Yabbies stealin gold and drinkin real hard ... skunked me again.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yabbies stealin' gold and drinkin real hard ... skunked me again.

At first I thought I was being a sore loser whingy whiner when some obviously prime areas were not turning up the goods or only had them in hotspots. Spots just up the beach were producing. I thought maybe the competition may have cleaned up - but with a small bit of brain power and observation I started to connect the dots (MD competition in the water here is virtually nil) ....so after many such hunts I seriously think I may have a problem....
YABBIES (plural).
Saltwater yabbies dig deep windy burrows in the sand - they make great bait (bream love them - as do flathead, whiting etc), one of the pics below shows a fishermans yabby pump - they use it to suck em' out of the sand, wish they got them all. They are all over here - holes every 3 inches, just packing into the creeks like it was a goldrush or somethin'. They go to 3ft easy - hanging out doing whatever yabbies do.
Wherever they burrow the only targets I predominantly find are light - many many bottle tops - seems they don't mind a brew, but seriously even heavy trash is gone - is it possible the humble yabby may be stealing my gold or is this a crackpot idea? Would furious digging transport the "majority" of the gold further down? I guess soldier crabs or like could do the same?
Today I had a zero tide - worked my you know whats off, but alas the yabbies live in the spot I chose - so after persisting for hours I get a light 925 ear hoop + other light junk items- I moved to the shallow water above the low tide line and toiled for booty - which never came.

Attachments

• yabby.bmp
    147.8 KB · Views: 97
  • yabbypump.bmp
    147.8 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very interesting post, Smoogle..and great pics!

I have never heard of "yabbies".....and beachgoers are sitting on top of these burrowed creatures? ::)

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slowwalker

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like craw dads. They could be attracted to shiny things or the amount of burroughs could cause the targets to sink and settle deeper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread