Tsunami run-off coming our way

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say the Japanese tsunami created 1.5 million tons of floating debris that is heading toward the west coast of the U.S in the next couple years. Looks like it's mainly going toward Washington and Oregon. The thing is, a lot of people in Japan keep valuables in their own homes in waterproof safes. My understanding is that some of these safes may be able to float all the way across the Pacific. I'm not sure if that's true or not but if you were to come across a safe filled with jewelry and yen, would you keep it or turn it in? Most of the stuff that will be coming ashore is going to be trash but suppose you do find something of value that is clearly from Japan and likely from the tsunami. Would you keep the stuff? Is it ethical? Is it legal? Just wondering what some of you think you would do under the circumstances and the fact that the run-off is a result of a major disaster that killed numerous people. Is it right to keep/profit from the debris?

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuff Call.

I suppose IF there is something to ID the Owner & I am able to Locate the Owner alive,
I would feel obligated to return it.

I Wouldn't WANT TO give it to a stranger under the Premise they would do their best to return it to
the Person or the Japanese Government.

and if there is No ID , It's definately Mine

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would donate it to the "Whales Wars" guys. That way Japan would be getting it back

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I guess it could happen that a waterproof safe could float over this way. This is a link to an article about the many safes that have been found and the difficulty of trying to return them to the rightful owner: Japan Lost Money: Safes, Cash Wash Up On Shores After Tsunami I think it is just like any valueable found on the beach. If the owner is identifiable, I feel a moral/ethical obligation to make a reasonable attempt to find the owner (God does exist and He holds us accountable for our actions) . If the owner of the found valuables is not identifiable, then it is mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread