Couple weeks on the Shark

Scottyboy

May 15, 2012
Northwest Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I, Whites Prizm III, Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher 1280-x, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started detecting back in April, hit the beach, found very little.. mostly just some clad.
I was really itching to get out in the water, and was kicking around the idea of which water detector to purchase.

Well, about 3 weeks ago, I found a used sand shark (thanks tazz1) and picked it up for a good price.

It arrived 2 weeks ago and here are the results of my hunting since :

P6140153.JPG P6140152.JPG

8 total rings

left to right

1. copper thumb ring (my first ring ever)
2. 10k gold butterfly ring (my first gold)
3. Sterling Silver Disney princess crown ring (my first silver)
4. 10k 2012 class ring
5. 14k plated ring (pretty old ring, as the maker has been out of business since the 70's)
6. SSteel thumb ring with crosses around it
7. SSteel thumb ring with flames around it
8. a small copper ring with some stones it it.
Below is a small cross pendant, no stamp, doesnt feel like junk, not sure of its metal (I have a test kit coming)(UPDATE: The cross is 10k white gold ... making it technically my first gold find )

The other photo is the clad and interesting junk I've found.

Also, the class ring had the owners name inside, I was able to call the school, and give them my information.. the school contacted the student. We talked and he will be coming down on Saturday to pick it up (he lives about an hour away).

That's pretty much the extent of my finds at this point in my MD career. Needless to say, I'm pretty well hooked on water hunting now.

Thanks for looking.
GL and HH

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations!!!! That Shark is Hungry! :headbang:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The Shark is Working overtime! Nice Treasure!!

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to see your doing well with your shark ! Waiting for mine to show up on Friday ! Can't wait to get pit and try it , hopes luck is as good as yours ! HH

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your doing Super - keep it up :thumb_up:

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
results like that and you may not touch the turf again, thats a few first off your list :sunny:

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to me a lot of guys find a lot of rings with the sandshark! Nice Finds

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, congratulation!!:headbang::hello2::thumbsup:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an awesome couple of weeks work.Happy hunting.:leprechaun-hat:

HUNTER12

May 24, 2011
That's a lot of great finds. Iv'e had my sand shark for two weeks now, havn't been able to get to the beach yet . (Question) what size coil do you have, and did it flop around alot in the surf.if so do you use a coil brace. This may be for Terry to answer. Still very great finds.

OP
OP
S

Scottyboy

May 15, 2012
Northwest Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I, Whites Prizm III, Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher 1280-x, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a lot of great finds. Iv'e had my sand shark for two weeks now, havn't been able to get to the beach yet . (Question) what size coil do you have, and did it flop around alot in the surf.if so do you use a coil brace. This may be for Terry to answer. Still very great finds.

I've got the 10.5 inch coil.

Yes, it does flop around in the surf quite a bit, but I took a piece of lexan and bent it to make a support.
At first I ordered the coil support they make at Kellyco, it arrived, I had a good laugh, and then I made one myself. The one from kellyco may fit all Tesoro machines, but it was NOT designed with water use in mind.It's a big flat plate that is perpendicular to the side to side you will be doing with your coil. In effect, it is a sea-anchor.

Here's what I made (Thanks goes to lookindown for the design) : P6160154.JPG P6160155.JPG

It may be ugly, but it WILL hold your coil still in some pretty heavy surf, and it doesn't drag when you swing the coil

The other picture is of the control housing with a strap around the latches.. I highly suggest you do something similar. I had a scare when my clothes caught one of the latches and poped the housing open in the surf. No water got in, but could have been a disaster if I would have been deeper... upon doing a bit of research, this problem is NOT uncommon.

I hope this info helps.

GL and HH

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on excellent detecting...nice going on purchasing the "Shark"

Lorraine

HUNTER12

May 24, 2011
scottyboy, That looks great. Where did you get the lexon from. Great idea on the box too. Thank's

OP
OP
S

Scottyboy

May 15, 2012
Northwest Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The piece of lexan came from a friend of mine, he had some scraps left over from a display-case project he did. Don't really need that much, I think the piece I cut was 2"x11".Could have come out cleaner had I used a heat gun to heat it rather than a pocket torch... but couldn't find the heat gun. At any rate, it does the job, doesn't need to be pretty.

Just heat it a little at a time on each side until it starts to bubble on the inside a bit, and then bend it to the shape you want. once you have the curve where you want it, dunk it in water, or pour water on it, it'll lock in that shape. I started on the underside of the coil and worked my way back up to the lower-shaft, that way the last bend I had to make, was the one that sets the angle. I had to re-heat that a couple times until the coil was the exact angle I wanted.

If you can't find a scrap of lexan laying around, you can try searching for commercial plastics and your city's name is google and you'll find a place nearby that sells it. Home depot sells a 12"x24" sheet for like 13 bucks (enough to make this stabilizer a dozen times over), but it's only available if you order it, I don't believe lowe's stocks it in their sores either, again, usually gotta go to a commercial plastics place to find it in-stock. Very durable stuff given it's only .093" thick. So thin there is virtually no noticeable drag when swinging, but plenty strong enough to keep that coil locked in place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions