My best water hunting find thus far!

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months back I was hunting at a New Hampshire beach with my Excal. I had a good feeling about the day, because just 5 minutes in I got my first signal which turned out to be an encrusted Mercury dime. At that point I had a gut feeling that told me I needed to make my way into the water. As soon as I got in, I looked down and saw a piece of aluminum trash, I scooped it up and put it in my trash pouch to get the garbage out of the way.
Only a few steps and swings later, I got a blasting signal that I had to dig. I took my first big scoop, and no target was to be seen. I swung the coil over the area again, and the signal got even louder, I scooped down again, and still nothing in the scoop. I had to repeat swinging over the area and scooping a total of 5 times before I finally had the target! I looked into my scoop and saw a huge piece of chain hanging out, the rest of it was still covered in muck. I slowly started pulling out the chain and couldn't believe how heavy it was. I finally got to the end of the chain and saw a medallion attached. I didn't know what this peculiar chain with pendant was at the time of recovery but I knew it had to be something special. It turned out to be an old Knights Templar 25[SUP]th[/SUP] degree Masonic watch fob and chain. There were 2 types of gold used, 14k rose gold and 14k yellow gold. The weight of all the gold is 1.685 Troy ounces. This beautiful old find is the best I've ever made. I'm hoping to top this find some day :).
Steve

Attachments

• back of masonic cross 4:7:12.jpg
    back of masonic cross 4:7:12.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 206
  • front of masonic cross 4:7:12.jpg
    front of masonic cross 4:7:12.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 4:7:2012 first and best masonic find.jpg
    4:7:2012 first and best masonic find.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 254
  • whole chain with cross 4:7:12.jpg
    whole chain with cross 4:7:12.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Upvote 0

PI JOE

Feb 17, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field White's IDX-PRO Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find Steve.....couldn't happen to a better person! :icon_thumright:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds.

OP
OP
S

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find Steve.....couldn't happen to a better person! :icon_thumright:

Thanks Joe, you've made some really beautiful ring finds yourself recently! If it wasn't for our half hour long phone conversation 3 winters ago when you took the time to explain what I'd be getting into with water hunting, the gear I'd need, and get me dreaming about what great finds were out there to be taken from the ocean, it never would have happened. You're a good friend. Happy to see you here on this forum buddy.

Beachog

Sep 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one Amazing Find!!!Very unusual I 'd say a find of a life time . Banner for sure .Good luck and HH

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool, I have to vote banner on this one. You just paid for that excal! Always a nice feeling...especially when you can tell it to the significant other at home...

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
WOW! Very unique and unusal find. And a big one too! Very nice.

OP
OP
S

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone! I've still been researching this find, and reached out to a Masonic Museum to try and get more information on it. I'm waiting to hear back.

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find!!! That's a tough one to beat. Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread