Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You guys have any suggestions for what kind of belt or something in waist deep water at beach? How do you guys keep from loosing detector when u use your scoop when u hit a target? Do ya clip the detector on? Was thinking bout getting fishing belt with pvc tubing to put sand scoop in and create some kind clip for detector. Not sure. I want to keep it simple.

Upvote 0

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep detector in right hand, which is swinging arm, scoop with the right. Seems to work ok for me.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Dew.. I do the same thing as DewGuru, Except that I swing the detector with my right, and scoop with my Left. It is pretty easy overall.

Except in rough seas, then you need an anchor tied to your belt. I have found it easier to avoid that all together lol.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some folks tether their scoop to their finds pouch belt with a dog leash. I never have. Once you work out your technique (35-hours or so), these questions will all answer themselves. Good Luck!

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Excal in left hand, and ScoopZilla in right. By the end of the hunt I leave the surf walking crooked due to ScoopZilla!!! :skullflag:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with excals that have 15 inch coils custom mounted. I use a harness that hooks to shaft, it allows me to hunt all day with the large coils with no problem, a bonus of this setup is l can let go of the excal if I wish and it hangs right by my side and yet out of the way. If I need to use both hands I can....

Last edited:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 1/4" rope tied to my detector and to my right wrist, about 2' of rope works best.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Dew.. I do the same thing as DewGuru, Except that I swing the detector with my right, and scoop with my Left. It is pretty easy overall.

Except in rough seas, then you need an anchor tied to your belt. I have found it easier to avoid that all together lol.

Ditto!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the detector. I use an Xcal which you can hip mount..... the cable at that point is the tether. Mine isnt hip mounted i wear a dive belt it has clips on both side. I have the detector and the scoop tethered to those clips.

Dew

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Ahhh! A dive belt. That is a good idea. A friend of mine is hooking me up with scuba gear. I'm getting the scuba boots this wk. I'll check with him about the belt.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dive belt gives you some pouches you can use for recovery with a zipper. I cut the inside to make the recovery area bigger. If it comes down to you or the equipment out there you have a quick release with a dive belt. The zipper boots are nice....easy to get off, but you do have issues with sand getting in the zippers. The short ones are a pain to get on and no matter how you try they will fill with sand and shells at the surf. Id say i let go of the scoop (that has a wooden handle) much more than the detector.

Dew

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Yea. He gave me zipper boots. Didnt have dive belt so Still need to find a decent dive belt w zipper pouches and get couple of d-rings.

Last edited:

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hip mount my tiger shark and added a flotation squeegee to the arm rest so it will float and a cord tied to it.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Kellyco mesh pouch - have for 12 yrs now
I use a scrap piece of velcro and attatch to inside velcro
so the large section stays open - opening and closing velcro for every find can be pain
I use the small inside velcro pouch or outside zipper area for my silver & gold

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
I use a zippered pouch that I manufacture and sell on eBay and through DeMarco Detector Sales. It has zippers to keep your finds from escaping. I usually keep the top zipper open a couple of inches and put all trash and coins in that main compartment. The lower compartment is reserved for special finds like gold and silver items.

On the arm cuff I have a short cord with a brass ring and a brass snap. It's all put together with nylon zip ties. This loops through the belt that the pouch is attached to. I can pull my arm out to dig and the detector is right there at waist level to use again when done scooping. There is no need for a longer cord. The detector pivots right at the arm cup. I can't imagine detecting without this.

In the pictures you can also see that I cover vulnerable sections of the cables with spiral cable wrap. This is available at Home Depot or Radio Shack.

tether1.jpg

tether2.jpg

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a zippered pouch that I manufacture and sell on eBay and through DeMarco Detector Sales. It has zippers to keep your finds from escaping. I usually keep the top zipper open a couple of inches and put all trash and coins in that main compartment. The lower compartment is reserved for special finds like gold and silver items.

On the arm cuff I have a short cord with a brass ring and a brass snap. It's all put together with nylon zip ties. This loops through the belt that the pouch is attached to. I can pull my arm out to dig and the detector is right there at waist level to use again when done scooping. There is no need for a longer cord. The detector pivots right at the arm cup. I can't imagine detecting without this.

In the pictures you can also see that I cover vulnerable sections of the cables with spiral cable wrap. This is available at Home Depot or Radio Shack.

View attachment 645932

View attachment 645933
This is the pouch that Ken and I use and recomend it highly

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that cable wrap.... cool. I knew you made a pouch John i think Dig had mentioned it during one of our hunts. Is the cable wrap stiff and does it give any additional insulation from out side interference? I ask about that because i was curious..... some guys used an insulator around their battery or control pod. Nice set up.

Dew

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
I like that cable wrap.... cool. I knew you made a pouch John i think Dig had mentioned it during one of our hunts. Is the cable wrap stiff and does it give any additional insulation from out side interference? I ask about that because i was curious..... some guys used an insulator around their battery or control pod. Nice set up.

Dew

The cable wrap does add some stiffness to the cable. I don't use it on the entire cable. I also have it on my CZ-21 which I hip mount. I put it on the part of the cable where it comes off of the shaft to keep it from flexing too much. Some of this spiral wrap is stiffer than others. So you may want to shop around.

It doesn't offer any kind of RF shielding. For that, it would have to have foil in it.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:I just use Excalibur II 1000 and hunt very slowly with Sen Max= very deep. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread