Good, fairly inexpensive waterproof detector

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all! I know sometimes these types of posts become argumentative over whose brand is better than whose...but here's the question. I've been researching a certain area and have come across multiple accounts in multiple sources about a certain individual traveling along a certain river that dumped their boat and lost a load of silver coins back in 1840. I've only ever ground detected and don't know much about water detecting. Anyone know a fairly decent water detector that won't break my bank account?

Thanks!

John

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it appears you are fresh water hunting you might pick up a used AT Pro. Water proof to 10 FT with disc and pretty good depth in fresh water. IF.... you find some of the coins and its a big score........ then its time to reconsider. At that point id be dredging lol.

Dew

OP
OP
D

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dew! Yes, it will be fresh water. I'm a long way from any salt water here. And, oh yes, if it ends up being a big haul, then I can justify a new expensive MD with all the bells and whistles....but as of right now, the wife seems to think that there are more important things to spend money on! Geesh, can you believe that? lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a new AT Pro is in neighborhood of $600, which is the low side for water detecting unless you go used and it will only drop maybe $100 more if your lucky......

Water detecting is specialized, you will still need good scoop too....

OP
OP
D

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TH...one more question, if I may? When water detecting, does one wear headphones?

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if your md is under water, than headphones are a must to hear the different in signal tones. If only your coil is underwater, than headphones aren’t necessary.

To answer your next question Yes they make underwater headphones.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TH...one more question, if I may? When water detecting, does one wear headphones?

To be honest you should always use headphones, deep targets will give you faint signals, outside noise will interfere with the built in speaker, wind noise especially...You want to be able to hear even the slightest change of the threshold which you want with the built in speaker..

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for clearing that up for me. You've all been a big help, thanks!

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For fresh water the Fisher 1280X is very good. It's a true underwater detector that is rated to 200'. Built like a tank too. Used ones sell on eBay for under $400. The Garrett AT Pro may not hold up to rigorous underwater use, especially if you are diving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions