My Family Is Embarrassed To Be Near Me On The Beach

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm taking my metal detector to the beaches of Cali for the first time, and I'm stoked! I was kind of heart broken when my family members all concluded that they were going to pretend that they didn't know me. Then they proceeded to ask if I was going to be wearing the sterotypical speedo as I walk up and down the beach. Anyone else ever had stuff like this happen before?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I started giving my wife diamond rings I found at the beach she doesnt care what I look like when I hunt........ I see your using a 150, your going to have to stay in the dry sand or turn your sensitivity way down to hunt salt water beaches just so you know...

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My kids call me the Geek on the beach or the Sultan of Sand. Putting bling in their hands has turned the crit to kidding. Both my sons now hunt with me. My daughters, wife and daughter in law happily tan awaiting the spoils of our hunts!!!!

As for the Speedo thing- you're on your own with that one!!!!

Good Luck and HH!!!!

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the mid 80's when I had my first detector (a Whites ) my 3 sons would say how embarrassing it was to be seen with me while I detected. Then they slowly came over wanting to give it a try after I started finding stuff. The oldest son has that old Whites detector, but it's broken, we can't find the top part for it. And now I have three detectors and I take my grandchildren and daughter-in-laws to detect. They love it. My sons usually are working, but are extremely into it. They all want one. Once your family see's what it's about, they might come around. Next week I get to take my 89 year old mother- in- law for the first time out detecting! She is thrilled and I can't wait to get some pictures! Now that will be a cherished memory! Just keep doing it, it's great exercise and see what they do when you start to find the good stuff! Good Luck!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Then they proceeded to ask if I was going to be wearing the sterotypical speedo as I walk up and down the beach.

Kind of all depends on what you look like in a Speedo-

When you pass people do they bend over and hurl lunch or smile and say hi to you?

Do dogs on the beach roll in your scent and then try to bury you, or do puppies want to play with you and lick your toes?

Do parents cover their children's eyes and flee from you or do they have a wave, a smile, and a greeting?

Does your mid section provide shade for you feet?

When you are wearing a Speedo can you conveniently tuck your wallet and keys in-between a roll or layer of fat, or do you need someone else to hold them for you?

All very important factors concerning Speedo's in public...

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i used to dirt dig my wife found the hobby a serious waste of my time. But beach hunting..... the bling makes sense to her. Buying a new detector still isnt something she likes hearing either way. As far as your clothing selection..... im sure you look as out of place as any Euro guy does. Yes its kind of like GIB said. Those guys can sure turn a head.... normally away from them as quickly as possible. Enjoy the beach hunting.

Dew

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Speedo's are more of a European thing..scratch that idea. I'd also avoid prime beach time as there are too many people around. Other than that...Go For It!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife hates the hobby, doesn't want me to talk about it (Depresses her), and doesn't want any of the jewelry I find. She thinks we are opportunistic vultures who prey on people who are unfortunate to loose things. It doesn't matter I have returned 5 rings and had a profound impact on that persons life. It is a shame she cannot support the things that I enjoy doing. All of you guys with spouses that support your hobby don't know how lucky you are.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife hates the hobby, doesn't want me to talk about it (Depresses her), and doesn't want any of the jewelry I find. She thinks we are opportunistic vultures who prey on people who are unfortunate to loose things. It doesn't matter I have returned 5 rings and had a profound impact on that persons life. It is a shame she cannot support the things that I enjoy doing. All of you guys with spouses that support your hobby don't know how lucky you are.

And your still married?

Life's too short-

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm taking my metal detector to the beaches of Cali for the first time, and I'm stoked! I was kind of heart broken when my family members all concluded that they were going to pretend that they didn't know me. Then they proceeded to ask if I was going to be wearing the sterotypical speedo as I walk up and down the beach. Anyone else ever had stuff like this happen before?

:laughing7::laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stop supporting the things she likes to do...........:laughing7:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your wife sounds like one of those people that perfer seeing lost things stay in the ground rather than someone finding ,possibly returning or enjoying the find. Most of these self centered people are selfish by nature. My wife doesn't like my hobby but personally but enjoys the fact that it is healthy for me and enjoys seeing what I bring home (jewelry and coins that is)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife gets tired of hearing me talk about detecting, but when I come home with gold she looks like a kid on Christmas morning. If she doesnt keep it, she gets the money from scrapping it...she wins both ways.

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Time for a new family !!

The creed is Metal detecting before family :D

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My loves me detecting and always ask's what i found for that day, even if only a few cents, she use to go with me but didn't like the early morning hours, but still goes now and then, when my body allows me to do it. HH

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you guys are some diehards. MD'n before family???? Thanks for the marriage advice....I think I will keep her. :icon_thumleft:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe its more about time away from them. Im just not one to set around on the couch trying to think of things to do. She like to putter around the house all day or go shopping..... ALL day which isnt my thing. So we have come to an understanding. When there is something needing do..... i get-ur-done. Im lucky her sisters just moved within a mile of us. Girl time.... which i support. She really is supportive.... just not interested. But ..... happy wife happy life..... ensure you give your family equal time. Its nice being retired....... nothing but time.

Dew

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting is very addictive! When I started metal detecting years ago I lived in Louisiana. I found an old area that was producing silver coins from the 1800's. When I got off work I would go to the old church site and hunt till dark. One evening I came home and as I walked into the bedroom I noticed the bed looked lumpy. I pulled back the cover and there was one of my metal detectors resting under the covers. I got the hint!

shern_0711

May 19, 2012
I am fortunate enough to have a wife who loves MDing as much as I do! We hunt together with our kids! I work offshore so I have weeks at a time home and MDing provides us a fun outdoor activity! Listening to y'all makes me feel like a lucky man!

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing better than detecting in a speedo. You get tan and get to show off. As a competitive swimmer, I say, go for it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread