saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,Fisher F-70,Bounty Hunter 505,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next month Im going to try my luck hunting at
Hampton Beach,here in New Hampshire.I have been hunting parks and schoolyards mostly for the last 5 years with my Fisher F-70 using the coil from a F-75.I use discriminate mode usually,all metal mode seems to chatty to me.I would really appreciate any suggested set up tips that will help me get used to beach hunting.

Steve

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I CAN ONLY WISH YOU LUCK
last time I was there (prob 5-6 yrs ago)- there were over 30 TH'ers hitting the dry sand and wet sand
and some real a-O's that were leaving holes all over - big ones too
I almost got in a couple fights cause guys were throwing their trash over their shoulder and leaving holes
because they were trying to out hunt everyone and cover the whole beach
so competition can be fierce there

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you luck next hunt.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Steve! With your machine you will have the best luck in dry sand. Use minimal discrimination (just iron) and get a GOOD dry sand scoop. If you try and move into the wet saltwater sand, you will have to dumb the machine way down (lower the sensitivity and gain), in order to get rid of excessive falsing, which means you will get 7" or less in depth. In wet saltwater sand you need a multi-frequency or pulse induction machine. Good Luck!

Next month Im going to try my luck hunting at
Hampton Beach,here in New Hampshire.I have been hunting parks and schoolyards mostly for the last 5 years with my Fisher F-70 using the coil from a F-75.I use discriminate mode usually,all metal mode seems to chatty to me.I would really appreciate any suggested set up tips that will help me get used to beach hunting.

Steve

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to hampton beach myself,like sallsberry better.You should go there today after the waves we just had.:leprechaun-hat:Look at the upper area near the dunes.Happy hunting.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck. I was in wet sand a few weeks ago with my Ace 350, which isn't meant for such conditions. I kept sensitivity at 3 in all metal mode and didn't get any false hits. Don't know what I missed, mind you, but I did dig up some gorgeous pull tabs.

OP
OP
saltyshark2002

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your tip I tried it at the beach for a couple of hours last year and found out exactly what you mean in the wet sand.i was hoping there was something I was doing wrong using it in wet sand and that someone would shed light on my dilema,as dry sand it worked a lot better.My machine reads nickels in at around 32 on the VDI scale.How low should I reset my discrimate mode to,in the mid 20's or even lower.
Hi Steve! With your machine you will have the best luck in dry sand. Use minimal discrimination (just iron) and get a GOOD dry sand scoop. If you try and move into the wet saltwater sand, you will have to dumb the machine way down (lower the sensitivity and gain), in order to get rid of excessive falsing, which means you will get 7" or less in depth. In wet saltwater sand you need a multi-frequency or pulse induction machine. Good Luck!

OP
OP
saltyshark2002

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im sure I will find my share of those next month(week of July 4th),I will have to fiddle with my sensitivity also I think
Good luck. I was in wet sand a few weeks ago with my Ace 350, which isn't meant for such conditions. I kept sensitivity at 3 in all metal mode and didn't get any false hits. Don't know what I missed, mind you, but I did dig up some gorgeous pull tabs.

OP
OP
saltyshark2002

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never had a chance to hunt there yet,If hampton doesnt do much for me I may have to take a drive down there in July
I've been to hampton beach myself,like sallsberry better.You should go there today after the waves we just had.:leprechaun-hat:Look at the upper area near the dunes.Happy hunting.

OP
OP
saltyshark2002

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips,I look forward to reading all those articles you sent in your link.Someone else had sugested salsbury Beach too,I may have to take a drive down or even up the coast to do some exploring.Last year I hunted at hampton for a couple of hours I did manage a silver rosie and a small silver ring(both found in the dry sand(south end of beach for the rosie,near ampetheater on the small ring) 9
I CAN ONLY WISH YOU LUCK
last time I was there (prob 5-6 yrs ago)- there were over 30 TH'ers hitting the dry sand and wet sand
and some real a-O's that were leaving holes all over - big ones too
I almost got in a couple fights cause guys were throwing their trash over their shoulder and leaving holes
because they were trying to out hunt everyone and cover the whole beach
so competition can be fierce there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread