beachbug

Greenie
May 9, 2012
Fort Myers Fl.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going to the beach alot and try to go at the lowest tides but sometimes cant make it when the tides are low. I love the sand shark but like most Pi machines it does not discriminate. I am very ok with digging trash (have gotten some nasty things out of the sand that could really hurt someone. So I feel good about that). So if you are in the surf do you tend to only dig the soft whisper sounds or the screaming sounds. I know everyone says dig them all but im curious does the gold sink so fast that most of the time it whispers or does it scream too. Bottle caps and pull tabs scream and whisper depending how deep they are. I guess I would like to know what percentage of gold whispers or screams. This info would be helpfull for when the water is so rough that I have to choose what to dig. I am a small women and it is hard for me to dig in rough water. Other times I do dig it all. I only have a sand shark for the beaches so I would only need to hear from people who use a PI machine. I hope Im not asking a stupid question but I am new to this and would like some input. Thanks for your time.:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I dig it all. But if you get that "jumping around the hole" signal when you go to dig, its generally a tell-tell sign of iron if you don't want to continue to chase it.

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive only had my Sand Shark for a short time, so I'm probably not the person you want to ask......but I've been hunting mostly in VCO mode and have found some gold and silver. I understand what people say about the double beep on the bobby pins, but I dig them anyways. I'm still playing with mine.....but everything of value I've found so far gave a similar sound as coin (sharp signal). Every dull signal turns out to be rusty iron, wire or other junk. Maybe somebody else with more experience can give you better input. Dig everything and you'll miss nothing...

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Shallow gold, a fresh drop, will scream. Deep gold will whisper. A double beep is normally a bobby pin. The bad part about a PI, you can't very well tell unless you dig it. I used my PI this morning...feel it this afternoon.

OP
OP
B

beachbug

Greenie
May 9, 2012
Fort Myers Fl.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I guess I will have to just dig it if its choppy water and do the best I can. Or stick to the shallows.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Sand Shark on the way so I will be keeping up with this thread. Good luck
DANGLANGLEY

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi from White Plains, New York! The most important thing is time on the headphones. Make sure you have set the tone (frequency) that your ears hear the best (page 12 in the manual), so that you can hear the slight positive breaks in the threshold (whispers) and negative breaks (silent threshold that repeats over a target) immediately. This takes practice. It is a learned skill.

Don't overpower the threshold or pulse width. Most of the time your pulse width should be set around the 230pm position. In sanded in conditions you can bump it up some. The threshold should be a steady, low volume buzz like a mosquito in your ears. Set the volume so that you can barely hear the threshold over the surf. Too much threshold, and you will miss negative breaks and some whispers.

Use NORMAL Mode, and learn to trust your machine. Once you have 100-hours in Normal Mode, THEN switch to VCO for the NEXT 100-hours. After that, you will have gold, know how to speak Sand Shark, and know what works best for you.

Good Luck!

I have been going to the beach alot and try to go at the lowest tides but sometimes cant make it when the tides are low. I love the sand shark but like most Pi machines it does not discriminate. I am very ok with digging trash (have gotten some nasty things out of the sand that could really hurt someone. So I feel good about that). So if you are in the surf do you tend to only dig the soft whisper sounds or the screaming sounds. I know everyone says dig them all but im curious does the gold sink so fast that most of the time it whispers or does it scream too. Bottle caps and pull tabs scream and whisper depending how deep they are. I guess I would like to know what percentage of gold whispers or screams. This info would be helpfull for when the water is so rough that I have to choose what to dig. I am a small women and it is hard for me to dig in rough water. Other times I do dig it all. I only have a sand shark for the beaches so I would only need to hear from people who use a PI machine. I hope Im not asking a stupid question but I am new to this and would like some input. Thanks for your time.:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread