MG My AT PRO works well with a new coil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG My AT PRO works well with a new coil.

I have been bad mouthing my AT Pro since I got it as most of you know. Doctor Detroit bought me a brand new AT PRO which was better but still not up to my expectations. Well I bought a new coil for it and it is like a totally different detector now. It wasn't black sand in the coil cover as someone suggested in the older orginal coil. I can say that this is how the ATP must work for everyone that uses it and likes it. I can't use it naturally for diving with its ten foot limit, but I have better detectors for that. Still tests go on. The orginal coil must of had something wrong with it inside or the cable was not up to specs.:headbang:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear that Sandman.

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
Now that might be some great news, i have a new coil on the way and i sure hope that takes care of the saltwater problem for me or Else i have to het it shipped to germany for service/repair..

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
svensken77 said:
Now that might be some great news, i have a new coil on the way and i sure hope that takes care of the saltwater problem for me or Else i have to het it shipped to germany for service/repair..

Still you will be lucky if the AT PRO works well in the saltwater beaches near the water. Being a single freq detector it will have trouble with the salt and black sand together. But good luck with it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it works fine everywhere but in saltwater, there is nothing wrong with it. It just cant handle the beach where your trying to use it. You will need a dual frequency or PI detector.

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
Still you will be lucky if the AT PRO works well in the saltwater beaches near the water. Being a single freq detector it will have trouble with the salt and black sand together. But good luck with it.
Yes i just hope it will be a little better than it is now, I tried my Ace 350 along the waterline and that worked pretty good so i was thinking when i bought the AT PRO it would be better than the ACE even though i expected a little chatter or a false signal once in a while in the water but as it it now its really useless close to the water. Well i guess i just have to try the new coil and see how it works and hope for the best.
Its a killler on the dry sand though.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you discussing a new coil..... but neither of you have mentioned which coil? Sandman what kind of testing and what was your planed use of the AT Pro? You never here much about the AT Gold..... well except it wasnt quite as good as the Pro. Different application im sure.

Dew

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman,
Glad you got you're AT-Pro working.
Now you can see and appreciate what all of us fellow AT owners have been talking about.

By the way, did you get a new 8.5x11 DD or a new 5x8 DD?

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
The new coil didnt change anything for me. Still can't use it in saltwater. Really sucks, Waterhunting was the reason i upgaded from Ace 350 to the AT PRO because it's suppose to handle saltwater, Well not here in Sweden anyway. :( Now im stuck with 2 dry sand detectors instead..

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Svensken77,

I use mine on the beach all the time.

Before you give up on the AT-Pro in the ocean, try this!

First try to set the ground balance once the coil is underwater. Make sure you are in deep enough water that the coil stays fully submerged the whole time.. Mine balances right around 10 but beaches everywhere are different.
You might have to turn the sensitivity lower. Then try ground balancing again. I set mine around 3 bars under full most of the time. Try to get it to the highest setting you can without chatter.
There is one more trick. Change the frequency then try all the above again. You have 4 different frequencies on the AT.
Try them all until you find the one with the least amount of chatter using the highest sensitivity setting.
The directions are in the manual but here they are anyways. You have F1,F2,F3,& F4.
Frequency Adjustment -
hold down "pinpoint button" while tapping the " sensitivity button" + or - .
The AT-Pro has 4 frequencies it can work on. ( Used for interference from power lines or other detectors on big hunts.)

Last edited:

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
Svensken77,

I use mine on the beach all the time.

Before you give up on the AT-Pro in the ocean, try this!

First try to...
I have tried all of this with both the old and the new coil exept the Frequency that i only tried with the old one.
I use it in PRO mode, Zero, I think i have tried it both with iron audio ON and OFF. When i GB in water it sets to about 03-04 but its not getting quiet, and the display shows targets everywhere in all kinds of numbers and dephts, i tried to set down GB all the way to 00 and up without any result and on the old coil sensitivity down too without result. Now i forgot to try and loweer the sensitivity on the new coil so i will try that too next time just to make sure before i contact Garret and tell them the new coil didnt work better.
Maybe i have to send it to Germany for repair but i think its just too much black sand here and nothing wrong with the detector.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
svensken77 said:
I have tried all of this with both the old and the new coil exept the Frequency that i only tried with the old one.
I use it in PRO mode, Zero, I think i have tried it both with iron audio ON and OFF. When i GB in water it sets to about 03-04 but its not getting quiet, and the display shows targets everywhere in all kinds of numbers and dephts, i tried to set down GB all the way to 00 and up without any result and on the old coil sensitivity down too without result. Now i forgot to try and loweer the sensitivity on the new coil so i will try that too next time just to make sure before i contact Garret and tell them the new coil didnt work better.
Maybe i have to send it to Germany for repair but i think its just too much black sand here and nothing wrong with the detector.
I also use mine in pro mode zero.
Try starting out with the sensitivity at only 1 or 2 bars.
When you get it working properly then you can slowly up the sensitivity.

The only other thing I can think of that would cause the problems you describe is the beach you are on has a lot of metal in the water under the sand. If you turn on iron audio and it starts making those grunting sounds then there is probably iron under your coil. If that happens try to find a clean spot, or perhaps try a different beach a little further from home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you discussing a new coil..... but neither of you have mentioned which coil? Sandman what kind of testing and what was your planed use of the AT Pro? You never here much about the AT Gold..... well except it wasn't quite as good as the Pro. Different application im sure.

Dew

I just replaced the orginal coil on the ATP. I am the director of the Search & Recovery Team in Michigan and we clean local swim beaches of harmful and trash items that are in the water or on the sand so the park guests have a safe and clean place to swim. The Detector needs to be very sensitive to hot rocks, fish hooks or other items that can injure guests. We also inspect the bottom for paper trash or chicken bones that find their way into the swim areas. All gum, band-aids, medical wastes, plastic drink cups or anything that doesn't belong in the swim areas. We can't use Minelabs and most use Tiger Sharks because of the extreme sensitivity but stability. We charge the counties and lake associations for this service. Hey, somebody has to do it...:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread