Hooka Equipment

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I've gotten as far perpendicular to the shore as I can get. In order for me to get more of the items in what I call the Gold Line I'm going to need a hooka system.

I've looked at a few and am leaning twords gas powered but before I buy I thought I should get some feedback from those who use hooka systems.

Does anyone use a hooka system? Any advice?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used Hookah systems a lot for diving. It has many advantages above scuba as for shallow dives you don't have to adhere to the dive tables. Mine was a Keene Eng. outfit, but the J-Sink hookah is very good. Always get the Honda engine and their hoses. I had an accumulator tank to store air before delivery to the regulator as it cooled the air. I always used a BC and carried either a pony tank or Spare Air system, plus 2 dive knives to free me from fishing line tangles.

http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/the-hows/honda-gas-powered.aspx

R260XL.gif You don't have to use both hoses, but a partner is more fun.

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? I can help you so explain what do you want exact?

OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used Hookah systems a lot for diving. It has many advantages above scuba as for shallow dives you don't have to adhere to the dive tables. Mine was a Keene Eng. outfit, but the J-Sink hookah is very good. Always get the Honda engine and their hoses. I had an accumulator tank to store air before delivery to the regulator as it cooled the air. I always used a BC and carried either a pony tank or Spare Air system, plus 2 dive knives to free me from fishing line tangles.

Hookah direct drive scuba diving equipment sales. Hose diving hookah

View attachment 640004 You don't have to use both hoses, but a partner is more fun.

Sandman thanks for the info. I didn't think of the knifes or pony tank but will get those too!

OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worldtalker, thse hookamax systems look good! Those electric systems look good too! I'll have to read some more to see how long the battery would last? I'd probably prefer gas powered.

I'm planning on getting a boat, a canoe wouldn't work for me in the ocean.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to think about if you are going to hookah from a boat is the air intake has to be above the gunnels or exhaust gases will get into the air inlet.

Also lots of other boaters will see your craft and think it is abandoned if no one else is aboard. Carry a lift bag in your BC in case you find an anchor or outboard motor. Boaters don't know what a dive flag is for, nor a hookah and I have had them pull on my hoses.

OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman, thanks for the advice!

bn81159

Jul 2, 2012
Boca Raton
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur 1000,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello All,

I've gotten as far perpendicular to the shore as I can get. In order for me to get more of the items in what I call the Gold Line I'm going to need a hooka system.

I've looked at a few and am leaning twords gas powered but before I buy I thought I should get some feedback from those who use hooka systems.

Does anyone use a hooka system? Any advice?

I personally have not used one yet but interested in one and i found a YouTube link about these guy's that made there own and they go in detail of what you need.

Barry

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
I have used a Keene with a Honda or Briggs in fresh water. The Honda's were quieter and used less gas. The reserve tank is good to have, it helps if you are moving rocks and breathing heavy or if your engine dies. You can run two hoses off it too. An inline air filter after the tank would be nice. I had a belt start wearing away one time and who knows how much black crud I breathed before I surfaced.

OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure that I will get the hookamax gas setup. I did get a bladefish sea jet scooter to do some scouting. It should be delivered this coming Friday.

I've been watching the currents & looking at nautical charts in addition to reading about sediment transport. You can follow/read the ocean floor. It will take you to holes that hold the goodies but its to hard to do with a snorkel. The nautical charts show some very large deep holes that surely hold anything heavy.

Thanks all for the info!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to get 2 1/2 hrs on battery with relaxed breathing - you bring another battery and you got another 2 1/2 hrs
gas I think is shorter time - gas is usually louder (and if you use near houses on pond or lake -you may tick people off if its early in the morning)- electric purrs - you have to worry about fumes with gas - unless you extend your intake tube-
you can refill gas for more time - but after being under 2 1/2 hrs - you usually dont have the strength to want to change the battery or refill your gas
cause you'll be spent

OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to get 2 1/2 hrs on battery with relaxed breathing - you bring another battery and you got another 2 1/2 hrs
gas I think is shorter time - gas is usually louder (and if you use near houses on pond or lake -you may tick people off if its early in the morning)- electric purrs - you have to worry about fumes with gas - unless you extend your intake tube-
you can refill gas for more time - but after being under 2 1/2 hrs - you usually dont have the strength to want to change the battery or refill your gas
cause you'll be spent

Hi Casper & thanks for the info!

I like the hookamax gas setup. They use beathable hose, filters and the 5hp Honda engine has an air throttle so it idles most of the time. I think 4 gallons of gas? It will run longer than I will be down there. I dont have any plans for lakes yet so the noise shouldn't be a problem especially at idle. There will also be at least two, sometimes 3 diving so the electric may not be the right choice?

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A boat is gonna get complicated really fast. You won't be able to launch off the beach. You will have to pilot the boat to your hunting grounds via available waterways, ie inlets that lead to the ocean. Your boat will be anchored relatively close to the beach. This puts it harms way from breakers etc. Even if you set up beyond the break, that close to shore requires constant vigilance.

I would suggest a large sit on top kayak, surf ski, or paddle board. They are sea worthy, unsinkable, and you can launch from the beach.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the large Keene electric -which i have -can support 2 divers for I think 1 1/2 hrs

OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A boat is gonna get complicated really fast. You won't be able to launch off the beach. You will have to pilot the boat to your hunting grounds via available waterways, ie inlets that lead to the ocean. Your boat will be anchored relatively close to the beach. This puts it harms way from breakers etc. Even if you set up beyond the break, that close to shore requires constant vigilance.

I would suggest a large sit on top kayak, surf ski, or paddle board. They are sea worthy, unsinkable, and you can launch from the beach.

Hi NF!

Are you in NJ? Will you be here in early October? If so you are welcome to dive with us!

I wont be close to the surf and will launch the hookamax raft from the beach. We are going to use sea jet scooters to get to the locations.

Mine will be delivered this Friday & I'll be out there scouting around ASAP!

If you are close to Wildwood PM me. You can come over & I'll show you where I'm going.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions