Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First the return.

Got out for about an hour after work, I was about waist high had a good signal dug it out and it was an aluminum plate about 2X8 inches with a couple of holes drilled, about 10 feet away found a similiar piece. Stuck them in my back pocket and detected around for a while. saw a neighbor a few docks over and started talking to him about the detector, I hadn't seen him since last year. He asked if the detector found aluminium and I said I had a nice collection of pull tabs and then I pulled out the pieces I found and ended up they were part of his dock steps. I found them probably 100 yards from his dock so they got moved around some since a storm last year. Nice to find out where some of the crap you find comes from.

Also found a pretty small older looking ring a little earlier by the shoreline. It looked pretty small I figured it was junk jewelry with decent size fake stone. Got home and saw it marked 10K and the stone fell out in pocket. I am hoping it is real, but not holding my breath. What's a good way to check on the stone? It looks pretty cloudy, also how to clean the gold as it s corroded, but looks like gold in 1goldring.JPG setting part.

Thanks and Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is corroded it is not gold , gold comes out of the ground looking the same as it went in.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice find...I hope it turns out to be gold.

Lorraine

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is corroded it is not gold , gold comes out of the ground looking the same as it went in.

Yeah I don't think is actually corroded, but dirty. I pulled it out of freshwater and looks pretty old. I dug a wheat penny nearby. Giving it a soak in a little warm water/baking soda solution now, I tried a litted scrub and the blackness was coming off.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well hope it's gold. As for the stone clean it up and if you have a jewelers loup you have to check the inside of the stone, if it's a real diamond you should see some small black dots, depending on the purity of the diamod you will see more or less of this black dots... if you see none than most likely it's a fake, unless you have a pure diamod that would be incredibly rare.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
gee I hope that ice is real - a nice old 10k with a sweet stone would be be trumps!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!!:hello2:

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
Another trick to test a diamond is this. I was in one of my local pawn shops plundering around for camera lenses, my gf was looking over the jewelry and noticed stones stuck to the display case glass. We asked the lady running the place about it. Apparently if you hold the flat face of a diamond against the glass and rub it around a bit it will stick to the glass an hang there. Its how they display loose diamonds there. Don't know if I would have believed it if i hadn't watched her stick a few to the top of the case from underneath.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
If it is 22kt gold, you are correct that it will not corrode. However, I have 2 corroded/tarnished items in my collection, one marked 14k and the other 10k, both acid tested as marked. Depending on the minerals in the sand, a salt water environment can and will set up an electrolysis action between the filler metals included with the gold and the minerals in the sand. The tarnished idem could be fake, but you would have to test it to be sure. Blessings, Ralph

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try electrollisis on the gold for 5 minets or so,the ring might clean up nice.Good luck and happy hunting.:icon_thumleft:

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
I get a jewelry polishing cloth from the Walmart jewelry department and use it to polish rings up if I want to see what they are before I get home. They also have a jewelry cleaner in a jar with a little basket and brush you can soak them in. Then polish with the cloth. Polishing with the cloth 1st gets the cloth dirty quicker though.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everybody for the input, I was able to clean alot of the dirt off with an old tootbrush and baking soda. Since it is marked 10K, I pretty much believe it, is older looking. I do have atest kit so I'll probably try it out sometime for fun.

Dead Eye - thanks for the diamond suggestion, never heard that one, but worth a try.

If I can wake up early tomorrow I'll get some swinging in, If I not I'll waste all day playing on the beach like I did today.

Happy Hunting Everyone.

L

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
Your Welcome, just one of those weird things that sticks in your head when ya see it. I don't know if it will work on a stone with the ring still attached. I kind of doubt it due to the weight of the metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread