Newbie Needs Recommendation for Saltwater Unit

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What is your budget

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Sand Shark
Whites Dual Field
Fisher CZ 21
Minelab Excalibur

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need recommendation for saltwater unit. Surf and Wet Sand, Corpus Christi Texas area. Thanks,

Hello David and welcome to TreasureNet... Are you a new hunter or do you have experience......? If your new then recommend you look at a VLF detector like the Minelab Excalibur or Fisher CZ 21, multifreq detectors are much more stable in salt water conditions including the sand. If your new I advise you stay away from the PIs till you get more experience. I have known at least a 6 or 7 new hunters who bought PIs and everyone got rid of them due to the frustration of digging every tiny piece of iron on a beach... PIs are good, especially on clean beaches, but it takes a while to learn them....

The Minelab Excal has a great feature, it will null (loss of threshold sound) when it goes over a piece of iron so you know it is iron, plus it will still tell you there is gold there by the iron...

What ever you get good luck and again welcome to TreasureNet....

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for posting that very informative article

Lorrainde

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Minelab Excal has a great feature, it will null (loss of threshold sound) when it goes over a piece of iron so you know it is iron, plus it will still tell you there is gold there by the iron..."

I have hit alot of spots peppered by guys with minelabs - I have followed them with Pi and Cz (in all metal)- dug iron they passed by and have gotten many old gold next to and under iron - not just one or 2 rings - im talking probably 20 gold rings at least over the yrs
bottom of page - article I wrote "Trash: the importance of picking it up "
Flickr: Casper-2's Photostream

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Minelab Excal has a great feature, it will null (loss of threshold sound) when it goes over a piece of iron so you know it is iron, plus it will still tell you there is gold there by the iron..."

I have hit alot of spots peppered by guys with minelabs - I have followed them with Pi and Cz (in all metal)- dug iron they passed by and have gotten many old gold next to and under iron - not just one or 2 rings - im talking probably 20 gold rings at least over the yrs
bottom of page - article I wrote "Trash: the importance of picking it up "
Flickr: Casper-2's Photostream

The mistake these guys are making Casper is they are not checking each null found with a 90 degree different sweep, when it nulls you HAVE TO rescan the target again but from a 90 degree difference direction from the first sweep... You can't just let it null and walk off thinking it was just iron, it works I have found gold with iron, but got a solid null on first sweep one direction, moved to a 90 degree difference from first sweep and got a tone for the gold.........

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured they were doing something wrong - you can teach them a few leasons Treasure_Hunter :icon_thumleft:
their loss - my gain

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured they were doing something wrong - you can teach them a few leasons Treasure_Hunter :icon_thumleft:
their loss - my gain

It is your gain no doubt.....:headbang: It is like someone driving a 6 speed sports car but only using the first 4 gears.....whats the point if your not going use it...

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great point treasure hunter. The details often make the difference between a so so day and a great day in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread