Carbon Fiber Shafts.....Opinions......

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered an Anderson Carbon fiber over/under shaft as well and the isolator shaft in carbon fiber as well. I have heard that the weight savings and the lack of any metal(aluminum) in the setup helps stability and depth. Does anyone have any comments on this? I will let you know what I think when I get mine set up. Well over $200 worth of goods but if it manages just one extra gold ring per year I guess it is well worth it! I have been using a plugger shaft with the behind the elbow mount for my Excal and like it, but still a bit heavy for my liking. Should be here tomorrow and I will be hunting Sat. and Sun. mornings for about 3 hours each so I will give my opinions afterwards.

Aaron

Upvote 0

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I have the Anderson straight shaft on my Excal II. Works great but have the control unit waist mounted. Still heavy compared to my dual field. I ordered the dive kit from Whites for the straight rear section with the arm cuff, and the tall man lower rod. It is 10" longer than the standard lower rod. Works great and the coil no longer floats. The total cost was $60 plus shipping. Less than half the cost of an Anderson shaft. I have heard good things about the plugger shafts but never got to try one out yet.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Anderson straight shaft on my Excal II. Works great but have the control unit waist mounted. Still heavy compared to my dual field. I ordered the dive kit from Whites for the straight rear section with the arm cuff, and the tall man lower rod. It is 10" longer than the standard lower rod. Works great and the coil no longer floats. The total cost was $60 plus shipping. Less than half the cost of an Anderson shaft. I have heard good things about the plugger shafts but never got to try one out yet.

What's in the dive kit? I have a couple of Surfmasters that I would like to mod a bit.

Sent from my SX-SP715A using Tapatalk 2

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Have two Carbon Fibers, one is extra long for wide sweeping the other is standard length. Difference? Some places yes, others no. Performance? Not noticeable..........Also went with one EMI shielding the other none,,difference...very little if any at all. Over all was it worth the money, yes...every ounce counts (Helps) ..emi..Not sure

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of straight shaft or under the elbow mount, the way to reduce weight on the swinging arm is to either hip mount the controls or hang them from your neck in a simple homemade harness and neck strap. I made mine in ten minutes with a one inch dia lawn chair tube and electric drill for the bolts.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Mudflap...The dive kit is the entire dive shaft. You only use the back section from it ( the part with the arm cuff ). Keep the middle section from your S rod ( straight section ), and add the tall man lower fiber shaft to the front in place of the standard lower fiber rod. Much better balance and easy to work with in the water. Hope this helps...STUART

ForumRunner_20120718_212921.png

2012-07-15 04.38.42-1.jpg

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Have to check it out. I gotta do some bouyancy work on my loop also.

Sent from my SX-SP715A using Tapatalk 2

toyotaman3356

Jul 25, 2010
Cocoa Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Other
I love my Anderson Detector Shaft. Its one piece, nothing to slides around. I use mine in the Atlantic Ocean and when it gets rough it acts as a crutch. I chest mount the control box, so all I have on my arm is the shaft and coil. This set up is super light. I have an interview with Pete Anderson. If you would like to here it go to Let's Talk About Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting and look at shows.

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
toyotaman3356 said:
I love my Anderson Detector Shaft. Its one piece, nothing to slides around. I use mine in the Atlantic Ocean and when it gets rough it acts as a crutch. I chest mount the control box, so all I have on my arm is the shaft and coil. This set up is super light. I have an interview with Pete Anderson. If you would like to here it go to Let's Talk About Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting and look at shows.

Would you mind posting a picture of your chest mount set up? Im considering doing this instead of the hip mount because I use a weight belt.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt be looking at the fiber for weight savings..... but i tell you im getting tired of the darn things locking up. If you dont take them APART they lock up in no time. Thats why i think the Carbon fiber would be the best.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread