My Excalibur Almost Died

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I thought I would share the 10 years of experience I've had with my Excalibur.

In 2000, I sold my company and retired at age 53 leaving me plenty of time to metal detect. I quickly wore out my old CZ-20, it no longer had any depth and Fisher wanted $540. to upgrade it, cheap in today's market, but not back then.

In 2002 I got the Excalibur 1000 to replace the CZ and it has flat had a workout in those 10 years. I live about 10 miles from the Gulf so I do get out to hunt often. The Excalibur has been all over the United States with us in our motor home that we travel in every summer. The Excalibur has hunted up and down the east coast, all around the Great Lakes, from one end to the other, along the West coast and numerous small lakes between the two coasts . That Excalibur has seen A LOT of sand and has been able to hunt all of it.

I have replaced the batteries inside of the pod a couple of times, made a couple of different straight shafts, went to a neck mount of the control housing, changed the headphone ear pads and the Excalibur kept going. The other day I couldn't hold a steady threshold, then after a closer examination I found that the coil wire insulation was peeling away in several places. I repaired it once in Myrtle Beach last year with silicone tape but the insulation is now shot.

After 10 years and 54,000 miles I decided to have this Excalibur rebuilt as it has been such a fantastic detector. I have a new coil I have been wanting to try, so Friday the Excalibur was sent off to Olde Beach Nut (OBN) for a coil change, Peltor headphone modification and all new "O" ring seals. I am so fortunate, thanks to these forums, to have learned of OBN and his talents of bringing the older Excalibur's back to life.

I just thought I would share what my Excalibur has been through and how well it has stood up for me. I have been able to hunt in any beach conditions, in any state without any problems. This post is NOT, I repeat NOT to start a detector war, I have 7 other brands of detectors so I am not a brand loyalist. I am just sharing what I hope others can expect out of an Excalibur.

My wife told me why don't you just go buy a new Excalibur. I answered back with "not while this one is still alive". I hope I have the success with this one for another 10 years.

Chuck in Cape Coral

Upvote 0

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Here's to another great 10 years:occasion14:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long live the Excal! (I swear, if mine ever dies on me on the beach I'm going to call 911. :laughing7: )

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats it guys ..... you are killing me. I just sent mine in for repairs. I know it will be a month since i couldnt send it to Kelleco or New England Detectors for repairs. Now im having to do HONEY DEW LISTS.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats it guys ..... you are killing me. I just sent mine in for repairs. I know it will be a month since i couldnt send it to Kelleco or New England Detectors for repairs. Now im having to do HONEY DEW LISTS.

Dew

It's horror stories like yours (Honey due list) that has me shopping around for a backup.....:laughing7:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great testament to a great machine. Hope my Excal II holds up as well and finds as much silver and gold as you have!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, I bought Sov Gt last year but im hunter on the beach since 24 years. Those some my finds silver. Thank you minelab.com:award_star_gold_1: DSC01664.JPG

OP
OP
Can Slaw

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
bigscoop, that's funny!!!
Thankfully I do have a backup water machine and I will be in the water as soon as the Holiday crowd leaves.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And me i have Excalibur II 1000. I like the beach when there much competition. I wish you luck ALL hunters.:safety-goggles:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like competition also hamid,maybe we will hunt together one day for fun.:occasion14:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like competition also hamid,maybe we will hunt together one day for fun.:occasion14:
Thank you and i wish you have great day and much gold. The much competition is very nice. DSC00601.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all detectors are created equal, some are more sensitive for what ever reason, as long as it can be repaired I would not let it go.

OBN does excellent work, another member who is a minelab doctor is my hunting partner davespens, those who went to the minelab function at kellyco saw him give a talk on maintenance on excals..

Last edited:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw,
My EXCAL II is a baby compared to yours. Only 5 months old. But as the weather warms my finds are getting better and more numerous. No gold or silver yet, but only used it 4 times this year. A bit of a shake down for the dog days of summer. Best find so far was a stainless steel cross.

Ed D.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excalibur is one of All metal detectors necessary for you need when you want arrival hight detecting on the beach.
OBN is a minelab doctor and is my Hero GH.png . Much respect.
I wish you happy hunting.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Excal is a 1993 model with the Seasearch coil. It never went to the shop since I put it on a long shaft over 12 yrs. ago. It is my favorite and the one I constantly use unless I go to Miami area which is full of bottle caps.

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Anyone know much about the new CTX 3030 compared to the Excal? Is the reading depth that big of a deal? Some are saying with it not to being a TRUE water detector, like the great Excal, and with the 10' depth, seals, and what not, some are thinking problems could, and will arise later on with it on. Time will tell. But for sure, a 10 feet depth rating sure isn't much pressure. After the warranty period?! Boy oh boy! Anyone think it will be OK for deep wading for 10 years? A great land/water detector, but the depth issue? A person can buy 2 Excal's. Which would be the best opinion? Thoughts?

jtlee321

Mar 23, 2012
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Anyone know much about the new CTX 3030 compared to the Excal? Is the reading depth that big of a deal? Some are saying with it not to being a TRUE water detector, like the great Excal, and with the 10' depth, seals, and what not, some are thinking problems could, and will arise later on with it on. Time will tell. But for sure, a 10 feet depth rating sure isn't much pressure. After the warranty period?! Boy oh boy! Anyone think it will be OK for deep wading for 10 years? A great land/water detector, but the depth issue? A person can buy 2 Excal's. Which would be the best opinion? Thoughts?

For the price of the CTX 3030, I'd spend a little more money and pick up a brand new Excalibur II and E-Trac.. Then you can have the best of both worlds...

Bareftnfl

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2004
West Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Whites XLT, MXT, Surf Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew I'm curious why you could not send it to Kellyco. Are there problems we need to know about with Kellyco's repair of Minelab?
I love Kellyco and was thrilled to learn they would be able to repair my Excal II if it ever need repair.
bareftnfl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread