Excalibur II Coil Size? 8" 10"??

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the larger coil and can still pick up earring backs but it might be my sens settings and zero disc. Different beaches call for different size coils. There is no one size that is best.:icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it this way, I found a .06 of a gram gold ring over 8 inches deep using an excal that had a 15 inch coil hardwired on it...... You want as much coverage as possible at the beach, why detect it with a coffee saucer....

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a trashy area an 8 inch coil does much better in finding good targets however remember you are covering a much smaller area on the swings. I use the old Excal with the seasearch coil mostly and have good results but I try to overlap my sweeps.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Les is a guru with that 8" coil....ive seen him work. In the water both have an advantages..... it depends on how you hunt and where you hunt. If you are meticulous and overlap properly you can do well with any of the coils. Some people dont waste time on the little stuff..... they use a WOT for coverage and do as much beach and water area as possible leaving the small targets to others.

Dew

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew is right of course. Time wasted trying to scoop all those tiny signals for the small stuff wastes time which could better be spent swinging for that large man's gold ring. But it is all in how much fun you want to have. When I get bored I pay more attention to the small targets too but try not to waste to much time on them. One of the reasons I gave up on the PI is wasting time on deep holes for trash plus wearing myself out early.:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread