XCAL 1000 down but not out! Yet???

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Well I went detecting Monday at St. Pete beach into the surf, ahhh the water is great, hummmm ??? my headset noises seemed quieter and distant. Took off my headset and looked at it and the wire insulation going into the headset was cracked and broken. Then I noticed the insulation wire going into the control unit was also cracked and broken. Oh no, still detected for several hours and pulled out some change and a stainless steel spinner ring. Went home and took the detector control unit off the shaft and sealed up the cracked area off the control unit. Then started work on the headset wires and noticed not only was the insulation cracked and broken, but the individual wires insulation was cracked and I could see the naked wire itself. Darn more work, so I had to take apart the headset, cut out the bad wires after cutting out all of the clear sealer compound and shorten the cable going to the headset by several inches. I soldered the connections back and hot glued everything back. Of course I did the test after I had hot glued and resealed the headset connections. Time to test my handiwork. Oh :BangHead: darn one ear phone isn't working. Well at least the sound is strong in the other ear phone. Not going to tempt fate by cutting back into it. Tested the detector with rings and jewelry, and coins, ahhhh everything loud and clear for the one head phone. :laughing7: I will test it out this weekend back in the surf of Tampa Bay beaches!!!!! :piratehand:

I have had this EXCAL 1000 for 12 years, :thumbsup: it went into the shop once several years ago after coil failure and broken power switch. I know it has been through some heavy abuse, but it's been an excellent water detector. I hope it will survive the next several months until around Thanksgiving, then I will send it in for a tune up.

Upvote 0

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, no wonder there were no goodies out there on Tuesday.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice handywork on your machine.Happy hunting.:occasion14:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job on the repair, Just Keep a close eye on the Pod and make sure she does not take on any water after every use. If you have 12 years of saltwater hunting on it I'm sure there are other issues that could be unseen. Just went thur a friends detector and found he had a few...O-Rings, cracked cables, knobs, headphones. His was about 10 years old. He had taken excellent care of this machine but Time & Saltwater are Killers...

. bad o ring.jpg DSC_9430.jpg .

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done OBN:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread