PI comparisons:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is going to get ugly. Here is what I can tell you from personal experience. The Tesoro Sand Shark and Whites Dual Field, are just as good or better than every other beach PI on the market today at twice their price, and the Tesoro is the ONLY one with a lifetime warranty. On the beach you don't need more than 18" in depth, and all of the machines can do that. The reason I use the Sand Shark is because it is by far the easiest to use and dial in.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
LOL!... Terry you were very nice and brief in your opening statement. I only own the Dual Field and Sand Shark myself so I can not be much help on other PI machines. But this should be interesting to watch unfold. Ok guys, to your respective corners and come out swinging.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
VERY interesting...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larry, you know me and my experience on detectors and beach hunting, diving. I have used JW Fishers, Garretts, you name it. The White's coils float like corks so they are out for the water unless you have arms like Popeye. They are deep however, but like Terry said, he prefers the Tesoro Sand Shark for ease of use and so do I. Fisher used to make a PI called the Impulse which I liked too, but it is discontinued. All are about equal in depth depending on coil size. If you can find an older Sand Shark with the coil connectors you can use which ever coil for it you want. They are hardwired now.
065.gif

tazz1

Apr 28, 2011
CT
Detector(s) used
Dual Field
Sand Shark
E trac
Excal 2
Sov GT
Tek G2
Tejon
I used to own a sand shark w/10" coil. Great machine for the price & warranty, like stated above its very easy to use and seemed to always run extremely smooth. I bought a dual field a few months ago and have since sold the sand shark. I never did side by sides but a friend bought a sand shark w/8" coil and he has checked a bunch of my deep signals. Every time he couldn't hear the whispers I would take the machine and try to get it to respond but it never would. 2 of those turned out to be deep old gold. The sand shark is a great unit but just doesn't have the depth that the DF does. I do regret selling my SS though wouldve liked it for a backup They are built like tanks and have that great warranty to boot. Every time I change batteries on the DF I'm scared it'll break. Def not as rugged as the SS.

tazz1

Apr 28, 2011
CT
Detector(s) used
Dual Field
Sand Shark
E trac
Excal 2
Sov GT
Tek G2
Tejon
Also, I was hesitant to buy the DF from all the complaints about the floating coil but I've never even noticed it. I know a lot of people hate that but it really isn't that bad. I'm not a lil tiny guy but I'm no gym rat either. Maybe I got one that actually is neutral???

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have never used the sand shark...but have many many hours on the dual field where I hunt it gives great depth when hunting with seasoned hunters using excals and etracs I often come out on top,have had them check targets I can hear they get nothing...some have been gold or silver! ...never have issues with floating coil...I do not like the factory S shaft and run a custom built by me straight shaft.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What I'm getting out of this so far is that if used in water the DF (may not) be ideal, and the SS may. On wet or dry salt beaches it seems that the depth may be about the same. This is the info I've been waiting for. Thanks.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I personally find that I seem to get a little more depth with the Dual Field than with the Sand Shark. The Shark does seem to be a bit more sensitive to small gold however. As for the floating coil on the DF, I use the Anderson coil weight and it works great in the water but too heavy on the wet sand for more than five minutes of hunting. On the wet sand I will opt for my VLF Excal to cope with the iron and trash.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What I'm getting out of this so far is that if used in water the DF (may not) be ideal, and the SS may. On wet or dry salt beaches it seems that the depth may be about the same. This is the info I've been waiting for. Thanks.
Dual field is killer in the water or wet sand and I do not think you'll find any thing deeper....I have used the PI PRO also and find the DF to have increased depth over that. I have found many stud earings with the dual field also.."gold" ones. so I know it hits on tiny gold too.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread