Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for suggestions for a new Stealth scoop

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2007
    Dayton, Ohio.
    Tesoro Tiger Shark with stock 8" and CSC

Looking for suggestions for a new Stealth scoop {EDIT} Updated

Had to give my borrowed scoop back, but am now pulling the trigger for my own. I'm getting a stealth, and was wondering what y'all thought... 6.5 or 8?

I hunt in freshwater here in Ohio lakes. Not having used a stealth, was hoping for either objective cons or an alternate suggestion if stealth isn't a good choice.

Thanks if advance.

EDIT
    I have decided to put my findings in the original post. This provides features, pros and cons of what I found. Want to know my choice? Read my last post. If not, at least you don't have to read the entire thread to see what I used to compare and help me make my decision.

Here's what I have...

Regarding the Diamond Head Scoop:

• coated - Yes.
    • handled - Included
    • handle - 1/8" wall fiberglass handle (1.25" OD)
    • handle - two inserts to "strengthen the handle" per vendor.
    • handle - bouyant - yes
    • basket - stainless steel, narrow and pointed
    • holes - small to moderate quantity.
    • Toe/Foot pad - No
    • warranty - 5 years
    • weight 5.5 lbs
    • Total cost, with shipping, unknown. When they email me the amount, I'll edit and update this post.

Cons regarding DH Scoop

• holes con - Slow sift and drain.
    • handle con - Inserts weaken handle. From the use of variosu lawn and garden equipment, posts or rods through the handle all too often actually weaken the handle.
    • coating pro - Electropolished to prevent rust
    • handle con - smaller OD means a tighter grip needed to handle it.
    • basket con - deeper initial penetration to get good bite or under your target and basket into the gravel. This also means a further distance of the handle away from the digger to pull back. Think Steam shovel, and then pulling back on the handle.

Regarding the Classic Stealth Scoop:

• handle - 1.5" OD (Not included - Minimum extra $20)
    • handle - coated and tapered and no holes. Maybe two reported broken and replaced by vendor in 10 years.
    • handle - bouyant - yes
    • basket - stainless steel, pointed, and not narrow.
    • holes - large amount and various sizes.
    • Toe/Foot pad - YES
    • Warranty - 3 years
    • Weight - 5 to 5.5 lbs.
    • Total cost with shipping and handle, $207. This could be more depending on where you life, APO.FPO, etc.

Cons regarding the Stealth scoop

• Basket pro - Many more holes for sifting and draining
    • Basket pro - Open desing. Can see inside from the top.
    • Basket con - may be considered too big for some, and to tough to work in the surf
    • Handle con - cost an extra $20. Not a problem, just annoying and brings the cost up higher.
    • Basket pro - though pointed, the basket it wider. This prevents too much leveraging forward to get a bite under your target when in the water.
    • Toe/Foot Pad Pro - This is a huge Pro, and is self explanatory.

Now some of my pros and cons are not what others would consider, but they are what I would consider. In the end, both companies seem to be great scoop makers, and their telephone and email customer service are top notch. I honestly don't think that you'd go wrong with either choice depending on your needs, but for me...
    Last edited by ohiotech; Jun 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM.

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    142 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Stealth is good I would get the smaller one cause the 8 is just too big. Now on the other option I have and love the diamond head sand scoop. It is just great because it penetrates the ground as if you had a knife. Check it out...and is cheaper then the stealth.

us
    Jan 2007
    Dayton, Ohio.
    Forgot about the diamond head scoop. Checking them out now.

us
    Apr 2012
    Sneads Ferry NC
    Torreseo Sand Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Pro Pointer
    20 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I use the 8"... i love it, pulling targets requires sooo much less time, the 8s advantage is that it is 12 long, and my left arm is now catching up to my right in strength, lol

ua
    Nov 2008
    Odessa
    Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS
    7 times
    ohiotech
    Look scoops on my web site stavrscoop.com

can choose for themselves what is appropriate....
    Excalibur 10" coil .since 2001.
    Explorer XS .since 2001.coil 10'',detech 10x14'',detech 4,5x7'',coiltek 15'',coiltek 12x8 platypus
    Stavr's water sand scoop Evroexcavator-2 v.22
    stavrscoop.com

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9431 times
    8 inch, my scoop is 8.5 and I would buy a 10 " if I could.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Jan 2007
    Dayton, Ohio.
    Right now I'm waiting on warranty information for the diamond head scoop. The stealth has a three year fix or replace warranty and I like that.

When using the borrowed scoop that I had, it was about five or 6 inches. And though I like the amount of material it pulled up from the bottom of the lake, I didn't like that I had to keep scooping small scoops of stuff to get to more stuff. This is why I am thinking that an 8 inch scoop would do a better trick at grabbing more material on the bottom since you can't actually see or reach down as well in this muddy and murky Ohio lake water.

ua
    Nov 2008
    Odessa
    Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS
    7 times
    Treasure_Hunter
    everything is very difficult with increasing size scoop...
    Excalibur 10" coil .since 2001.
    Explorer XS .since 2001.coil 10'',detech 10x14'',detech 4,5x7'',coiltek 15'',coiltek 12x8 platypus
    Stavr's water sand scoop Evroexcavator-2 v.22
    stavrscoop.com

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9431 times
    I know, but I have no problem at all with my Beach Brute II, and it is 8.5 inch wide, another 1.5 inches want be that much harder for me to handle........

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Jan 2007
    Dayton, Ohio.
    I think that I've made a decision. Sometime this weekend I will post a comparison of features/benefits that each company has provided me over the other.

The input provided here, as well as the input provided from the manufacturers, has given me the necessary information with which to make the proper decision.

I will hopefully be able to provide my comparison information within the next day or two on the same thread.

Charter Member
    us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2712 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I have the large Stealth and don't care for it, just too much room for washouts. Only the last 5 inches of this 12 inch long scoop are contained. It's nice in the wet sand and shallows but it becomes a liability when doing deeper work or even shallow work in strong currents.
    "The key to finding gold is finding places where it can be accessed."

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    142 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiotech View Post
    I think that I've made a decision. Sometime this weekend I will post a comparison of features/benefits that each company has provided me over the other.

The input provided here, as well as the input provided from the manufacturers, has given me the necessary information with which to make the proper decision.

I will hopefully be able to provide my comparison information within the next day or two on the same thread.
    Tell us at least your decision... I am curious.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2111 times
    I have used most of the scoops available and have settled on the Stealth because it matches all the bottom materials I have had to hunt, fresh and saltwater. When you hunt the surf you need a large basket to grab bottom material from deep down there in one scoop or two. Using a smaller basket might not get to the item and another wave will wash more sand in the shallow hole and make your work harder. The more time you spend digging means less time you have for more hunting. Digging wears you out more than swinging the coil. The Stealth has changed over the years to meet hunters expectations and keep the price as low as possible, but we have to still have quality. If I wanted to improve the Stealth, I'd make the basket out of Titanium and the handle looped Titanium like the old Miller Scoop, but with the same open basket. If you are washing items out of your scoop, you are doing something wrong.

It would naturally cost more, but the best hunters would buy them if they wanted the best to match their $$$ MD. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stealth Classic Scoo;p.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	645784http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html
    Last edited by Sandman; Jun 15, 2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: add Link
    hamiddetecting likes this.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Bobby Gardner

Apr 2012
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    BeaachHunter ID 300, Eagle Spectrum, Vx3
    I live at the beach & have the smaller stealth. Love it!

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    580 times
    Sandman, how thick is the metal?
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors