My Family Is Embarrassed To Be Near Me On The Beach

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm taking my metal detector to the beaches of Cali for the first time, and I'm stoked! I was kind of heart broken when my family members all concluded that they were going to pretend that they didn't know me. Then they proceeded to ask if I was going to be wearing the sterotypical speedo as I walk up and down the beach. Anyone else ever had stuff like this happen before?

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:
I wish you ALL happy hunting,
I dont have a wife but i search a girl who use metal detector.:dontknow::dontknow:
:headbang::headbang:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah , forgot to mention...any man wearing a "speedo" just looks down right nasty. Never did like the looks of it, even back in the day. Actually, all the women that I've talked too over the years think they are "gross". I have never met one woman who liked them, not one. And also I am a happy camper that my husband enjoys my metal detecting. He is looking forward to going with me some when I get to Wyoming. He keeps an eye out and tells me of places that he notices that might be of interest to me. He is a geologist, so being outside looking at all types of rocks and formations are his thing. He teaches me things and I teach him what I find out.

OP
OP
Pepperlizard

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to clarify here, I don't own a speedo, nor do I ever plan on wearing one, my family just keeps teasing me about it saying that if I'm going to go geek I may as well go for the full package and wear a speedo while I MD. Loving this conversation tho, haha!

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm lucky in thay my wife fully supports my hobbies. She has some rules though. Like if I crash my motorcycle make sure it kills me because she's not spoon feeding me for the rest of my life. You know basic stuff like that!!!

Seriously, it's a good relationship where freedom to try and do new things doesn't have a payback. WE both understand what the priories are and no hobby is in that category.

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently back to a Vx3 withe D2 coil ti'l I can save for the V3i. Previous detectors include: Cz3d, CZ20, Vx3, Explorer SE Pro, XLT, MXTx2, Classic ID, Vaquero, Cibola, F2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting is very addictive! When I started metal detecting years ago I lived in Louisiana. I found an old area that was producing silver coins from the 1800's. When I got off work I would go to the old church site and hunt till dark. One evening I came home and as I walked into the bedroom I noticed the bed looked lumpy. I pulled back the cover and there was one of my metal detectors resting under the covers. I got the hint!

So don't keep us in suspense! Did ya marry the detector or what?! ....:laughing7: Funny stuff, my wife has also made comments similar to your wife's actions, but she loves the bling I bring home from the beach. Dirt huntin' not so much, but she gets it.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife hates the hobby, doesn't want me to talk about it (Depresses her), and doesn't want any of the jewelry I find. She thinks we are opportunistic vultures who prey on people who are unfortunate to loose things. It doesn't matter I have returned 5 rings and had a profound impact on that persons life. It is a shame she cannot support the things that I enjoy doing. All of you guys with spouses that support your hobby don't know how lucky you are.
Short story,I was out detecting @ oceanside from 7:00-7:00 (12 Hrs.).This man told me I should stop over @ Poncho Beach lot's of people go there,so I worked my way down the coastline of beaches.I call my husband to let him know I'll be home around 8:00,he tells me drive safely,I'll see ya when you get home:happy3::Packed my gear up,heading home until I see this sign Poncho Beach,then it dawn on me the guy told me to go there..What do you think? Of course I have to stop:hello2:As soon as I started detecting couple swings this woman comes over frantic,I lost my car keys in the sand,,please help me!!So I'm excited b/c this is my first time helping someone with my Mxt Pro.She showed me the area where it might be, a few swings & keys in my scoop!! The look on her face--Priceless,,her friend said it was magic,,I said "Thank God" it was he that brought me here,the odds on this:headband:She thanked me very much & I headed back home..All those hours, I found a lot of trash,about $12.00 worth of coins,lost car key--which to me was Priceless:icon_thumleft:
When I got home I told my husband the story,,he was a so proud of me & so happy I had a great time..My husband normally goes with me, while I'm detecting he sits in his van working on his computer or reads,I try not to stay out to long anywhere from 4-5 hours or he drops me off @ a beach & picks me up later,when he goes out on job walks,when its my days off. He knows I love the ocean & I love to detect,,what more can a girl ask for--besides another new detector:hello2:
In return I do a lot of things with my husband as well,like golfing,riding motorcycles,etc.having quality time with each other...
HH
Hopefully your wife will come around,,say a prayer for her it doesn't hurt,,,

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting is very addictive! When I started metal detecting years ago I lived in Louisiana. I found an old area that was producing silver coins from the 1800's. When I got off work I would go to the old church site and hunt till dark. One evening I came home and as I walked into the bedroom I noticed the bed looked lumpy. I pulled back the cover and there was one of my metal detectors resting under the covers. I got the hint!
HAHA, that's too funny. My wife used to ask me if my "girlfriend" and I had a good time at the beach. After the first couple of rings she stopped asking me that. :laughing9:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm taking my metal detector to the beaches of Cali for the first time, and I'm stoked! I was kind of heart broken when my family members all concluded that they were going to pretend that they didn't know me. Then they proceeded to ask if I was going to be wearing the sterotypical speedo as I walk up and down the beach. Anyone else ever had stuff like this happen before?
My wife and daughter don't have a problem with my appearance when I go detecting. My daughter has walked along side me while I detected before. My wife would say "Don't go running off with a hottie at the beach." After she saw me getting all geared up when we went to the beach, she knew that that wasn't going to be a possibility. :laughing9:

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
we call em budgie smugglers ( think of a small bird in a sock)

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROFL!!!! Whenever you finally hit the jackpot with, don't share!!! Or perhaps you could stuff some socks down your pants to look more appealing to her while you detect...?!?!?? LMAO

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear a speedo. It cuts down on stupid questions, except this one. "You got a license for that plumber's crack"?

Ha! :laughing7:

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck said:
Wear a speedo. It cuts down on stupid questions, except this one. "You got a license for that plumber's crack"?

Ha! :laughing7:

LMAO!! Or....crack kills!! LOL

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't wear the speedos. There's no room to put the junk finds. Unless you want to impress the ladies not related to you.
I recently ran into a fellow who was packing his gear up and it was only 6:30 a.m.. I asked him if he had had any luck and his friend/brother-in-law told me that he was embarassed because the people were starting to come out onto the beach. I told him to forget those people and if he was having fun to continue doing what he was doing. They can sit on the beach and go "beep, beep, beep" all they want. I'm going to the bank when I leave the beach. I gave him some suggestions as to where to hunt and I went off, on to do my thing. Do what you're comfortable doing. I just got back from the States where apparently black socks and sandals are a fashion statement now.

OP
OP
Pepperlizard

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to the beach today, they ignored me just like they said that they would :laughing7: no impressive finds but it was still a good time, i like how digging in the sand is so much easier than the rock littered dirt everywhere else here in Cali. Found some trash, $0.77 in coins, and what I thought was an explosive device of some kind until I pulled it out. I dug about 9-10 inches down and the first thing that I saw was a rusty piece of metal in the shape of a pipe that was covered in warning labels. It ended up being a nearly used up can a silly string, but I was real nervous handling that thing before I knew what it was. I wanted to keep going but it was a small beach and after an hour there were so many people I couldn't go 5 feet in any direction without stepping on someone's towel :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions