Just a few inches of sand

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a Few Inches of Sand

Sometimes it only takes just a few inches of sand removal to turn an uneventful outing into a productive hunt. Case in point; the items pictured below were all found on a section of heavily hunted beach after just two complete tide changes that had stripped away about three to four inches of sand. This happened just after the monthly low tide cycle, when the increasing tides had caused a sudden change in the force and flow of the currents. The gently lapping beach currents during the monthly low tide cycle had been bringing in a constant dusting of sand buildup, but when this low cycle was over and the beach currents and water force began to increase this build up of sand started getting removed and pushed around. Now all of these items are made of lightweight materials and yet they were all still about 4 – 6 inches deep, just deep enough that they couldn’t be detected with the additional few inches of sand over them that had just been removed. I know this because I had just hunted this same section of beach less then 48 hours before with very little results even though most of this stuff had been lost during the 4th of July weekend, giving clue to just how fast they can be covered up under several inches of sand. I hunted this section of beach on the 6th and found next to nothing. On July the 8th I noticed the stripping of sand and hunted it again with much better results. Yes, there is gold on this section of beach, in fact, I know for certain that there is a very expensive platinum engagement ring on this same section of beach, which is why I’ve been keeping tabs on the sand in this section. Problem is this, because of it’s heavier weight and very limited surface area, the gold/platinum is still much deeper and more sand is going to have to be removed before these heavier items can be accessed.

So here is the point of this little text; keep close tabs on the sand on your area beaches and when you see an area where even a few inches of sand has been removed, hunt that area thoroughly. A few inches doesn’t sound like much but the removal of just a few inches of sand can oftentimes allow you to detect items that were just out of reach before the few inches of sand was removed. Just passing the notion along. Happy Hunting!

junkers-1.jpg

Upvote 0

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice post! What's the coin in the photo? I can't make it out.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one, congratulation!!

SneadsFerryMD

Apr 10, 2012
Sneads Ferry NC
Detector(s) used
Torreseo Sand Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a HUGE cut yesterday, my only issue was that it was deep and tired. The deepest section was waist deep water (i would say more then 30 inches of sand cut, soft sandy bottom), I elected to hunt the teir above the water level (maybe 20 inches of sand missing, hard packed black "muck"), It was covered in large shells, and tree roots were exposed (first time i have seen roots/stumps on this beach). Should I be sticking to the areas with shells, or should i go right down to the deep stuff?

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
thank you for the informative post, bigscoop..much appreciated

Congrats on those very nice finds

Lorraine

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a HUGE cut yesterday, my only issue was that it was deep and tired. The deepest section was waist deep water (i would say more then 30 inches of sand cut, soft sandy bottom), I elected to hunt the teir above the water level (maybe 20 inches of sand missing, hard packed black "muck"), It was covered in large shells, and tree roots were exposed (first time i have seen roots/stumps on this beach). Should I be sticking to the areas with shells, or should i go right down to the deep stuff?

I'd hunt it all in a very tight, controlled pattern, especially the slopes and the bottom of the cut. That soft stuff in the bottom may only be a few inches deep with hard pack just underneath it? Most often, as the cut is being made, the heavier objects will settle on the slopes and on the bottom. Also, if there is an obvious "current outlet" exiting the cut I always check this area where the exiting flow may have deposited some goodies. Just my take on it. Good luck! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for the informative post, bigscoop..much appreciated

Congrats on those very nice finds

Lorraine

Unfortunately they're all junkers, but they're junkers I wasn't getting with all that extra sand on the beach. Now if we can just get another 6 - 8 inches to go away! (Trying to develop a secret beach sand stripping dance but someone keeps calling the cops. :o) j/k :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting closer to the gold...I see you had your heart into it...6 hearts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread