Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been wanting to try this out and now that I have a Platypus waterproof DD coil I'm ready to go. Been trying to figure out the best way to set the machine up for hunting in this environment. I will, of course, be using the Salt-Gold timing and will also probably start out in the "General" search mode. I normally use fixed GB, but wasn't sure if tracking GB would work better. I also use slow sweep speed for relic hunting, but with all the ground to cover at the oceanfront I might need to step that up to medium or fast. I will also have to play with the gain and stabilizer once I get out there to help achieve smooth operation. One of the main reasons for me to try this machine at the beach is to be able to disc out bobby pins, and small rusty fishing hooksand pieces of wire which I can't eliminate with my Infinium. By turning the iron reject up to 10 I was able to knock out all those items while air testing. And at that setting I was still able to clearly pick up the smallest gold ring I had, as well as get good depth. So those are the settings I was thinking about starting with, but wanted to see what others had been using successfully. That and any other salt water hunting tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 1

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best of luck to you. Personally, I think you are out of your mind to take your GPX anywhere near the wet sand or water. My buddy Roger brought his out to Jones Beach, and all I can say is get ready to dig quarters at 28" and Matchbox cars at 30"+. Bring your backhoe with you!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You're not the first person to tell me that. But I'm gonna have the electronics wrapped up and waterproofed, plus will be using the harness and bungee to make sure it doesn't accidentally get dropped. And I'm not going to be out in the water where waves are breaking. Ankle deep is the limit for me, and 90% of the time will be up in the wet sand well away from the water's edge. Also not going to waste time digging high conductivity targets as I'll be concentrating on finding gold. But you're right about having to dig deep as I've dug a hammered sixpence in a field at a measured 22" with a GPX-4000. I plan to post my experiences, good or bad.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're not the first person to tell me that. But I'm gonna have the electronics wrapped up and waterproofed, plus will be using the harness and bungee to make sure it doesn't accidentally get dropped. And I'm not going to be out in the water where waves are breaking. Ankle deep is the limit for me, and 90% of the time will be up in the wet sand well away from the water's edge. Also not going to waste time digging high conductivity targets as I'll be concentrating on finding gold. But you're right about having to dig deep as I've dug a hammered sixpence in a field at a measured 22" with a GPX-4000. I plan to post my experiences, good or bad.

Allright then Bill you wild man, try this - General Search Mode, Special Soil/Timings, Mono or Double D Coil/Rx, Fixed Ground Balance and Threshold at an audible level.
Volume Limit 2, General Ground Balance Type, Special Timings/Fine Gold, Very Slow Motion, 18 to 20 RX Gain, Quiet Audio Type, Audio Tone set to personal preference, Stabilizer at 1, Signal Peak at 20, Target Volume 20, Normal Response, Medium Tracking Speed, Iron Reject Off.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait Bill for your post with the results of your hunt.
Terry are you setting up a detector or starting a 747.:laughing7:
Good hunting every one,
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions