Shark Problem? Any Good Method?

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
One fellow said he had a nurse shark brush his leg. Anyone ever hear of, or have, a bad shark to attack them while detecting in the surf? I saw: The Shark Shocker, that can be bought to keep them back. Is it an issue in the Florida panhandle, or the Georgia coastline? The S S demo looks good, but is it really? Anyone known to have used it while wading in the surf? Or diving? Suppose to be just, strong, rare earth magnets. Some expensive deterrents can be purchased for $300-500. But come on, give me a break. Anyone needing these? Maybe the detector itself, the electronics keep them back? Anyone with an interesting experience with a shark while searching?

Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about 10 water detectorists get attacked every year here in florida........do not take up this hobby and if you have allready please stop!:tongue3:

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
That's not too bad considering the millions now wading, searching around the Florida beaches, huh? ha ha

about 10 water detectorists get attacked every year here in florida........do not take up this hobby and if you have allready please stop!:tongue3:

Beach Hunter

Jun 24, 2012
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Tesoro Sand Shark 10' coil Howie Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more likely to get stung by a sting ray

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
It's like jumping out of the airplane ( will my parachute open) ???? They may have 10,000 jumps in and then one day, guess what the parachute didn't open! It's the chances we take, and how we live our hobby (passion). The time you expend enjoying your hobby, the more chances you will experience something new, different, bad, outstanding. I have not seen any discussions on this web site by anyone using (the shark shocker) not saying that they don't, but I'm not aware of anyone that does! Will I get brushed by another shark, I hope not, but sooner or later it might happen, but that's not going to stop me from detecting in the surf, just like those people who still jump out of perfectly good airplanes, but they have taken safety measures like a reserve chute (if their primary chute does not open). We should always pay attention to our surroundings, the surf conditions, and be ready for the unexpected to happen!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are reports of sharks coming ashore and dragging hunters off the beach into the water.....Best stay away from Fla beaches if you have a detector...:laughing7:

great20white_thumbnail.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Washington, DC - The Federal government is warning Pulse Induction metal detectorists to "Stay dry, and Stay alive!" June through November, is the most dangerous time to be in the surf with breeding and birthing sharks. Compounding this danger, Pulse Induction, or "PI" underwater metal detectors, can attract hungry sharks from as far away as one-nautical mile with their strong electronic pulses.

University of Arizona Professor Sandy Tiburón, said that detectorists - and the swimmers near them, are at increased risk of shark attack. "We have studied this problem since the fatal attack of a beach detectorist in Connecticut, in 2009," commented Professor Tiburón. "Our experiments show that sharks are not only attracted by pulse induction metal detectors, but that they also behave very aggressively when they locate it."

The Obama administration acted quickly in response to last month's fatal shark attack of a pulse induction user near Point Pleasant, New Jersey, announcing the appointment of Terry Soloman, as the administration's new Pulse Induction Czar. Mr. Soloman, will be responsible for gathering up all of the dangerous PI machines currently in use, and advising beach hunters to stay out of the water, through his department's "Stay Dry, Stay Alive!" outreach.

"I think it is critical that all water hunters send in these dangerous PI units as soon as possible," said Mr. Soloman. "We can only help those that want to help themselves, and staying completely out of the water is part of that commitment."

While it was not clear at the time of this interview where the PI metal detectors must be sent, Mr. Soloman made it clear that the information would be announced shortly...

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i can tell you where one needs to be sent...... this good-o-boy is without a water machine and at the mercy of ML. Man could the timing be any worse..... storm and 4th of July coming. Ive seen first had what a shark can do to any fish being brought in to a boat no matter how big the fish is. I wouldnt go flapping around when you find a gold ring, wearing a black dolphin like wet suit, or shaking that scoop to hard out there. Ive had dolphins, manatee and other unknown large fishies visit me out there.... lets not even talk about those large sting rays that pull your feet out from under you or the clear slow moving jelly fish. If its in the water.... it bites, pokes or stings. As far as an earth magnite like devide.... i hope it comes with a stick attached, at least youd have a chance of poking it in the eye. This aint your Grandmas swimming pool out there. Now back to sending those PIs my way.....

Dew

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Face it, when you go into the ocean and some lakes and rivers man is no longer the top of the food chain, but can in fact be the course of the day, we are in fact in their turf and " turf and surf" takes on a whole new meaning.

Last edited:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washington, DC - The Federal government is warning Pulse Induction metal detectorists to "Stay dry, and Stay alive!" June through November, is the most dangerous time to be in the surf with breeding and birthing sharks. Compounding this danger, Pulse Induction, or "PI" underwater metal detectors, can attract hungry sharks from as far away as one-nautical mile with their strong electronic pulses.

University of Arizona Professor Sandy Tiburón, said that detectorists - and the swimmers near them, are at increased risk of shark attack. "We have studied this problem since the fatal attack of a beach detectorist in Connecticut, in 2009," commented Professor Tiburón. "Our experiments show that sharks are not only attracted by pulse induction metal detectors, but that they also behave very aggressively when they locate it."

The Obama administration acted quickly in response to last month's fatal shark attack of a pulse induction user near Point Pleasant, New Jersey, announcing the appointment of Terry Soloman, as the administration's new Pulse Induction Czar. Mr. Soloman, will be responsible for gathering up all of the dangerous PI machines currently in use, and advising beach hunters to stay out of the water, through his department's "Stay Dry, Stay Alive!" outreach.

"I think it is critical that all water hunters send in these dangerous PI units as soon as possible," said Mr. Soloman. "We can only help those that want to help themselves, and staying completely out of the water is part of that commitment."

While it was not clear at the time of this interview where the PI metal detectors must be sent, Mr. Soloman made it clear that the information would be announced shortly...

That's pretty funny...

Mr "Tiburon" ?? AKA... "Mr Shark" ha ha ha
Mr Soloman, posted by Mr. Soloman... ha ha ha

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't mind the constant complaining and snotty attitude you could take my ex-wife out detecting in the water with you.

Just have her walk ahead of you by 10 paces or so.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know my ex wife ?
If you don't mind the constant complaining and snotty attitude you could take my ex-wife out detecting in the water with you.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This looks pretty interesting:

Home Page |
Sharks have a special set of sensors on their noses called " Ampullae of Lorenzini." These sensors help sharks navigate through the oceans by the sensing of the earth's magnetic field. When a shark encounters a magnetic field stronger than the earths; like the strong magnetic field produced by the Shark Shockers Neodymium rare earth magnets, it will become disoriented and uncomfortable and swim away

I'm skeptical though, those would have to be some VERY strong magnets.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can have mine also, one on each side of you to protect you....:laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always try and hunt with a slower, fatter buddy in the water. First fin I see, my "Buddy" gets cut "accidentally," and I skidaddle on up to the beach.. :occasion14:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry..... hows that go i dont have to run fast..... just faster than you.

Dew

Apr 21, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've punched 2 great whites in the nose and they only managed to get an arm and a leg. I think taking a fatter buddy is a great idea!

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I have two rare earth magnets on my water scoop, so I guess I am safe from the sharks and do not have to die a slow death listening to your ex-wives complaining all day long while I slowly go deaf and insane.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
head fhones werk wounders
I have two rare earth magnets on my water scoop, so I guess I am safe from the sharks and do not have to die a slow death listening to your ex-wives complaining all day long while I slowly go deaf and insane.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread