Couple weeks on the Shark

Scottyboy

May 15, 2012
Northwest Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I, Whites Prizm III, Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher 1280-x, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started detecting back in April, hit the beach, found very little.. mostly just some clad.
I was really itching to get out in the water, and was kicking around the idea of which water detector to purchase.

Well, about 3 weeks ago, I found a used sand shark (thanks tazz1) and picked it up for a good price.

It arrived 2 weeks ago and here are the results of my hunting since :

P6140153.JPG P6140152.JPG

8 total rings

left to right

1. copper thumb ring (my first ring ever)
2. 10k gold butterfly ring (my first gold)
3. Sterling Silver Disney princess crown ring (my first silver)
4. 10k 2012 class ring
5. 14k plated ring (pretty old ring, as the maker has been out of business since the 70's)
6. SSteel thumb ring with crosses around it
7. SSteel thumb ring with flames around it
8. a small copper ring with some stones it it.
Below is a small cross pendant, no stamp, doesnt feel like junk, not sure of its metal (I have a test kit coming)(UPDATE: The cross is 10k white gold ... making it technically my first gold find )

The other photo is the clad and interesting junk I've found.

Also, the class ring had the owners name inside, I was able to call the school, and give them my information.. the school contacted the student. We talked and he will be coming down on Saturday to pick it up (he lives about an hour away).

That's pretty much the extent of my finds at this point in my MD career. Needless to say, I'm pretty well hooked on water hunting now.

Thanks for looking.
GL and HH

Last edited:
Upvote 0

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
TESORO Cutlass II µMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips ScottyBoy, I'v been hitting up the dry sand on west coast FL to and can't wait to get the money together for a Sand Shark. This was a great testimonial for me. (i'll probably use an over sized zip tie for the latches)

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Scotty you are on a roll .Congratulations on some really nice finds.. I don't think you be hunting sand any more. :thumbsup:

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
sic detecting sharkeeeeeee! lovin that haul.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a comment on the coil flipping up.. I only had that problem the first couple of weeks. After that I had my technique down and the newness around the coil bolt went away and it tightened up a bit. Coil flip up is only a problem for ankle- and knee- deep hunters. Once you learn how to deal with incoming and outgoing surf you won't have flip ups anymore, or they will become less frequent.

I HAVE learned not to wear shorts with pockets that the lock down latches can hook onto while swinging or scooping, and have started using a velcro strap around the latches..

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Congrats on some nice finds and welcome to the addiction. You are definetly hooked for life.

OP
OP
S

Scottyboy

May 15, 2012
Northwest Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I, Whites Prizm III, Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher 1280-x, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't been having near the luck recently, the Tropical storm that came through here in late June opened a deep trench near shore, only to push about 2 feet of fresh sand into said trench before the waves subsided. So needless to say its been very tough out there.

The wet sand areas are also very sanded in, you sink a good 6-8 inches into the sand as you walk along the water's edge.
For the past month, I've been lucky to find a few pieces of clad or a bobby pin.

I'm praying for a decent sized storm to come though and erode some of this sand away.. otherwise it's gonna be a long summer =-(

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
I remember thinking after my first couple of hunts in the water...
"why did I wait so long so do this"
Nice finds and good luck in the future.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great info! Thanks for sharing and returning class ring! Your future looks brite with the Sandshark!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info! Nice return and some super finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread