jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If your wearing goggles do yourself a favor and bring the snorkel too. A scoop is always needed, don't leave it at home because you think fanning will prove to be a more effective technique (Fan and use your scoop with the goggles and snorkel is now most effective in my opinion, still have yet to try it).
Stingrays are plentiful, be careful where you walk or you might walk right into a 3 foot one... Stingrays are even more plentiful, be careful where you walk or you might step on the kind with camo that sit their waiting... A 25 lbs backpack of rocks is NOT a substitute to a weight vest nor is it enough weight to keep you down properly to fan. If you don't know your machine stick with factory setting, they actually work :exclamation: an lastly a realllllly hot 21 year old girl (my age) is not checking you out but staring at your metal detector instead, that walk away double take was for my metal detector.

Found 2 hairpins 2 rusted metal pieces 1 pulltab and too many close calls with stingrays. Spent a little over an hour hunting, this is NOT an easy hobby an i can see how quickly someone would get discouraged.

Let me know if you guys have any advice or opinions to give !

Upvote 0

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep plugin away ,the gold will come.when I first got my PI pro whitch is same as your's I found only junk for the first two weeks to a month,then all of a sudden gold,so don't get discouraged.
Happy hunting.:icon_thumleft:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my age you do the looking.... not getting looked. Takes a lot of digging but id think where you are at you will be in the money soon. You just got to remember to stop styling and get to digging lol.

Dew

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
At my age you do the looking.... not getting looked. Takes a lot of digging but id think where you are at you will be in the money soon. You just got to remember to stop styling and get to digging lol.

Dew

Stop styling ? What do you mean by this? I think for me to move quickly digging targets i need goggles, a snorkel, a weighted 40 lbs vest or belt, and my scoop. I think this is how i can be the most effective hunter and not spend forever digging targets!

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
The water I hunt in is too murky to see to fan targets so I exclusively use my stainless steel 12x8x6" scoop with heavy iron wood handle both in and out of the water. Iron wood does not float, so I have a foam cuff taped to the top to keep it upright if I drop it. I have seen videos of people fanning for a couple of minutes trying to recover a target. Learn to pin point and with this big heavy scoop your target is in the scoop 90% of the time on the first try. Go hunt where the people have been swimming and you will begin to find good stuff. Happy hunting.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont try using snorkel with goggles - get a good mask
I heard Cacun water can be rough in spots - dont try fanning - get yourself a large basket scoop with a long handle
you'll get your targets faster - (I fan in dead reef / hard bottom areas that a scoop cant be used )
only use a weight belt if you are a confident good swimmer
wear thick rubber soul dive shoe/boot in stingray waters - you should shuffle your feet - it usually will scare them up -
stingray usually feed at night and early morning - usually if you kick one up during the day - its cause he was sleeping

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting since 1973 and water hunting since 1989, I used to be a dedicated fishing but the day I started water hunting was the last day I fished. Iron, trash and junk, I dug LOTS but yet to be discouraged.I have found good items also. Excercise, peace of mind and enjoyment is my reward.

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Don't get discouraged in the beginning, we told you it takes a little while. Read what we answered to your first post before you bought your detector. When wearing a weight belt/vest make sure it has a quick release so you can drop it in case. People have drowned because of their weight belt. Being stung by a sting ray is an extremely painfull experience (believe me - I know first hand), so you want to avoid that. Good luck

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Being in Mexico it's very hard to pick and chose which scoop i purchase. Shipping plus about 30% tax on whatever i buy because of customs, i had a homemade scoop but like i said it's too flimsy. I met a fellow metal detectorist who lives about 5 hours away, he sent me some pictures of a scoop he would sell to me for 80-85 USD. What do you guys think? It's not a diamond head but looks like it's really good quality.

realscoop.jpg realscoop2.jpg realscoop3.jpg

Would really like further opinion since it's pretty much only scoop i can get my hands on

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
Given your circumstances....I think that scoop is well worth the money...good luck....hope ya find the big one!!!!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grab that scoop. You can't beat the price. It looks like one that was being sold on ebay last year, but I haven't seen the guy who was making them selling any this season.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the scoop, its a good price and from pictures it is worth the money..... Give up the fanning for now and stick to the scoop.... Remember the more area you cover, the more targets you have, the more targets you have the more potential gold to find..... Fanning is great under certain conditions.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions