Suggestions (Long One)

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
OK Long story. It has been a long while since I posted on here. What with my leg and my age I haven't been doing a lot of hunting and what I have been doing has been close to home and hasn't been very fruitful if you know what I mean! Lots of hunters at my little beach so very few finds.

I was feeling pretty good this morning and decided to go hunting and this time I was going “south”. When I say going “south” I mean I was going to a beach much further south than I am – one of the nice big beaches. I go anywhere from where I live in Spring Hill - south to Siesta Key which is about 2 hours away. I love the beaches further south and it didn’t disappoint this morning. It was sooooo pretty. The water was almost flat, and so warm it was like getting in a bathtub. I walked out up to my mid-chest and started hunting. I turned south and hunted parallel to the beach but ended up walking much too far. The water started out real calm but by noon it had started getting choppy. Not bad, but enough to knock me off balance several times. I dam near didn’t make it back! It was too much for me. I thought I was feeling pretty good but .... way to much for me the way my leg is right now. I ended up getting out of the water 3 blocks too soon and lucky for me that there is a bench at every opening on every street. I had to sit down at every one of them before I could go on and get to my car. I really didn’t think I was going to make it but thankfully for the benches... I did. I was really worn out by the time I made it back to the car and had to sit there for a little while but turned the a/c on and started feeling much better. Now you’d think after all that I really found some cool stuff. Not so. I only had 3 hits the whole time! One was a penny. One was a bobby pin and the last was.... this necklace. At first I thought I had hit it big time but... alas.... NO I DIDN'T. I found all the pieces of the necklace including the pendant. Ah well it was a beautiful morning and I enjoyed most of it. Not the trip getting back to the car but the rest was wonderful. It is a Caesar’s Palace coin. RATS! Oh well..... better than nothing.

Necklace0708121.jpg

Necklace0708122.jpg

Necklace0708123.jpg

Now for the suggestion. I am headed out to Texas to visit my daughter near Killeen. Can anyone suggest a place for me to water hunt near there? OK OK you don't have to give me your favorite "hot' spot but any little river or beach area that might be ok for me to hunt once or twice while I'm out there. We are also going to be spending 3 days at Galveston so I know I can hunt there. It is the areas near Killeen that I am wondering about. Any help? ??? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mumszie, how nice to see you posting again...sorry about the leg problem

I 'm wondering : is that necklace silver under all the crusting?

have fun on your visit to Texas...

take care

Lorraine

Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:Mumszie

I'm like Lorraine...so glad to see you posting, I've missed ya!

Sorry to hear of the leg problems, but you need to be extra careful out there, in the deeper water & wandering too far.

I really like your find. Have fun in TX!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm also glad to find a post from you Mumszie!

I've pushed myself too far a couple times too..I plop down in the shade of a lifeguard tower and can usually recover my breath. I've been buddy detecting with some younger buddies and they've kept me going for 6 or 7 hours when I'm more used to 2 hour shifts!

Good luck in Kileen.

:occasion14:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you posting as well Mumszie. I figured you were too busy scooping up all that loot that you didn't have time to post. :goldbar:

Happy hunting in Texas.

Looking at a satellite image of the Killeen area, I see a couple lakes with beach access. One is Belton Lake and the other is Stillhouse Hollow Lake. There is a couple swim areas on both lakes. They are to the east of Killeen.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back Mumszie...didnt feel right without you here.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you back at it missed ya.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back girl. I missed you.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been missing you for sure! buy a delorme atlass of texas or look at one from a libary in texas when you get there, shows parks, swim areas etc.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome back,you must be an amazing Woman!!!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread