that just as I realize I'm not shuffling my feet and I restart, I see one darting away.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WillieD, I enjoyed your video and narration..very nice!

I like that "Peace" pendant:headbang:

Be careful of those ocean critters.

Lorraine
Thank you Lorraine. My daughter is a fan of the peace pendant as well.

If the critters play nice , then so will I.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the big one cruising with the smaller one on saturday morning. They have that shark kinda look and the way they swim too. Just prior I saw 2 HUGE spotted eagle rays cruising, I imagine the cobia were hanging with them or the manatee. Having caught quite a few I knew pretty much immediately that they were cobia, but the VW sized manatee that nudged my rear end gave me a startle before i realized what it was :)
I've seen them on a few occasions. Now that I know what they are I feel better. I've only seen a manatee down there the one time. It didn't take long for the tourists to surround it. I checked it out for a second or two and got back to hunting.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never caught a cobia...what do you think that one weighed?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread