Frequency of finds

Joao

Jul 11, 2012
Portugal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I would like to know the frequencies of finds that we can expect by prospecting beaches with a medium quality metal detector.
I guess this is very volatile but an experient hunter maybe have an idea.
Metal detector should be in a specific searching mode, like gold, to avoid the amount of trash on beaches?
It's better prospecting close to the water due to level of the sand to maximize the detection range of detector?

Sorry for my all questions, Im a newbie.
:laughing7:

Thanx

Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is a medium quality detector, wich brand and model?

are you hunting wet sand, in the water or dry sand?

the level/depth of the sand is your enemy, gold rings sink very fast!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frequency of finds is impossible to judge because of tides, time of day, amount of beach goers with jewelry, Temp, wind and water temperature. Cold water shrinks fingers and hot weather with sun means slippery suntan lotion. You can learn alot here. The Golden Olde You just need a large coil to cover the most ground you can in as little time. Too cheap a detector and you lose depth and reliability.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I would like to know the frequencies of finds that we can expect by prospecting beaches with a medium quality metal detector.
Metal detector should be in a specific searching mode, like gold, to avoid the amount of trash on beaches?
It's better prospecting close to the water due to level of the sand to maximize the detection range of detector?

Thanx

That's a loaded question! How many times and how long are you going to the beach? How proficient are you with the detector you are using? Are you going to a beach that is frequented or was frequented by people that wear jewelry? Is it rocky, sandy or heavily mineralized with black sand? Are you overlapping your sweeps? If you are trying to leave out tash such as pull tabs, slaw, foil or aluminum you probably wont find anything.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its hard to know this moment so learn the beach ( low and hight tide) The frequencies of finds are little on the beaches sometime can you find the beach move the sand. This moment you hunt very frequencie. The now i prepare calendar of hunt on the beach and i will publish soon.
Thank you.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think frequency and EXPECT are words you exchange for LUCK, SKILL, and TIME. You cant find it if you dont walk over it so there is some luck to it especially with all the competition out there now. Skill is learning your beach, machine, and how/when to hunt.... like Sandman said. If you dont invest the time especially with a so so machine then you had best be LUCKY. About the only real targets i try to avoid are SHALLOW bottle caps and iron.... ill kick gum wrapper and shallow targets just in case and dig about everything elce. You cant get into the mode of avoiding digging. Almost every target has gold potential. What ive found in my short beach hunting experience is there are ways to improve your chances of finding gold..... but there is no shortcut.

Dew

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a PI when I go to the beach so I have no choice but to dig everething,80 per cent of what I dig is junk.And some days the other 20 per cent makes it all worth it.Happy hunting.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
J

Joao

Jul 11, 2012
Portugal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for your answers. I'm a lot more elucidated. I have not bought a metal detector but I'll buy it. I am thinking of buying a metal detector on 150$-250$ range to use mostly on frequented beaches. What you think of that for a first experience ?

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
I would advise you to try and not be disappointed in the beginning. I started with a not very expensive detector myself, with a Garrett ACE 250. And I recommend to read a lot here on TNet as well as the link to the Golden Olde Sandman gave you (see above). Probably you don't have much competition in Portugal, so you should do well. The ACE only works good in dry sand where you don't find much jewelry but a lot of coins. But there are lots of different detectors, don't buy cheap China junk - you would soon regret it. You may be able to buy a good waterproof detector with the money you find. It took me only half a year here in Germany when there were almost no other beach hunters in my region, I used to find 20 - 25 Euros per hour on good days when the conditions were good, 10 - 15 Euros per hour was allways guaranteed. But you can never tell if a beach is good or not unless you try. It may be frustrating in the beginning - only junk, nothing at all, detector giving false signals, you can't dig signals because there are too many rocks, ..... Learn your detector, read the manual, observe the beach and people and conditions - go out and try! Get information about the laws and regulations regarding metal detecting in your region and country. I thought metal detecting is illegal in Portugal, you should find out to not be sorry later. Good luck.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Freshwater stats...for me. Gold can be found on first target. Usually its every 500 targets. With a spread to 1000 and as little as 1.

I have found well over 1000 targets in salt water environment and not one single piece of jewelry. I just can't seem to find a nice low cut...lol.

I can do sand and water to. The numbers your looking for are just probability. There are no garuantees. HH an GL. -Joe

Hi,

Thanx

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"Prospecting beaches" ....well I think most of us are doing this more for pleasure and the finds are mostly incidental.

Please do not expect too much ... the joys of metal detecting go way beyond monetary value.

For me..being out near the ocean...watching the sun set (or rise) ...watching the wildlife and maybe sometimes the bikinis.... when I can re-unite someone with a sentimentally precious item...It doesn't get any better than that!

If you want to try to make a living out of it (it ain't easy)...buy a Fisher F2 or Ace 250..go out there and use them as much as you can. If it really is for you ..you will learn what you need and how much you can make. Remember also that valuable things even when lost still belong to the loser. All states have laws on the books about at least attempting to TRY to return those valuable items whenever it's possible.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Joe said, today I even put my detector away to spend some time with vacationing families and their kids, complete strangers until today. About an hour into my hunt I spotted a "large" grey starfish in the bottom of the hole I was hunting so I put my stuff away and went back and captured the creature. For about the next hour or so that starfish became "beach star" in front of the cameras, kids letting it crawl in their hands as they watched it curl and slowly slink around. Eventually I took it out to deeper water and turned it lose but I sure had a ball with the kids for about an hour. Did manage a few silver pieces but that wasn't the highlight of my day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions