Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Minelab CTX 3030? A "TRUE" Waterproof Detector?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2009
    4 times

Minelab CTX 3030? A "TRUE" Waterproof Detector?

Any thoughts on the NEW kid on the block -CTX 3030? Is the reading depth that big of a deal compared to the Ecal II? I want to water hunt, mainly. I want a unit that will last, and last. As anyone does. A good water/land combo unit would be ideal. With the 10' depth of the CTX 3030 Minelab, is it really a TRUE waterproof "WATER" detector? Or a great, water resistant, swallow water/land unit? I dive, and that's not much pressure. The use would be, of course, swallow water wading use only. You wouldn't DARE go further. But...later, after the warranty expires, and the unit is older, is this still going to be a good option for the money? Will it TAKE the pressure later? Is this scaring to some others, or just me? A person could HAVE two Excal's!

us
    Mar 2012
    Vancouver, WA
    Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
    50 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by detectit View Post
    Any thoughts on the NEW kid on the block -CTX 3030? Is the reading depth that big of a deal compared to the Ecal II? I want to water hunt, mainly. I want a unit that will last, and last. As anyone does. A good water/land combo unit would be ideal. With the 10' depth of the CTX 3030 Minelab, is it really a TRUE waterproof "WATER" detector? Or a great, water resistant, swallow water/land unit? I dive, and that's not much pressure. The use would be, of course, swallow water wading use only. You wouldn't DARE go further. But...later, after the warranty expires, and the unit is older, is this still going to be a good option for the money? Will it TAKE the pressure later? Is this scaring to some others, or just me? A person could HAVE two Excal's!
    Or as I had just mentioned in another post. You could buy a brand new Excal and an E-Trac. Then you would have the best above and below water..
    hamiddetecting and lookindown like this.

Feb 2012
    North Pole
    Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
    1858 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Can you talk Gary drayton. Do you send him message. i wish you luck.
    One third jewelry of the World are under sand so far
    Finds2014
    Coins usables=800
    Silver= 8 pieces
    Gold= 2 Rings

us
    Dec 2009
    New Jersey
    CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
    214 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Each metal detector is its own special tool. Each one has its own place in the quest for________ I don't exspect the detector to last forever.If you use the detector and not let it sit in the closet it will pay for itself in a short time! I can't seem to find any other hobby that pays for itself, or for the that matter this hobby pays for all my other hobbies as well. With a little disaplint your hobby acount will grow to a point that if a new detector comes out and you want it, you just right a check. If 5 come out and and you want them right 5 checks! If you choose to go spend each days take then your account will be zero. I will tell you not to hold the change found as its pain to count it even at the TD bank coin counter. Each bag only hold 50 bucks! took several hrs to do a five gallon bucket. I cash in weekly and deposit it in the hobby checking. IMHO

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3169 times
    Metal Detecting
    If you can't afford to spend $2,500.00 on a toy, then you can't afford the machine - period. Minelab does not cater to bargain hunters. It sells machines to hobbyists who can spend $2,500.00 like it was $250.00. For the vast majority of us a $400.00 VLF, and a $600.00 PI machine is THE way to go. We put the other $1,500.00 in the bank, giggling all the way there. You won't find ANYTHING with your 3030, that I won't find with my Sand Shark..
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8638 times
    You want waste a lot of time digging iron with a minelab either. You don't need the 3030 to hunt the beach, an excal will work just great.
    DiggingNC and Sandman like this.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    chuck

Feb 2007
    spacecoast florida
    fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300
    264 times
    beach detecting, treasure hunting, shipwrecks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    You want waste a lot of time digging iron with a minelab either. You don't need the 3030 to hunt the beach, an excal will work just great.
    uh-oh.......here we go!
    you dont know what you dont know, and you dont know what you dont dig!!!!!!!!

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker41 View Post
    uh-oh.......here we go!
    Not really, I'm not putting down the Sand Shark at all, I have even seriously considered buying one myself, but that doesn't change the fact you will dig a lot of iron with PI you want dig with Minelab unless you choose to

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

Charter Member
    us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2655 times
    I'd say 80 - 90% of the finds at the beach come down to one thing, and one thing only....."Whoever gets their coil over it first!" Most beach finds are not that deep to begin with. The other 10 - 20% is more user related then the actual machine itself. If your machine is designed to handle the environment you're hunting in then you're already capable of finding 80 - 90% of those targets that are in range of most machines. Just my personal opinion but I feel it's pretty accurate. The Excal is a time tested and proven machine that is very sensitive to gold. Before I plucked out that kind of money on a CTX-3030 I'd let a year or two pass so it will have some time/user tested history behind it. Don't let all the hype talk you into anything. From what I can tell so far I don't see the "working end" of the CTX-3030 having any advantage over of the Excal once you learn the tones of the Excal. Only time will tell the true story on the new 3030.
    "The key to finding gold is finding places where it can be accessed."

us
    Nov 2009
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Minelab Excalibur II 800 & 1000
    6 times
    I am an Excal user and am considering a CTX 3030. While I am waiting for more user reports before making a final decision, some features that I think may make it worthy of consideration are the following:

1) 3 year warranty on the CTX vs. 1 year warranty on the Excal. Getting 3 times the warranty on a water machine is fairly significant to me.
    2) easy to change coil configuration allowing one to quickly adapt to hunting conditions.
    3) plenty of audio options i.e. built in speaker, wired headset, speaker in wireless unit (WM10), or headset plugged into wireless unit (WM10).
    4) can be your primary land and water machine (sure the Excal can be used on land and I have done so, but it is a bit cumbersome).

I think a lot of people are getting caught up on how expensive this unit is. Granted something this expensive will not appeal to everyone, nor was it meant to. But there are plenty of hobbies where you can burn thousands of dollars that typically don't allow you to recover related costs like in treasure hunting. Particularly for water hunters one can potentially recoup the cost of an expensive machine over time (and sometimes surprisingly fast).
    Last edited by Tony in FL; Jun 11, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
    The Bulgarian likes this.

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Xcal, Minelab SE, DFX, MXT
    520 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Tony has valid points. I do like the ability to change coils and heard there may be aftermarket headphones. There will be a lot more information available from the tones.... but there will also be a lot more learning curve. Using this kind of tech out there i believe will only complicate what is a simply hear a tone and dig. To many people will over think it.... thats going to work to the advantage of the Xcals and PI diggers. We arent looking for a reason NOT to dig as much out there. We are looking for DEPTH and a way to distinguish iron. We arent looking for coins.... at least the smart ones arent. Id say the 3030 will have an advantage based on Tony's post to perhaps work as a replacement for several other machines we now use. Using what they learn..... with headphones and coil changes id prefer to wait and see if they do this with an Xcal.

Dew
    The Bulgarian likes this.

us
    Feb 2011
    Connecticut
    Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
    16 times
    Tony... certain metal detector dealers offer an extended warranty on the Excalibur and GT and honestly I haven't seen any posts from anyone that make me say wow... any quality water machine will find just as much as this new detector will... I'm not a bells and whistles type of hunter.. the last thing I want on a detector I use in the water is a TID... some will want it, they can have it I'll still find plenty of gold with my two machines thats for sure

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    2151 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I would take an excal and an E Trac instead of just the 3030. The 3030 costs as much as both of those put together...easy choice.
    Sandman likes this.

us
    Apr 2012
    Sneads Ferry NC
    Torreseo Sand Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Pro Pointer
    20 times
    I think the best advantage would be only having to learn one detector. Even bouncing back and forth between my sand shark and my whites beach hunter ID throws me for a loop. Plus i would like to start doing more land detecting, adding more confusion. Plus after being blown up a few times my tone recognition is not all that great, so I am thinking the 3030's screen will give me a big advantage over an excall. So that is why I am saving all my clad/pocket change/ and my "stripper fund" (not actually a stripper fund, i take all the 1s out of my wallet every night and throw it in my dresser, after a few weeks it looks like a tip drawer), once i have more then half saved up I will make the jump and purchase it. Plus I am interested to see what other coils minelab, and coiltek will be producing for it.

I think the 3030 will be great for anyone who doesn't just detect in the same conditions all the time. We have already seen people pull up gold, and great artifacts. Minelab is not known to make junky detectors, I still have marines that swear by the F3 (no longer used by the Marine Corps). In my mind, it is doing what the AT-Pro was supposed to be, an All Terrain detector.

us
    Jan 2009
    4 times
    Thanks for all the info. That's about what I thought THer. A lot of money for water resistant unit. Not waterproof. But for sure a person shouldn't just out and buy metal detectors coming and going. Spend money because you can? That's silly huh? THAT thinking will definately help the metal detector companies make tons of gold & silver (FRN's). That may be what SOME want to do, but not I. I can buy whatever I want. Many, if I desire to. But only one GREAT UNIT at a time can be used anyway. I have a friend that seems to COLLECT them like candy. That's just not for me. Or, MANY others.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors