Death Trap Diamonds

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I’m at the beach Saturday when this attractive young lady comes running up to me and explains to me that she has lost her diamond ring and she wants to know if I will help her look for it. So I said, “Sure thing. Where’d you lose it?” Now this is where things start taking the wrong turn, as she points out into the surf and says, “right out there, where all those waves are crashing.” Saturday we had a stiff east wind all day, 5 – 8 foot swells, and she wants me to go out there to look for her ring. Now I’m looking at the pounding surf and thinking to myself, “Self, this is madness, if not complete suicide.” But, what can I say, she had those puppy eyes and they were peering right through me, so I says with a smile, “Sure!” And so off I go, like a bold marching soldier, straight into foaming death and destruction that awaited me. (Oh yes, it gets better!)

Now while I’ll out in the surf clearly getting my as$ handed to me from every direction I glance back toward the beach and now the young lady, and a second young lady are frantically waving me back in, “Thank God! They must have noticed I’m dying out here.” Well, no such luck, as I was about to find out. Turned out the second lady had also lost her diamond ring in the surf some fifty-yards down the beach. And, just like the first lady, she also wanted to know if I could go look for ring. Yep, two sets of attractive puppy eyes were now gleaming at me, I mean, what else could a real man say at this point. “Sure! Why not!”

Now I’m going to cut this story a bit short, not going to tell you all about the mouthfuls of water, endless collisions with my scoop, and pinball effects that took place while I was hanging onto dear life out in the surf. All I’m going to tell you is that suddenly, I have absolutely no idea how it was even possible, I got a really sweet hit, you know, one of those mid-tone double bangers that just has “sweet ring” written all over it. Anyway, that’s when the real battle began. Now I had to find this target several times because I kept getting blown off of it, and I gotta tell ya, scooping it out was simply a matter of pure blind luck. Anyway, there it was, right in the bottom of my scoop, a beautiful diamond ring glimmering back at me. Yep, I have to admit, I was exciting just knowing that I was going to make at least one of those attractive ladies very, very happy. And, I could easily live with 50/50 because there was no way in the world I was going back out there. Not a chance!

So I march right up to the two young ladies who are anxiously awaiting me on the beach and I proudly show them the fairly heavy ring and I say, “Ta-da! Who’s the lucky lady?” But they both just look a little stumped, glance curiously at each other for a moment and then they both tell me it isn’t either one of their rings. And then, to make matters worse, when I get back to the truck I take a closer look at the ring and it’s FAKE! A TEASER! A JUNKER! A SWEET LOOKING PRETENDER! I battled "White Fang" for about an hour for a TOY DIAMOND RING!….woke up this morning so sore it took me an hour’s worth of baby steps before things started to loosen up enough that I could stretch out of the fetal position. I mean, where’s the justice! :laughing7:

dia2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What a terrible story. You are braver than I am, I would not have battle high waves to look for a ring to return or keep. At least you tried.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive been out there like that.. not fun. At least it was an adventure :icon_thumleft:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me, it had nothing to do with bravery. Normally I wouldn't go near it. But, it was 100% male testosterone and those beautiful warm and peering puppy eyes. They just melted me into one huge wad of stupider. :laughing7: Actually it was rather funny, the kind of thing you enter with a sense of humor and eventually exit with a new set of limits. :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Puppy dog eyes,:icon_scratch: you did read the part in your story where you wrote "engagement rings"? Your going to take a better that fair chance of drowning in very rough surf for a pair of puppy dog eyes that are already engaged....:dontknow:

Good try anyway, I would have told her sorry, but if you lost it in that surf, there is no telling where it is now other than lost.....

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, no, TH. Only true unscrupulous hounds would even think like that. :laughing7: I just hate to see saddened, downhearted young women. I like to see them bright and smiley and full of life. :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detected in heavy surf more that a few times, it isn't worth it....I understand wanting to help, but drowning is not an option in this hobby.............

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Even with YOU full of dying?!

No, no, TH. Only true unscrupulous hounds would even think like that. :laughing7: I just hate to see saddened, downhearted young women. I like to see them bright and smiley and full of life. :icon_thumright:

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
So may I ask. You if go back the next day, it probably won't be in close enough to search well. If you keep checking for weeks around there, it will eventually get pushed in. How long would ya THINK that will take to surf toward shore? With medium waves. High waves have to be faster. Anyone know the approximate time it takes for a medium size gold ring to move in? A foot a day? Slower? Faster?

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
I know the battle of the surf, with a big scoop, it now becomes a wind (water) vane, and a dangerous object, intent on hurting you. Know your limits, pay attention to the conditions, wind, surf, tides, and under tow. Take advantage of the conditions when they are in your favor. Puppy dog eyes! Oh yes, I would have pushed my limits to the outer boundry, but would not have exceeded them. There is always another day to try for recovery of those rings, better to stay within your limits, than to get hurt bodily harm, damaged,broken equipment or worse. The puppy dog eyes, will still be shining a few days later when you return their lost treasures!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you get an a+ for effort and a big f for stupidity!.......i would have done the same thing, very hard to tell a sad girl no.:thumbsup: two people drowned in your area yesterday!!!!!! a 66 year old , and a 14 year old. lifeguards were very busy!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helping is great, putting yourself in that danger....Not Good . Also, you said you showed the " fairly heavy ring and asked who's the lucky lady?" Just imagine if one of these "puppy eyed" girls had a diamond "chip" and you showed them a "rock". Don't you think one of them would have grabbed that thing and moved on? A good rule is to look and see what you have, let the person describe what they lost or you could have lost a very valuable item! Please don't put yourself in danger. Item's can be replaced, but not lives.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice try, but I would have said nope....because I can NOT swim. :flag_red: I love finding stuff for people, but I really dont want to be looking for Davy Jones locker !!

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not exactly how I expected that story to end.....but pretty funny.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you get an a+ for effort and a big f for stupidity!.......i would have done the same thing, very hard to tell a sad girl no.:thumbsup: two people drowned in your area yesterday!!!!!! a 66 year old , and a 14 year old. lifeguards were very busy!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. Watched the lifeguards swim out and fetch at least three drifters yesterday. Long currents are really strong right now and once they take their "belly-boards" out beyond the breakers they can't catch a wave back in and they start drifting down the coast. I tried to hunt a few shallow troughs yesterday but the current was just too stiff to swing a coil so I gave it up pretty quick. A lot of sand being washed in as well.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not exactly how I expected that story to end.....but pretty funny.

I thought so. Guess I made a poor attempt at trying to add a little tongue & cheek to the story. :laughing7: I mean, it was rough as heck, but it wasn't exactly certain death. At one point I had some big chunky guy behind me hanging onto my shoulders as I was trying to scoop out the hit and I'm fairly certain he was enjoying the body bumping way too much! :laughing7: But all in all it was a good fun day at the beach. :icon_thumright:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Very funny and entertaining story. At least you know a good area to hunt for two diamond rings when things settle down a bit. I got to admit that I am a sucker for those puppy dog eyes every time too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread