Whites Surfmaster Dual Field PI... Help please!

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
White's Surfmaster Dual Field PI... Help please!

So if i understand correctly the thresh hold is turned until you hear a light consistent hum, if i am correct it also adjusts the volume? My White's Surfmaster PI Dual Field thresh hold really does NOT change the volume an instead does nothing that i can notice a difference with, the noise that is produced with my machine is sporadic sometimes going off an does NOT maintain a consistent hum but bounces around an sometimes if i hold it above the ground not pointing at anything it wont make a sound. I can tell the difference between the sporadic noise and a target. The target makes a beep noise when gone back and forth over the item but the constant low hum that is to be produced is NOT produced. Is this normal ? I cant find any videos detailing the normal noises from the machine and i pray mine isnt broken.

I found 2.20 in clad today so it does pick up targets but JEEZ i am going to go DEAF the noise is so loud on my machine, i guess thats normal ?

Could someone PLEASE help or post a video showing how their machines functions??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
I held the machine IN AIR so their was no interference from the ground, i with the GAIN turned all the way up an the threshold trying to produce a constant hum instead my hum is scratchy. I had a coin waved in front of my machine about 1 foot away an i didnt get a beep until the coin was close, 2 inches close to get a constant beep back and forth. What setting should i set it on, when i turn the gain DOWN i can get the threshold to produce a clean constant hum but it couldnt find the coin in front of it until it was close. I PRAY my brand new machine was NOT mailed to me faulty, it does work to get targets and maybe i tested it wrong ?

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That machine has 3 switches,try turning the sensativity down when its chattering until it stops.Good luck and Happy hunting.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
With the GAIN turned all the way up my machine CAN NOT produce a constant hum instead its scratchy coming in and out. My machine will ONLY produce a constant nice low hum with the gain being turned to about 11 a clock on my dial, my machine with the gain turned all the way up will NOT receive a beep noise with a coin waved in air about 8 inches away. Instead it brings in that scratchy noise and doesnt beep. Is my machine damaged ? This sucks only a week in and its been like this.

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
That machine has 3 switches,try turning the sensativity down when its chattering until it stops.Good luck and Happy hunting.:icon_thumleft:

I don't use the pulse delay so more like 2 buttons for me :/, the sand i deal with is coral sand so i can hunt with the gain turned all the way up i was told? But when the gain is all the way up i get nothing but chatter and adjusting the threshold makes no difference to the chatter ! Still my machine should make a beep noise when the target is far out or do the DF not produce a beep but chatter instead for far out targets ?

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
I set my gain to 2pm and it chatters a little but I add a little puilse delay to smooth it out (7am) my advice learn the machine by using factory settings first then you can add more gain after that... do not use a lot of pulse delay otherwise you will start to lose depth and sensitivity to smaller gold. I use my threshold at 1pm which is where I like it.

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
I set my gain to 2pm and it chatters a little but I add a little puilse delay to smooth it out (7am) my advice learn the machine by using factory settings first then you can add more gain after that... do not use a lot of pulse delay otherwise you will start to lose depth and sensitivity to smaller gold. I use my threshold at 1pm which is where I like it.

Whoa.... Craig-PI... Its an honor to have you posting on my post !!! I was just reading about you in Clive's book and how your one of the best!! I did a little more reading at the highest gain electrical interference causes chatter, i'm testing my MD in the middle of my house so i imagine that has something to do with it! I was really concerned when it had difficulty finding the coin a few inches away but i imagine the electrical interference had something to do with it.

Craig i live in Cancun and have several apartments that tourist sometimes stay in, ever think of coming down to the beach maybe for a week ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread