May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's MINING time!!!

So that's the new buzzword Jason and I have. Some of the guys in our shop found out we metal detect, and on occasion this one guy would ask... "So did you and Jason do any..... 'mining' last night?"

I broke out laughing at the word he used to describe our hobby.... Mining... so that became our thing. "Hey Jason, you up for some 'mining' tonight?":laughing7:

So today we went mining at two different beaches. The first one is a local beach close to the base that I really don't hit very often. Not for a lack of prospects, but because it's not very big and it takes a perfect set of circumstances to WANT to hit it. Know what I mean?

Today was that perfect situation, and we hit this beach first. Low tide was at 2:35pm and we arrived early so we could be at the secondary beach right after low tide and hunt that one on the way up.

This beach is unique... during the low tide, residual water from the high tide makes this HUGE cut on the beach and opens up a lot of rocks. This, of course, is the paydirt and Jason pulled 2 nice gold rings in the measley 40 minutes we worked this small beach. Way to go Jason! I wish I had a picture to post, but maybe he'll bring them over so I can take a picture and add to this thread.

I managed some BS finds, so I won't bore you with the lack of finds that I got from here..... so MOVING ON...

We got to the next beach where I found that nice large comfort fit 14k band the other day.

Still... lots of lightweight aluminum trash and the finds were plentiful, but not the good finds of course. Trash trash trash...You know the drill

Yet, I still managed to pull a nice gold ring from this beach. Looking in the scoop, amongst the black coral bits and rocks, I see this tarnished looking 'blackish' ring sitting in the Sunspot. I KNEW it was 10k just from the looks of it.... 10k being less than half gold, the base metals in it makes the ring tarnish if it sits in the ocean a long time, and this is the second one I found in this condition.

Pulling the ring out, I wander over to Jason to show him that even with his 2 gold rings for the day, that ole Nater still has some game in him for the day.

So after fighting the rocks and coral, I didn't fare much better... just some junky American money and a few measly Japanese Yen. Jeesh.

Here's the booty for today's MINING adventure :laughing7:

$2.70 US
205 Yen
10K gold ring
Even found a complete rifle shell left over from WW2
1 crapper ring to boot

001-37.jpg

003-33.jpg

004-23.jpg

And of course I had to clean that ring up...

006-17.jpg

005-20.jpg

As always, thanks for stopping by and taking a look at what Okinawa has to offer. It's always nice to post here and read the comments. Happy hunting to you and I hope that gold finds it way into everyones scoop on their next hunt.... so get out there and get your plundering on!!!!!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet! Congrat on "Mining" the Golden Ticket!

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Jason brought over his rings for me to photogragh and post.... Yeah... I'm a little jealous, but my treasure box is filling up, so it's ok:laughing7::laughing7:

The mans band is 14K
The little ring is 18K

Total weight is a very respectable 6.00 grams

007-17.jpg

008-15.jpg

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Keep it up

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is always nice,and is also nice when both hunters get some gold. Happy hunting.:leprechaun-hat:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I read your post I got to thinking about a t-shirt with an official looking beach mining claim number on it. :laughing7: Sweet finds.

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Nate you guys are on a roll!!!

Now that I got on the board, and with school being out, I think we are going to have a great summer "Mining" Oki beaches.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread