Death Trap Diamonds

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I’m at the beach Saturday when this attractive young lady comes running up to me and explains to me that she has lost her diamond ring and she wants to know if I will help her look for it. So I said, “Sure thing. Where’d you lose it?” Now this is where things start taking the wrong turn, as she points out into the surf and says, “right out there, where all those waves are crashing.” Saturday we had a stiff east wind all day, 5 – 8 foot swells, and she wants me to go out there to look for her ring. Now I’m looking at the pounding surf and thinking to myself, “Self, this is madness, if not complete suicide.” But, what can I say, she had those puppy eyes and they were peering right through me, so I says with a smile, “Sure!” And so off I go, like a bold marching soldier, straight into foaming death and destruction that awaited me. (Oh yes, it gets better!)

Now while I’ll out in the surf clearly getting my as$ handed to me from every direction I glance back toward the beach and now the young lady, and a second young lady are frantically waving me back in, “Thank God! They must have noticed I’m dying out here.” Well, no such luck, as I was about to find out. Turned out the second lady had also lost her diamond ring in the surf some fifty-yards down the beach. And, just like the first lady, she also wanted to know if I could go look for ring. Yep, two sets of attractive puppy eyes were now gleaming at me, I mean, what else could a real man say at this point. “Sure! Why not!”

Now I’m going to cut this story a bit short, not going to tell you all about the mouthfuls of water, endless collisions with my scoop, and pinball effects that took place while I was hanging onto dear life out in the surf. All I’m going to tell you is that suddenly, I have absolutely no idea how it was even possible, I got a really sweet hit, you know, one of those mid-tone double bangers that just has “sweet ring” written all over it. Anyway, that’s when the real battle began. Now I had to find this target several times because I kept getting blown off of it, and I gotta tell ya, scooping it out was simply a matter of pure blind luck. Anyway, there it was, right in the bottom of my scoop, a beautiful diamond ring glimmering back at me. Yep, I have to admit, I was exciting just knowing that I was going to make at least one of those attractive ladies very, very happy. And, I could easily live with 50/50 because there was no way in the world I was going back out there. Not a chance!

So I march right up to the two young ladies who are anxiously awaiting me on the beach and I proudly show them the fairly heavy ring and I say, “Ta-da! Who’s the lucky lady?” But they both just look a little stumped, glance curiously at each other for a moment and then they both tell me it isn’t either one of their rings. And then, to make matters worse, when I get back to the truck I take a closer look at the ring and it’s FAKE! A TEASER! A JUNKER! A SWEET LOOKING PRETENDER! I battled "White Fang" for about an hour for a TOY DIAMOND RING!….woke up this morning so sore it took me an hour’s worth of baby steps before things started to loosen up enough that I could stretch out of the fetal position. I mean, where’s the justice! :laughing7:

dia2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed and laughed reading your sad tale of woe but I know the feeling.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Puppy dog eyes.... looking into her puppy dog eyes.... I'm really having trouble believing that one, or is the word eye's secret code for something else? Oh yeah, you were standing there gazing into her convincing *ahem* eyes...

So then, did you get one, or both phone numbers? What if you find the rings in the next day or two? Will you get to gaze into her eyes again?

I know I wouldn't be able to sleep much knowing they are out there, all alone, rolling in the surf- lonely- glistening diamonds crying out for rescue!

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought so. Guess I made a poor attempt at trying to add a little tongue & cheek to the story. :laughing7: I mean, it was rough as heck, but it wasn't exactly certain death. At one point I had some big chunky guy behind me hanging onto my shoulders as I was trying to scoop out the hit and I'm fairly certain he was enjoying the body bumping way too much! :laughing7: But all in all it was a good fun day at the beach. :icon_thumright:
not a pretty picture.........its a good thing the water was cold :tongue3:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gave it your best shot and got a ring even though it's a fake, still a ring.:icon_thumleft:

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ring...Where's the pic of the two beauties though?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread