DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm In ocean city Maryland for the week and I'm using a Tesoro Vaquero, so I definitely can't do any water hunting. Even just detecting wet sand is difficult, I tried tonite and after a few ghost signals I gave up. I may try again if I feel the need, but I'm just wondering for those who have been to ocean city or just those who hunt dry sand, what spots do you find to be better than others? People spread out quite a bit hear so it's hard to know. Also I'm on 54th street, so should I go down more towards the boardwalk? I was told 45th and lower would be better

Upvote 0

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HUNTING!!! :icon_thumleft: Hope you have some fun and get some sweet finds!! share your results wiith us!! I do not know the area so can not help there.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start gridding from the high water line (where the water came up to at high tide). Start gridding 30-foot long (detecting the dry sand along the high water line) sections at a time. This is called the "towel" or "umbrella" line. It is usually 75-feet deep (from the high-tide mark going inland). Work it tight and slow at first light or after the folks go home. The Vaquero is a KILLER in dry beach sand! Stay out of the wet. Big Gold!

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Good luck . Hope you find a nice piece of gold!!!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is right the towel lines early in the morning. I think the biggest mistake people make (to include me) starting out that have done a lot of dirt digging is trying to avoid digging targets. About the only thing i avoid is iron and some shallow bottle caps...... but you have to learn to kick the shallow targets like gum wrapper and dig it all for the best success.

Dew

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing about ocean City is that they clean the beaches and sift a lot of the dry sand. Are there any spots that may not get that well. Maybe by the high water mark? They sift 4-6inches so I could get away with what managed to sty deeper. Thanks for the tips

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Start gridding from the high water line (where the water came up to at high tide). Start gridding 30-foot long (detecting the dry sand along the high water line) sections at a time. This is called the "towel" or "umbrella" line. It is usually 75-feet deep (from the high-tide mark going inland). Work it tight and slow at first light or after the folks go home. The Vaquero is a KILLER in dry beach sand! Stay out of the wet. Big Gold!

Terry is right on. Remember, not everyone looses stuff worth finding and someone may have worked the same area and picked up the good stuff before you got there. It takes a lot of time and experience to get the hang of it and have any success. The saying goes, "Even a blind hog finds a nut once in a while." The blind hog is the lucky one, but if you want to find stuff worth keeping on a regular basis, you got to work at it, and work at it again. Happy Hunting

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses so far, I'm just hoping I might come away with something this year. I don't go to the beach a lot so I try to get out as much as I can here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread