New beach, old watch, and the usual.

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent a couple of hours on a new beach today mostly in the rocks below the slope. I got my usual clad and bunch of sinkers, and an old watch. The odd part to me was that I found four old coins,(1965 to 1984) basically in one hole. I'd pull one out and go back for another. The total area dug was only about 1 foot by 2 foot. they looked like they were there for awhile, and I did find another nickle close by, before the tide pushed me off the spot. I'll be back. P1000019.JPG
Just like most of my hunts, I got alot of sinkers. Maybe if I spent less time digging the high tones on my cz21, I'd finally get my first gold ring. When I get enough I'll probably sell them to a scrap dealer. Does anyone know if I should be separating the ones with the brass eyes from the plain lead ones? Thanks in advance, and good luck out there.

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice post, Ct Bob. Those sinkers add up fast; I have a bucketful that has to be brought to scrap metal in Thomaston.

Go back to those rocky areas...good luck on your next hunt.

Lorraine

SneadsFerryMD

Apr 10, 2012
Sneads Ferry NC
Detector(s) used
Torreseo Sand Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be better off selling them as used sinkers to fisherman then in scrap. Post on craiglist and im sure you could have a 5 gal bucket full sold in a weekend, and get 10 x the money you would get from a scrapper.

(edit : if they no longer have an eyelet... scrap them, lol)

garyw-123

Greenie
Jun 18, 2012
Bathurst N.B.
Detector(s) used
1100 bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
seperate lead from brass and steel .
brass is worth mutch more . i also save aluminum as it is wort .40 a pound here in N.B.

OP
OP
C

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks everyone. SneadsferryMD, the last time I checked craigs list, there were a couple of guys in ct. selling sinkers for 2 dollars a lb. Even though that's more than double scrap value, not sure I want to put up with possible aggravation of multiple sales and there complications.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SneadsFerryMD

Apr 10, 2012
Sneads Ferry NC
Detector(s) used
Torreseo Sand Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sell new for 3 bucks for a 5 oz here! Maybe just save them up until its time for a garage sale.

OP
OP
C

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They sell new for 3 bucks for a 5 oz here! Maybe just save them up until its time for a garage sale.
Our walmart has them for 4.50 a lb, and cabela's catalog has them at 11.99 for 2 lbs plus shipping. I hate selling them to a scrap yard for under a dollar a lb. I live in a condo which rules out a garage sale, and I know the guy who gives the local tackle shop sinkers, so I don't have many choices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread